Clear All

Originally posted by Miller11x View Post
    I only feel comfortable carrying this:

https://youtu.be/hasipuR7-as?t=46s
    This is my duty carry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ufH4eZ7sF_I

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler56
      My department has already made the switch. All new personnel are issued a Glock 17, and most current employees carry the 17 while some still have the Sig.
      I don't understand why anyone who carries a gun on their hip is still buying the Glock 17 when the Glock 34 is available. Same gun, same capacity, longer barrel for much better accuracy. There is pretty much no downside other than concealability.. which isn't what you'd use a 17 for anyway. The weight difference is .8 ounces.

Comment

Many, many years ago I worked a murder trial where the victim was the target of a professional hit. I had just read an article in a gun mag that denigrated the .32 cal round. Of course the weapon used was an old French .32 semi-auto. The ADA brought in an ex-ray of the victim's chest. The bullet hit a rib and left a trail of lead throughout the chest cavity. It looked like a chef carved up his insides.

Comment

I would have to disagree with the sentiment that caliber makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. While many officers here have no doubt seen some nasty wounds from .22 LRs, .32 ACPs, and .380s, research by Dr. Martin Fackler and Dr. Gary Roberts shows that those smaller rounds are in fact noticeably less effective than the major rounds used by LE today. If caliber made absolutely no difference whatsoever, I would think that .22 LR would be the best one to carry; you could probably fit a good 40-50 rounds into a pistol the size of a Glock 19.

So the issue is not calibers in general, it's simply that between the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 Sig, and .45 GAP, there's no clear winner when it comes to "stopping power". As there is no clear winner, the FBI had decided that the best overall choice is the round that is the cheapest, has the lowest recoil, and is carried in the highest capacity. That just happens to be the 9mm.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by Miller11x View Post
            I only feel comfortable carrying this:

https://youtu.be/hasipuR7-as?t=46s
            Man.....am I under-gunned...!!

Comment

Ah this debate...

I carry a 17. Love my 17. Last qual test I did with it I had a 98%. I know about ballistic tests, I've read reviews, etc. Shot placement is everything, not the caliber. Yet there is still a new guy where I'm at, who INSISTS my 9 is not "good enough" and that I HAVE to upgrade to a G22. ABSOLUTELY insists that the tests are so much better, much better damage, better penetration, etc. I stare blankly. Mind you, he got an 86% on his qual test... SMH.

I've fired a good slew of weapons. I haven't fired the G21 yet. I own a USP 45, and it fires great. I don't see the reason for argument though. If you are comfortable with your weapon and TRAIN with it and can actually use it, what does "upgrading" matter for...?

Comment

As one once said : " 9mm vs .45, well if you get one in your head, you won't notice the difference..."
                I guess it's all about round placement, not so much caliber.

Comment

As the 9mm has gotten better over the years so has most everything else. I have seen to many people that can shoot the 9mm better, mostly because of less recoil.
                  I wont argue witch is better for that reason.
                  My duty weapon is a .45 commander and my back up is a 9mm.
                  Last time I qualified I shot 98 with the 45 and 86 with the 9mm witch is less than half the size of the 45.

Comment

I just use a big rock...
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You would.......

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        I just use a big rock...

I like anything that is solid, heavy or sharp..

Comment

No expert here. Shot placement is important. But so is stopping power. Lets face it. Your average shooter can put rounds in the coke bottle with whatever caliber they have. But I don't want a target to keep coming when my rounds strike the target but fail to strike something vital.

Comment

No such thing as stopping power in a non-big bore magnum handgun.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                              I don't understand why anyone who carries a gun on their hip is still buying the Glock 17 when the Glock 34 is available. Same gun, same capacity, longer barrel for much better accuracy. There is pretty much no downside other than concealability.. which isn't what you'd use a 17 for anyway. The weight difference is .8 ounces.

Neither do I BUT when faced with the mindset of "a wheel gun and a whistle was good enough in my day" you take what you can get....
                              semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by tbone11_11 View Post
                                I'm thinking my next glock to purchase is going to be a 9mm, the hollow point rounds look just as effecive as any other .45 that I have seen.
                                The edge still goes to the .45 due to the fact it makes a bigger hole, but that edge has been greatly reduced by modern quality duty ammo. That slight edge however is offset by the increase capacity and reduced recoil of the 9mm. That's the thinking on why so many PD and other orgs are going back to the 9mm.

Plus for your reason as well, shot placement! I used to buy into that "stopping power" humbug but now that I read more on weapons I can see there is very little difference when it comes to round size.
                                In standard duty handgun rnds using modern JHP, that's true. It's also important to note, some calibers are better at intermediate barriers which is why state troopers (who are most likely to need to shoot through wind shields etc) may choose a heavier bullet than 9mm.

What I notice that is the most important is being able to lay 2-3 shots consecutively on target.
                                It should be noted that all handgun rnds in standard duty loads are poor man stoppers.
                                - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6756 users online. 361 members and 6395 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X