Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theft alert: railroad tie crane (NJ and surrounding states)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Theft alert: railroad tie crane (NJ and surrounding states)

    I had to post this, not just hoping someone who reads it might spot the stolen machine, but because this case is one for the Annals of Some People Will Steal Anything. (That should be a real publication.)
    Tie crane_1.jpg

    Dunno yet how it was taken away from where it was supposed to be. They are self-propelled, but probably wouldn't get around too well anywhere other than on a track. It might have been possible to drag it into the back of a truck, maybe even using its own boom, but that would be pretty awkward in an enclosed truck. (And I think would tear the hell out of whatever was used for a ramp.)

    Side view:
    Tie crane_2.jpg

    More info here: <http://scraptheftalert.neframework.c...?AlertID=71538>

    More amazement at the industriousness of some thieves.
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

  • #2
    Could do some real damage with it. I hope it got reported to JTTF.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, I didn't think of that. It was most likely swiped for its scrap value, even though it's not "scrap," but I can imagine some whackball doing some nasty things to rail traffic with that.

      I know the chief has good contacts all around that area, so no doubt he's really put the word out.

      Cripes, it's getting so ya gotta put a GPS tracker on everything.
      --
      Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

      Comment


      • #4
        Even the nuts...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

        Comment


        • #5
          How the ***** would you transport that.............................
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

          Comment


          • #6
            Probably had a large truck/trailer combo with a crane lift it onto the trailer, or they knew exactly how to dismantle and move it. Bottomed line is the thieves knew how to do it quietly, meaning they are in the construction or oilfield biz.

            Or its an inside job for the insurance money.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              Even the nuts...
              That might work better.
              --
              Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                How the ***** would you transport that.............................
                On their home line, equipment like that goes under its own power, or maybe on a flatcar. Smaller railroads that are somewhere between doing tie replacement by hand and having their own specialty rigs will contract with a construction company that has those, and those companies may move them by truck.
                --
                Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's probably parked outside the BadaBing...
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                    Yeah, I didn't think of that. It was most likely swiped for its scrap value, even though it's not "scrap," but I can imagine some whackball doing some nasty things to rail traffic with that.

                    I know the chief has good contacts all around that area, so no doubt he's really put the word out.

                    Cripes, it's getting so ya gotta put a GPS tracker on everything.
                    This isn't something a two-bit thief does--I think it was more likely swiped for export to someplace that won't check that it's stolen.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                      Probably had a large truck/trailer combo with a crane lift it onto the trailer, or they knew exactly how to dismantle and move it. Bottomed line is the thieves knew how to do it quietly, meaning they are in the construction or oilfield biz.
                      Yeah, I was thinking they'd had to have cut it up, but in the area where it was, torches and/or saws might have drawn attention. So if it's going to get chopped, it probably got hauled off somewhere for that.

                      Or its an inside job for the insurance money.
                      Heh; I wouldn't bet it's insured, not like a regular vehicle anyway, but maybe some blanket policy.
                      A few years ago, when some butthead cut power cables out from under a couple of baggage cars on our line, getting about $72 worth of copper and rendering the cars unfit for use in a passenger train, it would have cost about $40K apiece to have them rewired. They ended up as storage sheds for a former freight customer.
                      --
                      Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                        On their home line, equipment like that goes under its own power, or maybe on a flatcar. Smaller railroads that are somewhere between doing tie replacement by hand and having their own specialty rigs will contract with a construction company that has those, and those companies may move them by truck.
                        Oh I understand completely how the RR or the contractor company would transport them.

                        I was thinking of how a thief would do so
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ants. Lots of 'em...
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            Oh I understand completely how the RR or the contractor company would transport them.

                            I was thinking of how a thief would do so
                            Ohh, okay; got it. (Brain phart on my part.)
                            Yeah, it's not like most of the stuff that gets swiped from railroads, where loose items get tossed into a tote or wheelbarrow and then into the back of a pickup truck. Six tons would involve a bunch of cutting to make it manageable on any vehicle (trailer) of less than a certain number of axles,

                            Back in April 2010, my company had 6-10 kegs of spikes stolen, all of which were upwards of 200 lbs. We found tracks in the dirt that looked like a dolly/hand truck, so that one could have even involved a box truck with a slide-out ramp. Something that has its own prime mover would be much harder to cart off.

                            The spikes theft and the theft of a 120-gallon vertical LP tank in 11/2010 became the impetus for installing cameras around that facility. Not much has "grown legs" from there since we added the cams.
                            In NJ, they have way more territory to cover.
                            --
                            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Update: A nearby business has a great camera system, and it provided good images of a suspect. ("Good" meaning "Oh, look, it's _____ _____. Does he have a learning problem, or what?")
                              --
                              Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5521 users online. 325 members and 5196 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X