Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    Originally posted by spaz:
    as for "smiling" after an event, any adrenaline junky knows that doesn't mean squat.
    i have been in car accidents and almost-car accidents, often i joked about it (which the paramedics thought i hit my head and wasn't totally aware....try explaining that one)

Thank you sir. I have been wondering about that too. Also it was a close call, the dog was very close and at the speed it was going he did not have much time left when he fired.
    I'm sure they all felt a little adreniline there.
    All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Oink:
      That media bb is interesting. no shortage of uneducated opinions there, I doubt any of those ppl are the slightest bit interested in hearing the other side of the story.

Obviously I was, because I posted over here asking about it. I'm a regular at that board.

Meanwhile, you guys are talking it up over here, but as of right now, just before 6pm, nobody with an understanding of law enforcement procedure has taken the initiative to set forth his or her opinions over there. Why is that?

Do not assume that you know our motivations. While we are most certainly a pain in your arses, it's not normally for the reasons you believe. I'm quite sure some of them would like to hear your side of things.

Comment

Our side of things is in that video, I can't believe anybody could see how that dog attacked and not understand the officer shooting it!
        The situation is upsetting, But ppl over there are really being unfair to the cops, cops have the right to defend themselves just like anybody else.
        All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

quote:
          Meanwhile, you guys are talking it up over here, but as of right now, just before 6pm, nobody with an understanding of law enforcement procedure has taken the initiative to set forth his or her opinions over there. Why is that?

I used to go a BB run by the local paper. I stopped trying to explain to people why we do certain things when they refuse to listen. No matter what I said went in one ear and out the other and they weren't open to any other opinion except their own and the ones in agreement with them. Now, in fairness I can't make an honest assessment of the folks over in that one because I haven't gone to it, but based on the quotes posted over here from there, we may as well be speaking to the wall.

I don't go to media run BB's. The people on there (at least the ones around here) are rabidly anti-cop. I don't need to prove myself to anyone of them.

Comment

I have to listen to FLLawdog, I see no reason to put myself through the trouble rather than just listening to him. I HAVE heard both sides of the story, but the side that knows nothing of police procedures but is intent on running down the po po could not possibly be interested in anything the police have to say. I have been through the aggrevation of talking to walls for hours on end, not on BBs but in real life, It's my understanding that if someone hates the police they're not going to listen to reason. In fact they're more likely to get mad about it.
            If any of them are interested in hearing the truth they are welcome to come over here and read both threads on this topic.
            Why is it that everybody is so quick to attack the police yet not the person who made the call?

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by FLLawdog:
              I don't go to media run BB's. The people on there (at least the ones around here) are rabidly anti-cop. I don't need to prove myself to anyone of them.

Not all of them are anti-cop. But by the same token, if I were to go by what I read on this website, I could easily come to the conclusion that everyone here is anti-media.

It wouldn't be fair to stereotype you folks that way, would it?

Comment

Anti-media???
                I am anti-media! All they're interested in is sensationalizing everything and stirring up trouble. They don't care about anybody. And the sheeple get all worked up! the media didn't even bother to find out why the officers did what they did. They didn't bother to explain the whole story - That the stop was by the book, no crime was commited by the officers, and that the officer shot the dog in fear of his safety.
                The media is interested in money, not truth - The 'truth' is how they decide to distort reality. [Eek!]

Comment

Oink,

QUOTE]Originally posted by Oink:
                  I have to listen to FLLawdog, I see no reason to put myself through the trouble rather than just listening to him. I HAVE heard both sides of the story, but the side that knows nothing of police procedures but is intent on running down the po po could not possibly be interested in anything the police have to say. I have been through the aggrevation of talking to walls for hours on end, not on BBs but in real life, It's my understanding that if someone hates the police they're not going to listen to reason. In fact they're more likely to get mad about it.
                  If any of them are interested in hearing the truth they are welcome to come over here and read both threads on this topic.
                  Why is it that everybody is so quick to attack the police yet not the person who made the call?
                  [/QUOTE]

There have been many times I have been critical of actions by law enforcement. Does that make me anti-law enforcement?
                  Retired

Comment

err...no?

Comment

Laws do need to be enforced. What the police need is a method to determine if someone is actually breaking a law before they "interact" with them. Perhaps someone who understands what laws actually are could ride around with them and offer assictance when needed.

Comment

I was in the exact same situation as this poor guy. The one I shot was a collie. There was no video, but finally, they found about an 11 year old kid that was standing in his driveway about 3 houses down and he backed my story 100%. In the mean time, I was lighting up the front page of the newspaper every day with captions like "Dog Killer, Loose Cannon" etc. After they found the kid, the story just disappeared, no retraction, no apology, nothing.

Mine was a little easier to justify as I took the dog out of mid air as he was leaping at me. I have no idea if his tail was wagging or not because all I saw were the teeth.

I have also been hospitalized by a dog attacking me. I didn't see that one coming so she got the first blow in. No growling, no barking. Just came through an opening in a fence and nailed me.

Unless you've been there or have some other reason to know what the he!! your talking about, I sure wish people would keep their mouths shut.

Comment

I didn't say all them are, Shaky, hence me saying "at least the ones around here". Am I anti media? No, but I've learned to put my BS detector on when I watch the 6:00 news or pick up a paper.

Incidents like this one help fuel my distrust for the media as much as it does for others to distrust LEO's. If more focus was placed on educating the public on why this might have happened from beginning to end, as we have tried to do over two threads, then my opinion of the media would change. Instead, the papers are trying and convicting them on the heels of the public outcry that they help to feed.

Comment

quote:
                            Laws do need to be enforced. What the police need is a method to determine if someone is actually breaking a law before they "interact" with them. Perhaps someone who understands what laws actually are could ride around with them and offer assictance when needed.

Yeah, that's a good idea, Mike . Or, better yet, maybe we should have honest criminals. You know, the kind that will tell you everything when or even before you ask. That way, it would help bring about a higher amount of trust with the good guys.

It's called reasonable doubt and probable cause. If I'm dispatched to a robbery, why should I assume it's not? If the suspect vehicle is described as white, why wouldn't I pull over a white car and check the occupants? It they aren't the ones responsible then fine. All that has to be done is show us a little cooperation and let us sort it out. If you're too impatient and start trying to dictate to us and make demands and conditions, things could get heated. The occupants might control the tempo, but we still control the situation.

Comment

I would seriously question the disptacher in the incident. It sounds as though they had a major miscommunication and to have a BOLO out after hearing that. I think an officer should have talked to the RP before sending out a BOLO. No one had reported a robbery. and those genrally go out pretty fast. But to send a BOLO on a suspicious act like that was really bad. I don't blame the officers in this one.... but I would definately say that the dispatcher was probably not getting the right information and it was a MAJOR error on their part.

Now, having said that, the agency will lose that one in court. "Wrongful death" (if they have that for animals) or "mental anguish" I'd sue the fricken COUNTY! Bet any money they settle this one out of court. Big Bucks too! Hell, I'd even sue the RP!
                              Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Peacenik posted 01-09-2003 04:47 PM

quote:

Originally posted by ASOinFL:
                                On the bright side.........this is a whole new thread on which we
                                can beat the same dead old horse.

Er, don't you mean "dog"?

-------------------------------------------------------

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh................You didn't. No donut for you Sir.
                                [email protected]
                                ---------------------------

It's better to die happy..........than just die

May Tyr watch over and guide my hand each day.........to do the right thing

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4620 users online. 320 members and 4300 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X