300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    THP STATEMENT ON SMOAK FAMILY INCIDENT:Lieutenant Andrews is seen closing the driver side door of the car, but no move is made to close the door on the passenger side. When asked during our investigation why the passenger door was not closed, Lieutenant Andrews indicated that if he or another officer had moved to that side of the car, he would have been in the line of any potential crossfire. Remember – at this time, the Troopers on the scene were still under the impression that a felony may have been committed, and were acting accordingly.

In the last six months of 2002, The Tennessee Highway Patrol wrote more than 190 thousand traffic citations, and made nearly eight hundred felony arrests, not felony DUIs.

THP STATEMENT ON SMOAK FAMILY INCIDENT
    All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Oink:
      the media didn't even bother to find out why the officers did what they did. They didn't bother to explain the whole story - That the stop was by the book, no crime was commited by the officers, and that the officer shot the dog in fear of his safety.

Actually, the newspaper article to which I linked reported the results of the troopers' investigation into the incident, which did in fact clear the officers involved.

On the subject of finding out why the officers reacted as they did, I wasn't there, so I can't say how this particular case went. But I can say from experience, the way this usually happens is that when the incident first takes place the civilians involved cry and moan to anyone who'll listen. Any witnesses among the "sheeple" (great term, by the way) nearby will also talk, with all their biases and personal psychoses.

When we get all this stuff from the alleged "victims" of the alleged police misconduct, our next step is to approach police to get their side of it, their answers to the allegations against them. They almost never talk.

Usually they can't give their side of it immediately, because it will be "under investigation." Believe it or not, the majority of us understand that. Ideally we'd like to talk to the actual officer involved. Believe it or not, most of us realize he or she can't talk to us either.

We want to know why the cops reacted as they did, and we WILL ask. When or if we get an answer, we include it in the story. But you guys are at a disadvantage from the outset, since you can't answer that question when we ask, and we cannot speculate as to police motives; we have to hear it from the police themselves before we can report it. In this dog case, even if I'm personally convinced that the officer acted appropriately, I cannot present that viewpoint until one of the actual participants in the story, specifically the police agency, publicly takes that position.

Because of the necessary delay in the department's release of any such information, we are presented with a serious problem. All we have is one side. We have to air a one-sided story, which is abhorrent to us. Almost any journalist will prefer to have both sides of a story, in order to present a fair and balanced report. Yet, we can't hold the story if it's newsworthy. If we hold it until the police are ready to release their version of the incident, the information we held is old, so it is no longer "news."

So we go with what we have, as imperfect as it may be, just as police in this dog incident had to go with imperfect information. Police conduct their investigations and release what they find, and we report what they say.

Meanwhile, you think we're out to get you, when we aren't. We're just following our established procedures, just like the cops. Don't ever assume that just because you don't see it on the news, the question wasn't asked. The PIOs among you will know that we ask an awful lot of seemingly stupid questions (like asking for information on a case like this when we KNOW it's under investigation and you can't talk yet); those stupid questions are the ones that, if they could be answered, would dissolve this entire misunderstanding.

Comment

If I were an officer in that situation, I would have shot the dog.

Comment

quote:
          The reporters smacking on cops are doing it because of attitudes like yours....
          All we as LEOs and as citizens expect from you guys is to TELL THGE TRUTH.
          It is great you chose Rodney "the criminal" King as your name.
          Who many networks or paper guys TELL you or SHOW you the COMPLETE tape?
          Why not? I think it is to see who can stir the bigger pot.

TG
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I couldn't tell if the dog was attacking or not...it was a bad video. What a terrible tragedy. But, if the officer was in danger then he did the right thing. If i was being attacked I would've killed the dog too. Don't get me wrong I lov my dog & i think what happened was TERRIBLE. And as much as pet owners love their pets ( me included) it was a DOG and the man who shot it is HUMAN. If the dog stepped out of the car, sat down and stayed put & he blew it's head off I'd say he was wrong but I didn't see that happening here.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by DesertRat:
              I was in the exact same situation as this poor guy. The one I shot was a collie. There was no video, but finally, they found about an 11 year old kid that was standing in his driveway about 3 houses down and he backed my story 100%. In the mean time, I was lighting up the front page of the newspaper every day with captions like "Dog Killer, Loose Cannon" etc. After they found the kid, the story just disappeared, no retraction, no apology, nothing.

I was going to leave off this and go to bed, but your post bothered me enough that I had to get up and tell you a story.

One night when I was 17 years old I was on my way to my father's office, down a dark road in an industrial area, to practice my saxophone where there were no people to be annoyed by my squawking. When I was almost there, suddenly out of nowhere there came headlights, flashing reds and blues and the blare of a siren. The cop had been following me with his headlights off and had suddenly hit everything, and it scared the crap out of me. He weaved back and forth behind me on my bumper very aggressively.

I pulled into the parking lot of my dad's building, and he damn near spun his cruiser around in front of me, put his spotlight on me, jumped out behind his door and drew his pistol. Although I was shaking, I followed his instructions to the letter. He didn't seem to believe my explanation for my presence in that area that late until I directed him to the name on the sign on the office, which matched my last name. By this time other officers had arrived, and he holstered his weapon. They went ahead and searched me and the truck, then finally were convinced I wasn't a threat.

I stopped shaking enough to ask what it was all about, and it turns out that there had been a robbery earlier in the evening in the area. The only vehicle described was a "dark-colored truck," which matched mine (and thousands of others). The guy actually seemed a little embarrassed by the mixup.

But he never apologized to me for nearly making me soil my drawers. Instead, he said that I had drawn attention to myself because I was going too fast, when I was actually going under the speed limit because the road was dark, that old '59 Chevy truck's headlights weren't that great and there had been deer strikes in the area. Even at the end, he found some way to make it "my fault" that he had stopped me, when I was just minding my own business.

Should he have apologized? In retrospect, absolutely not. He was simply doing his job, following up on what he perceived to be a possible break in that robbery case. He had no reason to apologize.

In the Smoak family incident, I noticed that TSP issued their sympathies, but they also did not apologize for stopping the family on erroneous information. As they said, the troopers were doing their jobs and following procedure.

Likewise, when the media reported your incident, they were simply doing their jobs and following their procedures. Until that witness came forward, and until your agency told them about it, they could only report the facts that they had (that you shot a dog) and relay what they were told by the people who could talk to them (the owner, I'm guessing?).

So, should they have apologized for simply doing their jobs? Should that cop in Alabama who gave me the shakes for the next few hours? Should the TSP?

I find it hard to believe the news media in your area simply dropped the story without reporting that the witness corroborrated your story. That's one more day of coverage they would be able to get out of it, and it would mean the resolution to the story overall, both very attractive for any media outlet. I'm guessing they DID report the outcome and were quickly on to the next story. Miss the newscast, and you missed the end of the story. After that, it's no longer going on, so it's no longer news, and it would naturally then "disappear," as you said, with no apology necessary.

You do, of course, have my sympathies for your ordeal.

Comment

"Meanwhile, you think we're out to get you"

This is because we are paranoid.

The problem with the media is the constant biased reporting. (Shaky: The article you linked to seemed fine to me) And BS 'news', Here in Toronto right now we have the star stirring up trouble about 'racial profiling', So many ppl trust the media to bring them unbiased truth, but that's not the way it is. Many ppl lack the intelligence to be able to question what they see and hear, The fact of the matter is for the most part the media is a buisiness, Not a bunch of heroes out to expose the truth.
                If the readers want to hear about 'racial profiling' then the news will be invented, statistics interpreted to prove whatever the media wants to prove. And the readers will believe it without question because the media are the holy seekers of truth.
                All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

NO offense here guys, but if you thought this stop was done by the book, I sure hope you're not my backup. The tactics used were horrendous. Also, yeah, training dictates shooting a charging dog, but also common sense should help you to decipher when a dog is dangerous and when not. This is clearly a situation where the dog is NOT dangerous. I could list dozens of points where the tactics used frighten me, maybe that's just the way its done in the backwoods, maybe not.

For more interesting discussion on this topic and others(and generally just a GREAT SITE, look at www.lineofduty.com, and go to their "blotter section". this site is one of my primary sources of news).
                  Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Commercial break? LOL
                    Um , The Internal investigation report on the Smoak incident says it was by the book. I'm just taking their word for it, but I'm curious what wasn't by the book?

Comment

quote:
                      Anti-media???
                      I am anti-media! All they're interested in is sensationalizing everything and stirring up trouble. They don't care about anybody. And the sheeple get all worked up!

Why is it wrong for news people to characterize "all cops" as this-or-that but it's acceptable for a police officer to say "all media" is this-or-that?

I'm betting you, in particular, have not had the opportunity to sample "all media"--every TV newscast, radio newscast, newspaper, and magazine--in the U.S. But you're ready to damn them all without evidence.

Isn't that irresponsible?

Comment

quote:
                        That media bb is interesting. no shortage of uneducated opinions there, I doubt any of those ppl are the slightest bit interested in hearing the other side of the story.

Again, this poster complains about "uneducated opinions" on the part of the media people. But I could say the same thing about the opinions expressed on this board about the media. And then you assume no one wants to hear the other side of the story.

Watch your PIO work someday when we ask for "your side of the story." It would be very educational for you to hear what they tell us. Also surprising, I think.

Comment

It's no more irresponsible for the media(in general) to CONSTANTLY demonize LEO, teachers, doctors, etc(in general)....without first VERIFYING the FACTS.

UNbiased journalism went out with the Vietnam War.

[ 01-10-2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
                          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                          -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I am not anti police in any way. As a matter of fact I have great respect for the police, and I would never want to do their job. Too scary.

I just watched an interview of the family that had their dog killed. I just have one question, why when the family asked the officers several times to please close the car door so their dog would not get out the police ignored them? It just seems if at least one of the officers would of listened none of this would of happened. [Frown]

Comment

nitram,

quote:
                              Originally posted by nitram:
                              I am not anti police in any way. As a matter of fact I have great respect for the police, and I would never want to do their job. Too scary.

I just watched an interview of the family that had their dog killed. I just have one question, why when the family asked the officers several times to please close the car door so their dog would not get out the police ignored them? It just seems if at least one of the officers would of listened none of this would of happened. :
                              (

While I am concerned about the proedures used in this incident, LE never lets a potential suspect on a felony stop direct them to do anything. LE is in charge, not the party that was stopped. What if this had been a couple of escaped convicts, and one was lying on the floor of the vehicle just waiting for an officer to casually walk to the door to shut it. I don't know if the officers had time to clear the vehicle prior to the dog shooting or not. I would think that since they had all three occupants out of the vehicle, it should have been cleared.
                              Retired

Comment

err, Just because I'm a pig doesn't mean I'm a cop...

No, I have not sampled EVERY TV newscast, radio newscast, newspaper, and magazine in the US. Just because the media reports some non-biased news some or even most of the time doesn't justify slandering of police that is all too common.

I have no problem with news that is presented in a non-biased manner, what I object to are emotionally charged reports about how evil the police are.

In this case it is difficult to get a balanced story since it is not balanced, police officers are the authority, even though the stop was a mistake they still had every right AND RESPONSIBILITY to make that stop on the information they had.

Tell me though, I'm really curious, Why do so many reporters have it in for cops, What did they get too many speeding tickets?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4624 users online. 317 members and 4307 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X