Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County sheriff wants body cams

I thought this was a good story:

Calhoun County Sheriff’s deputies may soon be sporting a new piece of protective equipment – body cameras.

Sheriff Bill Davis told the Board of Supervisors Jan. 20 he was considering the purchase, particularly after talking with members of the Carroll County Sheriff’s Department, which recently purchased cameras for its officers. Carroll County spent about $200 per camera, Davis said.

“That’s cheap insurance, as far as I’m concerned,” Davis said. “It protects the public and it protects my officers.”
    Read more of this story in the Jan. 28 edition of The Graphic-Advocate.
    What is missing in the free preview that is in the paper version is the story where a woman motorist was stopped for going around baricades, signs and lights to drive on the new and not opened yet US-20.

She filed a complaint that the deputy who ticketed her was "rude" to her, so Sheriff Davis got out the disk (the deputy had a car cam on) and showed the woman the footage and asked her to show him where the deputy was "rude" to her.
    She couldn't do that, withdrew her complaint against the deputy and left, bet she didn't know she was on camera during the stop, LOL!

I really think the body cams will help reduce most of these frivolous BS revenge complaints, in this case it did. While the cams will take getting used to, there will be some failures and misinterpretations now and then, but I think overall they are a good idea and probably almost nothing is as good in court as being able to show actual video footage of exactly what happened.

We bought the $1000 body cameras over a year ago for our deputies...................everyone loves them.

Bill shouldn't scrimp on the cameras
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
      I thought this was a good story:

What is missing in the free preview that is in the paper version is the story where a woman motorist was stopped for going around baricades, signs and lights to drive on the new and not opened yet US-20.

She filed a complaint that the deputy who ticketed her was "rude" to her, so Sheriff Davis got out the disk (the deputy had a car cam on) and showed the woman the footage and asked her to show him where the deputy was "rude" to her.
      She couldn't do that, withdrew her complaint against the deputy and left, bet she didn't know she was on camera during the stop, LOL!

I really think the body cams will help reduce most of these frivolous BS revenge complaints, in this case it did. While the cams will take getting used to, there will be some failures and misinterpretations now and then, but I think overall they are a good idea and probably almost nothing is as good in court as being able to show actual video footage of exactly what happened.
      I've actually started telling people that they are on camera at the start of the stop. It's awesome to see how people will suddenly change their attitude when they realize it can come back and bite them.

"Good morning, I'm Officer Smith with the Smithville police department, just to let you know, you are being recorded on dash cam"
      "You only stopped me because I'm... oh, what? I mean, good morning officer"
      Originally posted by Ceridwen
      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I am fully in favor of body cameras. That being said there are some supervisors out there who will spend time looking over footage with the intent of finding reasons to discipline officers. that is not proper usage of the cameras and should not be tolerated.
        In God We Trust
        Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Blue View Post
          I am fully in favor of body cameras. That being said there are some supervisors out there who will spend time looking over footage with the intent of finding reasons to discipline officers. that is not proper usage of the cameras and should not be tolerated.
          They've already started doing that to some PDs around my area. Thankfully none of the brass have started doing it at my PD.

Comment

I wear a camera at work and love it. Its cool when you let them run their mouth and BAM sucker your on camera
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

We don't have cameras and doubt we ever will. I am considering just subcontracting a google car to follow me everywhere.

Comment

That's too bad. Body Camera footage could be used in a positive way as a valuable training aid. It all depends on the attitude of the Supervisors.
                Ski
                Last edited by codemanski; 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I agree there, it's a given it will be abused like everything else has been, but I don't think there will be a whole lot of that going on. There will just be too much footage and time involved for someone to scan through all of the camera footage from every officer, every day in hopes of finding some tidbit like that.

If there's a complaint it will be done, but I don't see it routinely happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    We bought the $1000 body cameras over a year ago for our deputies...................everyone loves them.

Bill shouldn't scrimp on the cameras
                    The story mentions Carroll County buying cams for $200, quality of build and resolution issues aside, what differences might there be between the two models? One has sound or remote control the other doesn't? I'm trying to think of what features or functions one could have the other doesn't that would make the cost differential that wide, that's quite a difference in price!
                    What about the battery life in this $1000 unit? I read recently that some cams were only getting about two hours of time per charge! What a pain that would be on a long shift having to mess with a battery that only has a two hour life per charge!

Comment

My two biggest concerns are the cost of exponentially increasing data storage, even if you do not record the entire shift or purge the video after a set time period unless it is part of an investigation, and how to handle requests for body cam video records. Both of those things could eat up a lot of time and department FTE, and there is not a whole lot of established law or policy regarding public records requests for body cam video.
                      Originally posted by Michigan
                      Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
                        The story mentions Carroll County buying cams for $200, quality of build and resolution issues aside, what differences might there be between the two models? One has sound or remote control the other doesn't? I'm trying to think of what features or functions one could have the other doesn't that would make the cost differential that wide, that's quite a difference in price!
                        What about the battery life in this $1000 unit? I read recently that some cams were only getting about two hours of time per charge! What a pain that would be on a long shift having to mess with a battery that only has a two hour life per charge!
                        It amounts to the difference between a Chevy and a Cadillac. Different options and different quality
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

our deputies only record when they are on a call or dealing with a subject.

Originally posted by SamRudolph View Post
                          My two biggest concerns are the cost of exponentially increasing data storage, even if you do not record the entire shift or purge the video after a set time period unless it is part of an investigation, and how to handle requests for body cam video records. Both of those things could eat up a lot of time and department FTE, and there is not a whole lot of established law or policy regarding public records requests for body cam video.

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                            We don't have cameras and doubt we ever will. I am considering just subcontracting a google car to follow me everywhere.
                            Maybe you can be a regular on COPS.

Comment

This is really my only reason for opposing the cameras at this point; if it weren't for this unfortunate reality, I'd be an ardent supporter. Most of my supervisors have been awesome, but I think anyone with more than a year or two on has had one of *those* supervisors.

Also, these cameras cost *way* more than $200 when you take into account the cost of storing the footage.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5635 users online. 319 members and 5316 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X