X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:
    Originally posted by Mike Tx:
    quote:
    This is not a bad guy, anybody in that situation would either of fired or been attacked.
    You know that for a fact do you?

quote:
    What I want to know is: How could this incident have been prevented? Just what else could this family have done (other than request the doors be closed to keep the dogs inside) such that this killing of their pet did not occur? What had they done wrong that they should have their dog shot?
    I have asked almost exactly the same questions and been attacked on this forum by police for that. It seems that those questions are/were not allowed. Perhaps now that things are calming down it will be different.

IMO You'll never get a satisfactory answer though, just an "officer safety" response. While I have no problem with cops going home intact to their families, I would like to get the same treatment,nationwide. Anyway you cut it, drawing a lethal weapon on a law abiding citizen is a felony. Defending it is pathetic. If you don't think so, then YOU try drawing your weapon on an innocent LEO and see what happens to you.

Oh God, please tell me this guy isn't one of those Republic of Texas whackos.

Comment

• I haven't read all 4 pages of this topic but let me toss something out for you to think about.

You stop a car one very very dark night. The only light is your flood. The driver gets out. You tell him over and over again to get back into his car. Suddenly he reaches behind him. You draw your weapon, slack out of the trigger....Do you shoot or not? You HAVE NO IDEA..WHY? Because you don't know all of the variables.

From what I personally saw on the video which wasn't much because the dog ran out of the view of the camera. I believe the officer did what HE thought was necessary. Ok, the driver asked him to close the door. Ladies and Gentlemen, when a felony traffic stop is conducted, drivers, passangers and such don't make any requests. They simply do what they are told. Why? Because they put themselves in the situation. Granted, these people were perfectally innocent. It was a miscommunication between dispatchers and patrol officers. I feel for their loss, but they also have to understand, many many officers have been bitten and severely injured by dogs. Especially Pit Bulls. If one comes toward me. At this particular moment, I feel I would have done what the officer did.

As to the media. That's hard to comment on. I have delt with reporters that were fair and accurate, then I have just recently delt with those that edit things you say out to make it sound like you are saying something totally different.

BTW: The guy from before is deaf and he was reaching for a card in his back pocket telling you he is deaf. I know some of you guys have seen this before.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• quote:
        Originally posted by TC:

LMFAO! I think he's just a regular whacko. LOL
        All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

• quote:
          No I'm not, But what of it?

Comment

• Viva Tejas!  -
            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
            -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• quote:
              Originally posted by shooter1201:
              Viva Tejas!  -

Shooter, I have no idea what you're talking about.
              The best I could get on a translator was "Alive Tiles" [Eek!]
              I give up, and am content to go the rest of my life never having known what you just said.
              All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

• He said blame Canada.

Comment

• Oink no habla Tejano [Wink]
                  Bill R

Comment

• Long live Texas. Or something like that....

Comment

• Texas is alive now?

Comment

• quote:
                        Originally posted by spaz:
                        ASOinFL, i understand....i wasn't there.

from the video alone, the dog's tail was wagging...

not to beat horses or shoot dogs but the dog didn't make a direct path to the dog but then again.

oh well, better a dead dog then a out of commision cop.

Anyone watch a police dog attack? What does the tail do? It either stands straight out or it wags. Having never been in such a situation (yet) I won't say they were right or wrong and maybe it was a bit excessive when you look at the report that says they went high-risk based on someone calling saying they think they may have robbed someone/some place because money was falling off the car (turned out it was the driver's wallet). In short, I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze a dogs intentions and I'm not Eliza Thornberry so I'm certainly not able to tell that the dog is saying hello like the dog owner claimed. Bottom line, they were in a no-win situation.

[ 01-14-2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Padres19 ]
                        "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

• quote:
                          Originally posted by Padres19:
                          I won't say they were right or wrong and maybe it was a bit excessive when you look at the report that says they went high-risk based on someone calling saying they think they may have robbed someone/some place because money was falling off the car (turned out it was the driver's wallet).

Very true, but let's not forget that the officer that shot the dog was not from the agency that initiated the stop. All he knew, from his dispatch, was that TSP was initiating a felony traffic stop and they were requesting backup. Given that, everything he/they did was by the book.

Comment

• Geez, the last time I was here (Aug 2000)
                            I had some of you guys admit that some of the media is not BIASED and not all of us are out to get you. We had come to agreements on some issues. Now I see many of you guys hate us again.

I can't help but wonder how many of you stereotype people in general, suspects witnesses, judges , blacks, whites, Hispanics etc. Cause the way some of you group all of us under one evil category is down right dangerous. To think that I stand up and defend the police in general against my own peers on media message boards.

I object to a comment like "everyone that wasn't there should shut up" We are supposed to live in a free and open society, we are supposed to get to the bottom of issues, I have seen mostly fair coverage of this issue, don't blame us for letting our (your) public speak via the airwaves.

Understand, that it's not just cops under the camera lens. It's were ever something goes wrong, its our job to report it and get the facts, whether its the cops involved or some CEO involved or a airline pilot involved or a rock star involved. It don't matter, as long as we live in a free society, we will be there to cover it.

I'm not saying the cop who shot the dog personally did something wrong, but I do know that something in the system went horribly wrong and perhaps in the future it may be prevented. Its our job to report it, it's our job to gather investigation from you guys, third party guys and even do our own investigation.

You guys would just love to shovel everything under the rug. I'm sure the more experienced officers don't all feel that way, I'm sure some of you understand in needing further investigation, after all isn't that what you all do???

Same thing we the airmen that dropped the friendly bombs on the Canadians. Maybe it's not the pilot's fault but surly something in the system went horrible wrong, should be investigated and reported. Lastly the system should be changed so it never happens again. And if didn't happen because of a flawed system, if it happened due to total human stupidity error then someone must pay the price. Either the system or a person, something caused the error and perhaps in can be prevented in the future.

Finally to OINK
                            Fellow Canadian, tell me is Toronto going to go encrypted digital in the near future??? It's causing major problems in Vancouver and our citizens are paying the ultimate price because we the media have a hard time warning our public about certain criminal patterns. Thanks to the VCP dictating information. Don't worry though, we still have some sources and we still catch wrong doing as in our premier getting busted for drunk driving in Maui the other day. More goodies against officials to come in the near future, digital radios or not....

Geez my member number is lower then most of you cops on this board

Thanks for keepin' our streets safer.

[ 01-15-2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Ivan ]
                            <a href="http://www.ics-multimedia.com/sonicboom.htm" target="_blank">"Time is running out - Let's Roll"</a>

Comment

• Oh Gawd how I don't want to read through 4 pages of comments. But, I will a bit later and then comment. I remember when I first heard about this and hubby hadn't. He comes home from work and I said, "hey did you hear about the trooper that shot the dog"? He said, "Yes. Oh well". He's a man of very few words.
                              "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

• Now I see many of you guys hate us again.

We didn't stop disliking the media. We let you think that so that you'd leave it alone. It worked for 4 months, didn't it?

"I can't help but wonder how many of you stereotype people in general, suspects witnesses, judges , blacks, whites, Hispanics etc."

Typical media response. Instead of simply taking issue with being stereotyped, you have to go with the implication that we do it to everyone, then you list several "hot button" groups.

"It's were ever something goes wrong, its our job to report it and get the facts, whether its the cops involved or some CEO involved or a airline pilot involved or a rock star involved."

That's all I've ever asked. Report the FACTS. Not your opinions, implications or biases. Just the FACTS.

"You guys would just love to shovel everything under the rug."

And now who is stereotyping Ivan? "You guys"???

If that were the case, this thread wouldn't even exist, now would it?

Geez my member number is lower then most of you cops on this board

And your point is what?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3981 users online. 277 members and 3704 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X