300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI brings back the 9mm

I know every person has their own feelings for caliber size, me myself I'm a .45 kinds guy. But for how much I've been reading on the 9mm, I may start messing around with those. The rounds look just as effective on impact as a 45. I know the FBI is going to start using it again, and some departments in the country are going back to it as well. What's everyone's take on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been carrying a 9MM for the past several years. I've seen the real world effects from a 9MM. I have no qualms what so ever about rocking it. Shot placement!!

Comment

With the modern advancements in ballistics you really can't go wrong with which pistol caliber you choose. As long as you're buying good quality ammo for that chosen caliber. It comes down to personal preference and the only thing that matters is shot placement.

Until they figure out a way to make concealable Desert Eagles that is

Comment

I'm thinking my next glock to purchase is going to be a 9mm, the hollow point rounds look just as effecive as any other .45 that I have seen. Plus for your reason as well, shot placement! I used to buy into that "stopping power" humbug but now that I read more on weapons I can see there is very little difference when it comes to round size. What I notice that is the most important is being able to lay 2-3 shots consecutively on target.

Comment

Feelings about calibers are useless. The hard, scientific data backed up by real-world experience is that 9mm is as good as any other semiauto defensive handgun round. As stated above, stopping power in such calibers is a myth.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

The deciding factor is always the gun/round that allows you to put effective lead on target.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

It's WHERE you put it. Not how big it is...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                It's WHERE you put it. Not how big it is...
                First, I totally agree

Second, that's what she said
                "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  It's How you use it. Not how big it is...
                  Fixed it for ya..

Comment

Only hits count.

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve856;3657670]I am sorry, but I do not understand.

Of course shot placement matters. Is that not given? If a person is comparing 9 mm vs .45 (or any other product) would it not make sense that the effectiveness of each product would be compared under the same conditions? Or are we assuming that shot placement is not really an independent variable, but is actually a dependent variable?
                      [/QUOTE

I'm sorry...I don't understand what you're saying Steve. What "same conditions" are you referring to, and when does shot placement become an "independent variable?"

I agree with Lady Blue & CCCSD.

The primary factor when determining the effectiveness of a caliber is in the placement of the round, not if it's a .45, .40, 9mm or even a .22 for that matter. Comparing the rounds under any conditions is a moot point when you consider the fact that ANY well placed round will do the job it's intended to do. (The military .223 round for example.)
                      A 9mm can also be extremely effective depending on the configuration of the cartridge. The variables come into play when one compares the type of bullet, powder charge and what kind of damage it actually does on impact. (H&K MP-5.)
                      Any caliber will be ineffective if the shot misses the intended target!

Ski

Comment

My local PD moved it's standard issue handguns to .40 from 9mm almost a decade ago back when they switched from Sig to Glock because "everyone else in the region was doing it" (post-9/11 DHS money was paying for almost all of the LE firearms and equipment upgrades in this region at that time) and I believe that most other agencies in the region are now using .40 or .357, with some others using .45 ACP. The only ones I know who still use 9mm are the smaller agencies with budget restrictions like college campus police.
                        Last edited by Waffles1981; 05-20-2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Right now, 9mm handguns just make the most sense for agencies. The ballistics are nearly equal to other calibers, they are cheaper, and the handgun itself is easier to control when compared to .40 and .45 rounds.

Get cheaper rounds, get them on target easier and faster, and they have the same penetration as the larger rounds? Easy choice.

Comment

The biggest argument for the 45 acp is "it makes a bigger hole". The 45 acp round is generally heavier and uses more load to project it, so it carries more muzzle velocity and muzzle energy. Research has shown that a persons skin has the same resistance as roughly 4 inches of muscle. So when the round impacts - it loses a lot of energy and velocity very quickly. There is some question as to how much energy is lost in a 9mm vs a 45 acp - because the 45 is going to mushroom larger, therefore carry more surface area, therefore slow more quickly. And not to sound completely elementary - but the object is not to hit a person. The object is to hit the vital bits and pieces a few inches inside the person.

Now throw in fragmentation of the round and ricochet when it hits bone. Just before typing this, I watched a video of a doctor presenting findings and used an example of a man shot square in the chest - should have been dead. But the guy was alive and well. The frontal xray shows a round directly where his heart is. The lateral shows the round stopped just about an inch in to his chest. It was drastically slowed by skin tension and the first layers of muscle, so that when it impacted bone - it lacked velocity to go any further. ER docs can tell you of GSW's where the entry wound and the exit wound don't really make a straight line. So argument is being made that, all things considered, a smaller mushrooming round is just as effective in short range as a larger one. Most gun fights don't happen yards away from each other - they happen feet away from each other.

So the 45 v. 9 battle will continue, there are people on either side that just know their favorite is the best ever. I have both, and don't really see a big difference other than weight on my belt. But then, by the grace of God, I have never - and hope to never - have to find out for sure. But I do carry a 9 for 1 reason --- 17+1 on deck, 2x17 on belt. That's 1 full box plus 2 more - at my immediate disposal. I like the idea of having a LOT of lead to throw should I need too, since with adrenaline comes loss of fine motor skills.

Comment

I was issued a Glock 9mm in 1990, about 2000 we went to the Glock 40cal and in or around 2005 we were issued the Glock 45 GAP. All worked well but I did like the extra ammo on board with the 9mm. It wouldn't surprise me if this is just a move by Glock to sell more guns and in 5 years the agencies will look at the statistics and go back to 40cal. Who knows anymore what goes on?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6320 users online. 325 members and 5995 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X