X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moron tackles legally armed Walmart patron in FL, arrested

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...te-for/2214432

Michael Foster, 43, of Lithia

Man shopping for coffee creamer at Walmart attacked by vigilante for carrying gun he was legally permitted to have

BRANDON — Clarence Daniels had just crossed the threshold of Walmart's front doors on Tuesday, in search of coffee creamer for his wife, when the gun in hip holster gave a well-intentioned vigilante the idea he was up to something more sinister.

From the Walmart parking lot at 11110 Causeway Boulevard, Michael Foster, 43, of Lithia had watched Daniels, 62, take from his car the handgun — for which he holds a concealed carry permit — and place it on his hip underneath his coat, Hillsborough sheriff's deputies reported.

As Daniels entered the store, a label for the coffee creamer in his pocket in case he forgot the brand, Foster tackled him to the ground and placed him in a choke hold, sheriff's spokesman Larry McKinnon said.

"He's got a gun!" deputies said Foster shouted.

"I have a permit!" Daniels yelled back multiple times, McKinnon said.

The men struggled and were separated until law enforcement arrived on scene just before noon. Foster was arrested and charged with battery.

"Unfortunately he tackled a guy that was a law-abiding citizen," McKinnon said. "We understand it's alarming for people to see other people with guns, but Florida has a large population of concealed weapons permit holders."

The Sheriff's Office recommends that vigilante-inclined citizens refrain from taking matters into their own hands, especially when an incident is gun-related. Call 911 or alert security, McKinnon said, before taking any drastic measure.

"You better make sure there's a good reason," he added. "Otherwise you might be confronting a guy that is legally permitted to carry a gun."

Times researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report. Contact Katie Mettler at [email protected] or (727) 893-8913. Follow her @kemettler.

What a jacka**.

Comment

Roflmao....
      US Army Veteran
      The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

The stooge oughta be happy it was a CCWer and not a robber. If it was a crook, he would have learned that you don't bring a chokehold to a gunfight.

I bet they drove him to jail in the short bus.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Stupid move. But it sounds like twoo idiots meeting. If the CCW holder was seen putting his gun underneath his coat it wasn't exactly concealed. There's no reason for it. Here, open carry is legal so it wouldn't be a legal issue but I still see no sense in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
            Stupid move. But it sounds like twoo idiots meeting. If the CCW holder was seen putting his gun underneath his coat it wasn't exactly concealed. There's no reason for it. Here, open carry is legal so it wouldn't be a legal issue but I still see no sense in doing so.
            I don't see an issue here... I know a lot of people who don't carry "on them" while in their car, and put it on when they get out... sounds like a someone wanted to play hero and lost.
            Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by BikeCop501 View Post
              I don't see an issue here... I know a lot of people who don't carry "on them" while in their car, and put it on when they get out... sounds like a someone wanted to play hero and lost.
              If it's seen it isn't concealed. In some place printing can cause you a problem.

Comment

I've never carried, but I don't think I'd ever have my gun visible in public. Once I strap it on at home it doesn't get touched again until I returned. One never knows who might be watching...
                This Space For Rent

Comment

I'm the last person to assume racism but if you see a black guy walk into a store with a concealed handgun in FL and assume he's a criminal and not a legal gun owner, you're probably a tad bit racist.

Just a guess.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    The stooge oughta be happy it was a CCWer and not a robber. If it was a crook, he would have learned that you don't bring a chokehold to a gunfight.

I bet they drove him to jail in the short bus.
                    He's certainly lucky. If Daniels had been an off-duty cop (or simply a better grappler), Foster very well could have ended up eating rounds (or boot soles) as well.

Comment

I see a lawsuit coming. Are the ambulance chasers taking numbers and standing in line?

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                        If it's seen it isn't concealed. In some place printing can cause you a problem.
                        In Florida, printing is not an issue anymore.
                        Same as inadvertently showing your gun.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
                        [...] It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.[...]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4674 users online. 248 members and 4426 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X