Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:
    Originally posted by Mike Tx:
    A family dog in the car with them, with rabies? That's stretching it don't you think?

quote:
    you're told that a car is driving down the road at 110 mph with money flying from it and that's not what you consider high risk? i sincerely hope you aren't this naive.
    Why didn't they get a speeding ticket?
    Hey, if you don't know the dog, then you don't know. Some people just don't take care of their animals, and yes, it is not impossible that a family dog can be in the car AND carry Rabies. We are talking about getting bit, not just some dog sitting in the backseat with Jr. And then there is the point that this unfolded in how much time???? None of the Officers or Troopers knew at the precise moment the dog exited the vehicle that this was just an innocent family on vacation. They found that out later.

You do know what they say about assuming something, don't you? Most people just look like the ***....cops get seriously hurt or killed.

Comment

• quote:
      Originally posted by Deputy757:
      Didn't 110 mph also come from the same reporting person who called in the possible robbery?

the article i read said the person reported they were going "at a high rate of speed." unless she had a radar gun, she couldnt know how fast. this thing is taking on a life of it's own... it's gonna end up on the urban legends website...

i think mistakes were made... however i wasnt there, and i'm not a LEO. it makes me think a little tho, because my bulldog/boxer rides in the front seat next to me, with a leash on but unsecured. she is VERY friendly and curious, and would go toward whoever came up to the car. she wears a pinch collar, and people think shes a pit bull... i think i'll be nervous if i ever get stopped and shes in the car.

[ 01-12-2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
      "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

• Well, many people call in about reckless drivers and give "approximate" speeds. I thought she was the one that said 110 mph though.
        It's interesting though...many people have adamantly stated that the dog was not growling or acting aggresively based on what they saw and heard on the video. Others, including the officer in question, have stated that the dog was doing those things...also based on what they (except for the officer) saw on the video. So much for eyewitness testimony!

Comment

• if you listen to the 911 call from the intial caller, the lady said they passed her and she thought they were going about 110mph.

Comment

• I haven't been able to verify ANY of this, but according to a former THP friend, Cookeville PD has a history of 'over reacting, being heavy handed, etc'.

www.putnampit.com

The above website SUPPOSEDLY contains examples of this history(I can't check from school. It's BLOCKED).

[ 01-13-2003, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
            -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• It's the song that never ends....la lala la la la la lalala
              BBFOR213

Comment

• I haven't had time to read all the posts, but I was able to skim the articles. As soon as I read that the dog "was following" the officer (as he was backing away from it with a shotgun), I knew this was probably your typical media lynching. Oh sure, the poor little puppy was just "following" the big mean officer who shot him dead for no reason.

Okay, I'm not a cop, but I have trained and bred dogs and I was also a mail carrier for a while. A few stories: Once I turned up a driveway to a house where a couple was sitting on their front porch with a small pomerianian. The dog jumped off the porch, dashed around a bush toward me, and bite me in the knee, then dashed back. When I reached the porch the owners smiled and said, "Oh don't worry about him, he WON'T BITE."

Another day as I was about to put mail in a porch mailbox, an elderly woman cracked the door open to take the mail from me and her miniature schauzer jumped out and up and bit my hand. The lady was oblivious.

There was one house that was ruled by a mean looking lab who came snarling and snapping to the front door daily. One day as I turned up the front sidewalk, a little girl opened the door from the inside and the dog bolted out and toward me. [Eek!] He lunged toward me, ripped the letters out of me hand, and trotted happily back inside! Whew!

The worst incident happened when a German Shepherd tackled the storm door of his abode as I stepped up onto HIS porch. He came bursting through the storm door snapping and lunging at me (not the mail). Thank God I had 30 lbs of mail in a leather bag in front of me or I'd be dead now. Somehow we both ended up down on the lawn with him ripping my wool uniform to shreds and me trying to protect myself with my leather bag and shouting at him in my most authoritative dog trainer voice "NO!! DOWN!!" There was NO WAY I could get to my pepper spray at that point. I was too busy trying to stay alive. Again - THANK GOD, his owners heard me screaming and managed to get control of the animal and I continuted to shake violently for the rest of the afternoon. I heard they put the dog down a few days later.

So, therefore, if I had a gun and a pit bull type dog was coming at me at a high rate of speed (as described in a different article), I would likely shoot him myself. The officer did no wrong. People, control your pets.

Comment

• quote:
                  People, control your pets.
                  Kinda hard to do if you're wearing handcuffs.....
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                  -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• quote:
                    Originally posted by shooter1201:
                    quote:
                    People, control your pets.
                    Kinda hard to do if you're wearing handcuffs.....
                    The control comes long before an incident occurs. Either secure the animal to the seats with a leash, or put them in a crate (requires a larger vehicle though). My dogs travel "secured". No chance they are going to get out if a door is left open. Now if the police want to search my vehicle, I'm going to have to re-secure them somewhere else. They would have a hard time explaining that they were forced to shoot the dog so that they could complete a search of the vehicle.
                    Another, more commonsense reason to secure your animal.....if you are in an accident, do you really want a 20,30,40,50,60 or whatever pound object being slung around inside your vehicle?
                    I don't.......

Comment

• quote:
                      It's not as easy when it's your *** on the line. I just can't imagine if these ppl were armed and a snarling dog charged them that they would play with it.
                      Several of the comments from Medialine included in the above quoted post were from me.. so I'd like to respond to this..

I was once walking my mom's cocker spaniel when three rottweilers came running from a house. I grabbed her dog, stuffed him under me and held his muzzle so he couldn't make much noise. I protected the dog with my body as the rotts sniffed and growled. I spoke to the dogs firmly and told them to go home several times. Finally their owner came out, and they went back home.
                      Probably not my most brilliant moment, but yes, I do know what it is like to have a moment to react when you could be in danger.
                      Granted, I wouldn't encourage anybody else to do that, but you are making some pretty big assumptions yourself when you pretend that cops are the only ones to have dealt with dangerous situations and had to make quick choices.

I'd also like to say that, like any profession, there are some people who probably don't belong in the media - those who will do anything for ratings and don't care who they hurt. But, I beleive that far and away, the majority get into the field because they want to tell people's stories - to "root for the underdog," so to speak.
                      But if there's some form of corruption going on then yes - it is their job to report it. Did you lose money in Enron stock? Consider how easily that could have been brushed under the table if the media had not gotten ahold of it? And I'm sure those officials hate the media for that. But a society without a media - now that's a real problem..

Comment

• quote:
                        www.putnampit.com:
                        Can you say pepper spray or night stick.

Enough said.
                        Morons.

quote:
                        media type:
                        But a society without a media - now that's a real problem..

Yes, I agree. Now try to imagine a media that could be trusted to tell the truth. That would be even better.

[ 01-13-2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Oink ]
                        All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

• What's even worse about the media is that in some countries the media want to tell the truth and can't, and in this country they can tell the truth and won't.

Comment

• You know, Mike Tx, there's a lot of what you say that I don't agree with, but this one is just too true...
                            "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. " -- ???

Comment

• quote:
                              Originally posted by jellybean40:
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Deputy757:
                              Didn't 110 mph also come from the same reporting person who called in the possible robbery?

the article i read said the person reported they were going "at a high rate of speed." unless she had a radar gun, she couldnt know how fast.
                              I would seriously question the "110 mph" figure. To begin with, the actual speed of the car being driven by the reporting person is necessary before any possible idea of what "high rate of speed" might imply. The information I have read seems to indicate that the informant was a mature female, which probably means that she was not, herself, going more than about 65 or 70 mph, even if the normal traffic goes faster than that. Secondly, the speed differential between the car you are in and the car that passes you always seems to be a lot more than it is, and most people are notoriously poor at guaging what that difference is. I, myself, often think that I am being passed with a speed differential of more than 15 mph when in reality the true difference is more like 5 mph. Each 15 mph speed differential is 22 feet/second, meaning that a vehicle overtaking yours at 15 mph will pass your position in less than a second (no normal car is 22 feet long); the average car would clear a given point on the car bein passed in about .7 second if the speed differential is only 15 mph. I strongly doubt that the differential in this case was any more than that, which would put the minivan/SUV traveling about 80-85 mph, or not much more than what was suggested as being the normal traffic velocity. A speed of 110 mph would have been about 40-45 mph faster than the reporting person was probably driving, which would be about 60 feet/second or more, and a vehicle of about 20 feet would have been alongside for about 1/3 second or less. This is a very rapid passage and I doubt that most people are able to discern this level of diffential with any precision. Actually, I doubt that most people know enough about the physics to know what the numbers involved would be, in the first place.

The upshot is, I have serious doubts about the speed of the suspect vehicle being anywhere near 110 mph--I would guess 90 mph on the upside and more probably 80.

MHO
                              DaveInTx
                              Texan By Choice, not Accident

Comment

• I was going to add my 2 cents to this topic, but most of what I could have post has already be posted.

As I just finished posting on another topic, I looked down at my signature and thought it might add to this topic. Though the quote has nothing to do with this topic, I thought I might add it.

So did the Officer that shot the poor pooch really say to the dog, "are you going to bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite" and then BAM!!! shoot him?
                                "are you going to bark all day little doggie or are you going to bite"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4571 users online. 311 members and 4260 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X