300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email identity Theft - Question For Group

As you know, when you sign up for different online groups like twitter, Facebook, etc., the website in question in sends a confirming message to the email account you signed up with. Once you acknowledge that confirming message they know you are for real and activate the account you requested.

I have a Gmail account that consists of three numbers and three letters that have little significance to anyone but me, such as [email protected] (not my real email account). Over the past few months I have received several messages sent to that particular email address from websites like Facebook, Pinterest and others, asking me to confirm account activation requests I never made. The names these emails were sent to were all different and included one that was Russian and one that was Arabic. They number/letter combination of my email address is not common or something people would think of off the top of their head yet this has happened too many times to be random chance.

Any thoughts on what’s going on?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

How do we know it's YOU that posted this question???

It's probably someone who've you've had correspondence with who's email was hacked. Happens all the time...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I guess my question more is, why try to open an account under someone else's email when you know they won't confirm, or if they do, they will control the account instead of the hacker? It seems pointless.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

probably generic spam to see if the address is active.
        September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          I guess my question more is, why try to open an account under someone else's email when you know they won't confirm, or if they do, they will control the account instead of the hacker? It seems pointless.
          any number of reasons why ranging from criminal reasons to just not wanting to be tracked.

You would be surprised how many people would just click on the confirmation and move on either not caring or not remembering if they set that account up or not.

Unfortunately there are some real stoopid people out there ---but you know that
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's BS, select all and delete. JMHO.
            trust your dog

Comment

I would suggest looking into your spam filter settings to see if you can upgrade them in any way.
              Super Secret Ninja Squirrel
              "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

I think it's Sully...
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

There are random programs out there that send out mass emails to various domains (especially the free email providers) to see if they get any responses. When they do get a response, the email addy is placed in a database that is then rented/sold to marketing companies and/or other people who would be looking for bulk people to spam.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    Any thoughts on what’s going on?
                    Business as usual, happens all the time, nothing new, even for your supposedly super "unique" and special email address.

Fact is, there are hundreds of thousands of different websites which offer email around the globe for different languages. Chances are someone in China or India or Russia or wherever has your email address on a different domain. If that happens they just take [email protected] and change it to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc and hope for a bite.

To get the local part of the email (before the @) all it takes is using that address on one website which sells/trades their membership contact details, visit a website that saves a cookie with that email address and then visit another website which is able to read it, or have the website membership details database exposed. From there that email is going to be passed around faster than a bong at a frat house.

I just click mark as spam and move on. Nothing to see here.
                    “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Having been hacked more than once I'd say don't poo-poo it and get someone that understands cyber issues to look into it for you....just to be safe....because it could be a lot of different things.

They have to actually look at your specific situation to correctly analyze it. I can't tell you how many
                      "experts" have gotten things wrong with regard to guessing when my systems were penetrated.
                      Last edited by EmmaPeel; 06-07-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

If it's bad enough, you could request your email provider change your email and have all messages forwarded to a new account.

Google Mail just lets you add accounts you want forwarded to your inbox, last I checked.
                        "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                          There are random programs out there that send out mass emails to various domains (especially the free email providers) to see if they get any responses. When they do get a response, the email addy is placed in a database that is then rented/sold to marketing companies and/or other people who would be looking for bulk people to spam.
                          The same with those one ring calls and/or the immediate hang up calls you get on a land line (if you still have one)

It's a phishing scheme to see if the phone number is valid---------so much so for the email addy

Just another posibility
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Oh, yeah, and:

With Gmail, you can actually add words to your email address when signing up on a website to help filter and reduce spam by adding +[text] after the local name and before the @.

Example, say you are signing up for a "news" website, which are pretty notorious for selling/trading/sharing their membership lists, make your signup email address [email protected]. Start getting spam email to "[email protected]" and 1) you can filter and 2) you know who spread your email address.

You can do the same with dots, if you are so inclined. Gmail doesn't care about dots. [email protected] is the same as [email protected] is the same as [email protected] is the same as [email protected]

Spammers don't filter it though.
                            “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
                              With Gmail, you can actually add words to your email address when signing up on a website to help filter and reduce spam by adding +[text] after the local name and before the @.
                              I had never heard of that before. Interesting...
                              "SSNS"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12132 users online. 498 members and 11634 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X