Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Chief shot 4 times but perp not charged?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Chief shot 4 times but perp not charged?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/17/us/okl...ief/index.html

Hmmm....

No charges have been filed against a man who shot the police chief of a small town in Oklahoma four times, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation says.

Sentinel Police Chief Louis Ross was shot Thursday morning after he entered a house looking for the person who allegedly phoned in a bomb threat to a Head Start center, CNN affiliate KFOR reported.

Ross was shot by the man living in the house, KFOR said. The chief had just donned a protective vest, which is credited with saving his life, the OSBI said in a press release. His condition was not available Saturday night.

"The man who shot and wounded the Sentinel police chief will not be arrested at this time," the release said. "OSBI investigators have extensively interviewed the man. Facts surrounding the case lead agents to believe the man was unaware it was officers who made entry."

"We almost lost a good man," Sentinel Mayor Sam Dlugonski told KFOR. Sentinel, population 900, is about 100 miles from Oklahoma City.

The OSBI said somebody called 911 about 4 a.m. Thursday to report a bomb had been placed in the Head Start center.

While a bomb squad searched the building and didn't find any explosives, the chief and deputies went to the home where they thought the bomb threat originated, the OSBI said.

"They made entry, cleared the first bedroom, started to clear the second bedroom, he opened fire on police and shot our chief three times in the chest and once in the arm," Dlugonski told KFOR.

The resident, who was not hurt, surrendered to police after the shooting.

In a press release issued Friday, the OSBI said it had determined the bomb threat call did not originate from the man's house. Dlugonski said the caller used the resident's name, KFOR reported.

KFOR reported that officers entered the house without a search warrant.

One Sentinel resident said he understood why the shooting happened.

"This is country, this ain't Oklahoma City," Jimmy Rhoades told KFOR. "You're taught from a young age that if somebody comes into your house to shoot."

Ross was wearing a protective vest loaned to him by a Wa****a County deputy, the OSBI said.

"The vest saved Ross's life," the OSBI said.
    I cant recall ever where even in a case of mistaken Identity a cop was shot and the suspect not charged.Maybe thats just me.

Thoughts on this?

Thank God he was wearing his vest, and it sounds like he's out of danger. Imagine his first words were, "I'm to old for this schit!"
    Last edited by that's my hand; 01-18-2015, 09:31 AM. Reason: eye ya eye ya :)

Comment

The officers entered the home illegally without a warrant (correct?) - I wouldn't think that the entry would fall under exigent circumstances (but I could be wrong). Who knows if they knocked and/or announced (probably not if the shooter isn't being charged) so how is the homeowner to be certain that it's the cops in the house? Sounds like once he shot who he thought was a criminal that he gave up when he realized it was the cops.
      Originally posted by RSGSRT
      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

"Thoughts on this?"

Yes, how ever did this guy make Chief? To the OP and anyone else sworn here...Tell me what YOU would have done differently if you were in command. I wish the chief a speedy recovery.
        Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Originally posted by 1911user View Post

Yes, how ever did this guy make Chief?
          Do you realize how many < 10 person agencies there are out there that don't do nationwide hiring searches looking for FBINA graduates when they have a Chief opening. They take the next senior person on the force and make them Chief.

I went to the academy with a kid that was a Sgt on his PD, because he was the #2 in seniority on the PD .

Here in Iowa it is NOT unusual for a new officer on a small town PD to be HIRED as the CHIEF (and maybe the only full time officer)
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by NextofKin View Post
            http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/17/us/okl...ief/index.html

Hmmm....

I cant recall ever where even in a case of mistaken Identity a cop was shot and the suspect not charged.Maybe thats just me.

Thoughts on this?
            Something similar happened in the last couple of years or so. The homeowner shot an officer entering his home and was either not charged or found not guilty because the officer's entry wasn't legal. I will search for the incident later unless someone else can. I'm almost out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by NextofKin View Post
              Thoughts on this?
              Colorado's Castle Doctrine allows a resident to shoot anyone who enters their residence unlawfully, IF they reasonably believe any level of force will be used by the entrant on lawful occupants... and that includes law enforcement. It's a pretty low bar to clear.

On the face of it, in Colorado, this would be a good shoot.

The fact that the resident apparently had no idea it was LE entering his home makes it even a better shoot.

There is a way we are supposed to do things. On the face of it the Chief doesn't appear to have done them that way, and he paid a price.

Next time, do it right.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Yeah, I've got some problems with this one too. Proceeding comments? Not a bad thought in the bunch. Food for much thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  Do you realize how many < 10 person agencies there are out there that don't do nationwide hiring searches looking for FBINA graduates when they have a Chief opening. They take the next senior person on the force and make them Chief.

I went to the academy with a kid that was a Sgt on his PD, because he was the #2 in seniority on the PD .

Here in Iowa it is NOT unusual for a new officer on a small town PD to be HIRED as the CHIEF (and maybe the only full time officer)
                  I certainly do. Many upstate NY departments work the same way, as you say, it's not uncommon. My problem with the entry...and mind you we haven't ALL the facts, i believe a recruit out of the academy would have more sense to know better and TAKE PAUSE before making an entry like the one described. No excuse for someone with a little time on the job.
                  Last edited by 1911user; 01-18-2015, 04:46 PM.
                  Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Hmmm as a civilian I can only guess it depends on state law (and of course the circumstances of the particular case). I've heard of cases where the defense of "I didn't know it was LE" didn't hold water, while in other cases, that defense was valid.
                    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Was he in uniform, or some kind of distinctive markings? Did they knock and notice and announce as they cleared room by room?
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        Was he in uniform, or some kind of distinctive markings? Did they knock and notice and announce as they cleared room by room?
                        Even if he had on a raid vest with "POLICE" on it you can get those plenty of places. A meth dealer might reasonably be expected to believe that someone kicking in his door and yelling "POLICE!" was in fact the police.

Joe Homeowner, who has no reason for the cops to kick in his door, might reasonably be believed when he claims that DESPITE the announcements he didn't believe it really was the police.

Either way there don't appear to be exigent circumstances or a warrant, so the Chief entered unlawfully. In Colorado shooting him would be just fine, even if the homeowner knew for CERTAIN it was the police.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                          In Colorado shooting him would be just fine, even if the homeowner knew for CERTAIN it was the police.
                          Why is my head spinning like a top? Am I just now awakening to just how bizarre a world I live in has become?

Comment

Originally posted by ftttu View Post
                            Something similar happened in the last couple of years or so. The homeowner shot an officer entering his home and was either not charged or found not guilty because the officer's entry wasn't legal. I will search for the incident later unless someone else can. I'm almost out the door.
                            Here it is:

http://www.infowars.com/murder-charg...no-knock-raid/

Comment

Originally posted by that's my hand View Post
                              Why is my head spinning like a top? Am I just now awakening to just how bizarre a world I live in has become?
                              Nothing bizarre about it at all.

Absent exigent circumstances or probable cause a person has the right to be secure in the privacy of their home from criminals AND from agents of the state... from you and me.

I have no problem with it. There's a way for me to gain access to somebody's house lawfully, and if I can't do that I don't need to be there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6380 users online. 367 members and 6013 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X