X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redders
    replied
    Originally posted by Forest
    Felony stop when no evidence of a felony occurred? Officer had no reason to even stop the car much less restraign the occupants. This is called kidnapping. Everything that occurred after being pulled over is a criminal act and the policemen involved should be brought under a Grand Jury indictment. Some officers of the law think citizens rights are open to their interpretations. Where was the PC to even stop the family? Littering? How about the felony stop? There was no felony.
    Everyone is talking about the dog being shot but why did the stop even occur?
    Wow you obviously need to do some self education about the intricasies of constituational law. If you would be so willing study whats called a "Terry" Stop.

Leave a comment:

• blueronin
    replied
    I'm sorry I'm a cop and I have had to put a dangerous dog down, and that wasn't it. If I had been there on the job, I would have beat that a**h*le to within an inch of his life. If I was his superior I would have fired him, and blacklisted him for that absolutlely stupid move. My uncle is a retired trooper down there, and he said that there wasn't much posative about him before the incident. That is a very sad excuse for a cop. Period. He gives the rest of us a bad name.

Leave a comment:

• The Colonel(44)
    replied
    Originally posted by Shaky & Blue
    There's a story out of Tennessee where state police stopped a North Carolina family on the suspicion they had been involved in a robbery, then shot their dog:

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/03/01/27473390.shtml

There's even video at that site of the entire incident from the trooper's dashcam.

Reaction to the story has not been favorable to the police. In fact, the troopers are getting raked over the coals on one of the media websites. "If you're going to be afraid of a dog that's wagging his tail like that, you don't need to be a police officer," one message quotes. (You don't have to be registered to participate in the conversation over there, so please feel free to join that discussion.)

I'm curious about how folks on this board react to this story. Was the shooting reasonable?

It turns out there actually was no robbery at all. The driver had left his wallet sitting on top of his car at their last fuel stop. When it fell off, cash flew out of it and spread across the road. An anonymous caller who saw it dialed police from a cellphone and reported a suspicious vehicle with money flying out of the windows.

Even though no robberies had been reported, the car was still stopped on a suspicion of being involved in a robbery. Is this normal procedure?

Opinions?
    Feel free to send that trooper to my neighborhood we have to many large Dogs roaming the woods in packs,Now that's a scary moment while out walking a to meet up with a large pack of Dogs!

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell_in_CT
    replied
    Well...that would do it...

Leave a comment:

• Welpe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT
    Um...no. I was being serious...

I mean, I want to know if the dog ate a magazine of something and lived, because I want to make sure not to carry that round.

If the dog took 1 hit from something and was DRT, well...I wanna know that too.
    I believe it was with a 12 guage...one shot.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell_in_CT
    replied
    Um...no. I was being serious...

I mean, I want to know if the dog ate a magazine of something and lived, because I want to make sure not to carry that round.

If the dog took 1 hit from something and was DRT, well...I wanna know that too.

Leave a comment:

• 1042 Trooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT
    Um, call me morbid, but what the hell...

What was the dog shot with?

How many times?

Did the ammo work?

Did the bullet exit the animal?

Did dogy survive?

Were any changes in ammo or calibur recomended as a result of the shooting?

Thanks.
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell_in_CT
    replied
    Um, call me morbid, but what the hell...

What was the dog shot with?

How many times?

Did the ammo work?

Did the bullet exit the animal?

Did dogy survive?

Were any changes in ammo or calibur recomended as a result of the shooting?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• 1042 Trooper
    replied
    Felony stop when no evidence of a felony occurred?
    As a surveyor, you probably don't understand the law. A police officer has legal grounds for arresting felony suspects - whether or not a felony has in fact ocurred - so long as he has resonable information to investigate.
    Officer had no reason to even stop the car much less restraign the occupants.
    Wrong again, same reason.
    This is called kidnapping.
    Nope. Sorry.
    Everything that occurred after being pulled over is a criminal act
    and the policemen involved should be brought under a Grand Jury indictment.
    For what?
    Some officers of the law think citizens rights are open to their interpretations. Where was the PC to even stop the family? Littering? How about the felony stop? There was no felony.
    As I said above, the report was good enough. The law allows this.
    It's called suspicious circumstances. And, no matter what else does or does not pan out, a dog charges me, he's dead. Period.

But...hey...why did this old thread get regurgitated, anyway?
    Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 12-14-2006, 11:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MO Trooper
    replied
    Felony stop when no evidence of a felony occurred? Officer had no reason to even stop the car much less restraign the occupants. This is called kidnapping. Everything that occurred after being pulled over is a criminal act and the policemen involved should be brought under a Grand Jury indictment. Some officers of the law think citizens rights are open to their interpretations. Where was the PC to even stop the family? Littering? How about the felony stop? There was no felony.
    The article said they were stopped for suspicion of armed robbery. A felony stop was absolutely called for under the circumstances. Apparently, the dispatchers involved were mistaken. The officers could only go on what they were told. I would be interested to know how the dispatchers came up with the information. I suspect this originated with a bad or false report from a citizen. I don't see how the dispatchers could have come up with a bad robbery report, complete with vehicle description, on their own.

And yes, we do stop vehicles regularly in reference to reported crimes. Citizen reports are generally held to be reliable. Sometimes they aren't, but you don't have the luxury of second guessing the reporting party when the supposed get away car is right in front of you. Its too bad about the dog. It sounds like this was just an honest mistake.

Leave a comment:

• Forest
    replied
    Last edited by Forest; 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Interceptor
    replied
    Hmmm... If they dog was attacking him thats one thing.

All I gotta say is anyone shoots my dog, they are going to get shot as well. My dogs are family, and no one, not even other officers, mess with my family.

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    Wow, a thread from January 2003.

Leave a comment:

• the Chools
    replied
    Without knowing any details, I will say this: Working in people's homes, I've been bitten FOUR TIMES by "friendly dogs that won't hurt anyone."

I'm not saying the officer was right in this case, but I AM saying that it's hard to tell a friendly dog from a mean one, and it's hard to tell when a friendly dog will switch from "family pet mode" to "family protector mode".

Leave a comment:

• CWMQKClady
    replied
    robmmc
    NO LONGER ACTIVE

coming soon....we hope

Edit: wish came true...he's gone
    Last edited by CWMQKClady; 12-13-2006, 12:34 PM. Reason: anti-LE poster gone

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4054 users online. 283 members and 3771 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X