300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The traffic control rant

In the spirit of the job rant thread I thought this deserved its own thread. There is nothing like directing traffic to prove to a cop just how stupid most people are. I was directing traffic today at a fatal traffic accident. We completely shut the street down with police cars, barricades, and cones. Heres some of the profoundly idiotic comments and actions of the public.

1) "Sir, I can go through here?" No you stupid b!tch. There is a reason there are cop cars and and barricades up No maam, we need to keep the road clear for the time being. "Are you sure I can't go through." I pull out my gun and put her out of her idiotic misery I'm sure maam, you can't go through. Because someone died this is a crime scene and we have to keep everyone out of it.

Almost every other car asks you something like the above comments.

2) "Was anyone hurt?" WTF do you think there are six cop cars, news media, and ambulances here for? Do you think they would be here if it was an ordinary accident? Yeah they always come out for a minor little fender bender Yes its pretty bad.

3) This happens after they drive over the cones or around the barricades. "Oh I didn't realize I couldn't go through" You have got to be one of the stupidest people in the world Thats why the whole road is blocked off and barricades are up.

In #3 I actually get to almost say what I'm thinking.

4) This happens after you've pointed them a certain direction, they point the other way (the blocked off way), you point them the detoured way again, and they still persist on getting ****ed off and coming up and asking you "Can't I go through." No you stupid SOB. I'm a cop in a uniform and I have directed you a different way. See those other cops down there and those mangled cars. Thats why you can't go that way. I f**cking sory that your inconvienced and will have to go an extra block but f**king deal with it. That dead person should have been more considerate than to have gotten himself killed and caused you to lose a few minutes of your day having drive a little further No one can go through until we clear up the accident scene. If you drive through you will disturb the evidence. Now this is the quickest way to get where your going.

For a fairly routine activity there is nothing that ****es me off more than directing traffic because stupid people just seem to come out of the woodwork while your doing it. Just once I would love to be able to tell people what I really want to tell them.

[ 04-05-2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Frank Booth ]

Comment

Zamboni, those people you mention are not stupid. They simply don't care about you, or the dead people. They only care about getting where they are going, and to hell with anything in their way.

Comment

Man, I feel your pain. That was the most frustrating part of the job, traffic control.

I finally decided to start playing back, so I answered, "officer, what happened?" with a very confused look and I would reply "where?" Of course they would reply, "over there", so I would answer "I don't have any idea, the dispatcher just sent me over here and said not to let anyone through, you should go home and turn on the news"

"Can I get through here" and I would look all around then look back at the driver and reply, "what do YOU think?"

Made me feel a little better
        "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

For #3 I always wanted to use stop sticks inside the perimeter but they won't let me.

One time this lady driving a Nissan Pathfinder actually try to force her way through the barricades. I approach the vehicle to speak to her. Her husband who's on the passenger side starts screaming at me, "She's pregnant (she was), we have to go through here!" and "you are endangering the unborn child, blah, blah, blah". After he was done is said:
          "If she's in that bad of shape due to her pregnancy... why is she driving the car?"
          "It appears that we have a reckless driving charge here. She's endangering you, the unborn child, and the general public and on top of that, YOU were aware of this and allowed her to drive!"
          They turned around and went the other way.

Like Mike said, People just don't give a damn.. they're being inconvenienced and they don't like it.
          " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

[ 04-05-2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Frank Booth ]

Comment

You mean to tell me you are only suppose to think those things.... ooops

Comment

Comment

I must have jinxed myself. I posted this topic on my break. Later in the afternoon I'm directing traffic at an injury accident. Some dumb idiot drove over my cones, in between the mangled cars, and drug one of my cones about fifty yards down the street. Then some ahole has the nerve to come up and say you should get more cops out here to direct traffic. I told him I would like that too but right now all of them are doing one of two things: 1) at the funeral for the K-9 cop that got killed around here two weeks ago or 2) looking for the suspect who just kidnapped and raped a woman and then dumped her off the side of a road. I love how people seem to think we can just magically produce more cops on demand.

Comment

That's cool. A citizen gives you his opinion, and you say he's an ahole. Nothing like a LEO with great relations with the public. No wonder so many people hate cops.

Comment

LOL well mike all i can say is untill you have to direct traffic and keep someone from going a certain direction then you will never understand.

I personally think that all the sheeple lose about 50 points of IQ as soon as they get behind the wheel of a car. IF the get to the airport without incident then they lose another 50 points of IQ Now this would put most people into the blathering idiots catagory and if you have ever been to a airport you will know that i am not far off on that one.

I think Mike is right about one thing people just do not care. Most people that I run into have that same ME ME ME attitude. Everything revolves around them and the rest of us be damned if we get in their way or try to change the way they are thinking or going because we all know it is them that really matters and nothing bad will ever happen to them.

Klar
                      Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Klar, I know pwople can be morons, but I think you should be able to talk to the police in public without being labeled something. People have enough dislike and mistrust of police already, and that is not a good thing.

Comment

People are the same the world over....had most of these things happen to me too. LOL.
                          Mike TX, until you have had to dive over a retaining wall to keep from being run over by the mental midget talking on the cell phone oblivious to hundreds of flashing lights and flares...you won't get the point that some are trying to make. Sad fact of life....some people are STUPID. I had to close a main freeway on ramp at 0230 today(prime DWI time) I think the space station could see my flares I used so many. I don't take chances, I don't sit in my car and I always have an escape and evasion plan. A close call with a skidding jack knifed 18 wheeler taught me real fast. Be careful out there!

Comment

Comment

I'm not an officer but I work along side and in the roadways frequently. People are idiots! I wish I had a nickle for everyone of my cones that has been run over. We had one genius blow by a CHP officer who was doing a "round robin" rolling traffic break and darned near killed us.
                              Bill R

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5734 users online. 335 members and 5399 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X