Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I just don't see the high risk in this stop. What luck are you talking about?

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by everyones favorite dispatcher:
      well, i have not seen the tape but who shot the dog the trooper or the pd officer?

The Cookeville PD Officer Eric Hall shot the dog(Patton).
      All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Mike Tx:
        I guess I just don't see the high risk in this stop.

you're told that a car is driving down the road at 110 mph with money flying from it and that's not what you consider high risk? i sincerely hope you aren't this naive.

at 17:20:31, the driver mentions he has a dog in the car.
        at 17:20:37, the dog exits the car.
        at 17:20:39, the dog is shot.

the dog went out of the car, circled to the left side and was headed straight for the officer. if you can put a firearm down and grab pepper spray in 2 seconds, give me your doctor's phone number because you're going to get bitten.

i think this would have been a nightmare, not only for the people who were stopped, but the officers involved. i don't see any fault in the officers though.

Comment

The most disturbing part of this for me is the statement "the dog was a pitbull a vicous breed of dog". I don't believe that one breed of dog is anymore dangerous/docile than another breed it is how they are brought up. Aside from that this statement does nothing but say that police deal in steriotypes. Of all professions in the world I think officers should be the LAST ones to do that. Hey 80% of the prison population is african american I guess that makes them a criminal breed of human in the eyes of officers.

Comment

a lot of dogs that i've encountered were friendly. i'll even stand there and pet the family dog while taking a report. i've also ran into some dogs that would take my arm off. i'm not going to debate which category this dog falls into while on the side of the road in the middle of a felony traffic stop. and i don't care what breed it is.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by RoadRunner440:
              Hey 80% of the prison population is african american I guess that makes them a criminal breed of human in the eyes of officers.

There is a big difference between a dog and a human. [Eek!]
              All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

110 MPH .... [Eek!] That alone (IMO) would give the officers cause to be concerned. People don't generally drive that fast (not even ME). As I mentioned in another thread, I've had guns drawn on me. I totally respect the officers for being cool headed and NOT shooting me. I also totally UNDERSTAND why they did it.

I love my dog more than anything and if he got shot I'd die, I'd run out in front of a moving car to save him. I really love him.... and when he rides in the car with me... I DON'T SPEED...

in fact... I would've closed the car door myself when I got out, even if it caused the officer to shoot me, which I sincerely don't think it would.

This is a sad situation. But... if they really were driving 110 MPH... they are partially responsible for the situation they are in right now.

110? with your family in the car?? geez...
                Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Oink:
                  quote:
                  Hey 80% of the prison population is african american I guess that makes them a criminal breed of human in the eyes of officers.

There is a big difference between a dog and a human. [Eek!]
                  Yep there is a big difference between a human and a dog but a steriotype is a steriotype no matter if its a human,dog,dinosaur. If they are going to say Officer Hall was more justified in shooting the dog because of its breed then I am pretty sure they apply the same logic across the board.

Comment

Where did the 110mph come from? 110/70 is a MISDEMEANOR traffic violation....NOT worthy of a Felony Stop in itself. I drive I-40 a LOT. The NORMAL speed on I-40 is 80-85mph. I'd like to know WHAT mini-van, fully loaded, would do 110mph? I may have to give this whole 'mini-van thingy' another thought.

[ 01-12-2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
                    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• Didn't 110 mph also come from the same reporting person who called in the possible robbery?

Comment

• quote:
                        Originally posted by Frank Booth:
                        quote:
                        It's against the law to point a weapon at someone not commiting the crime of putting you in danger of death or serious injury.
                        Which law is it against?
                        Actually, a municipality in my jurisdiction has a Pointing and Presenting a Firearm statute on the books.

Note: I am in no way taking up for Sullivan here, just answering Frank's question.

Comment

• quote:
                          Yep there is a big difference between a human and a dog but a steriotype is a steriotype no matter if its a human,dog,dinosaur. If they are going to say Officer Hall was more justified in shooting the dog because of its breed then I am pretty sure they apply the same logic across the board.

Actually it's spelled stereotype, not steriotype.

And I also think your theory on stereotyping is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! Simply because I am more apprehensive around pitbulls, does not mean I'm going to be applying the same standard to groups of people based on their race. To suggest that is totally asinine!

[ 01-12-2003, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: SpecOpsWarrior ]

Comment

• quote:
                            Actually, a municipality in my jurisdiction has a Pointing and Presenting a Firearm statute on the books.

I'd be willing to be there is an element of intent in that misdemeanor law that wasn't met by the cops in this case. By the way, how much money to cops in TN make? Anyone know?

Comment

• I have to agree that this is a tragedy for both the people involved and the officers. After seeing the video, there are only a couple of things I might have done differently. After the subjects were handcuffed, I would have secured them in patrol cars separately before talking to them. Then I would have approached the car to clear it. Even saying that, I still think the dog probably would have gotten shot. Sure, it would have been better if the dog had not been shot, but with the information the officers had and the reaction of the dog I don't see that anyone did anything wrong. It's just unfortunate. The argument about if it were a three year old child in the car is just ridiculous. If a three year old child had been in the car, by law it would have supposed to have been secured in a child restraint device and unable to exit the car anyway. If the child had not been restrained and exited the car, it would have been the fault of the driver of the car, NOT the officer. It would have been tragic if a child had gotten injured, but not the officer's fault. The big thing is that I was not there. The officers involved did the best they knew how with the information, which may have been flawed, that they were given. I'm not gonna second guess them about shooting the dog. If I felt that the dog was gonna bite me, I may have shot it too.

Comment

• quote:
                                Originally posted by SpecOpsWarrior:

texas has a law about pointing a firearm:
                                [i]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2555 users online. 166 members and 2389 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X