300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicidal officer

What is your department's policy for treating an officer who is discovered to be suicidal? At what point would he be allowed to return to patrol? Would he first be put on desk duty--if so, how long?

Originally posted by Shelby Rush View Post
    What is your department's policy for treating an officer who is discovered to be suicidal? At what point would he be allowed to return to patrol? Would he first be put on desk duty--if so, how long?
    That is going to vary widely depending on the situation.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

"Discovered to be suicidal" covers a pretty wide spectrum of behavior. What are the circumstances?

Comment

Term paper? Research project?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Good call.

Comment

We bring them on top of a building and say " Do you really wanna jump, Do you?
            Then when they are not looking we handcuff them and say it again but look crazy, then we jump off the building into a blown up cushion and they think I'm crazy and all of a sudden they have a zest for life... Then IOWA says " He's too old for this sh--"
            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Unfortunately, we can't (nor should we) treat suicidal cops any differently than we do suicidal non-cops.

If we cut them "breaks", we get accused of double-standard by public & media.

If they die at their own hand after a break was cut, family sues saying "Department didn't do enough!"

So here's an idea...time off, department issued gun retrieved. If state law (like California) allows, book all personal firearms for safekeeping. Get the employee into TREATMENT. Soft duty is okay, providing you have a spot for them, but this isn't a one size fits all situation - a ten officer department where everyone but the chief works patrol, isn't going to have the places to shelve them like a 1000, or even a 100 officer department.

Have Department Psychologist determine "fitness for duty". California has a mental health court which allows previous held psych patients to get all their rights, including firearm possession back (although no attorney, or even the NRA has EVER assisted any party in trying to get their guns back).
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Like an old lady's underwear, Depends.

We've had people get time off, get treatment, and get back to work after a few months. We've had people never return to work and eventually be separated from the department. We've also, unfortunately, had several who were successful in killing themselves.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                  Like an old lady's underwear, Depends.

We've had people get time off, get treatment, and get back to work after a few months. We've had people never return to work and eventually be separated from the department. We've also, unfortunately, had several who were successful in killing themselves.
                  ^ This, though we have more than a few that are quietly drinking themselves to death and other destructive behaviors in their off time.
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    Actually ... novel.

Comment

Then state so at the outset.
                      My agency would assign them to the Rangemaster, that way they can be directly evaluated while handling weapons...
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanks everyone, for your responses! If it helps, here's some additional info:

This fictitious officer is one of 1300, so I'm imagining desk duty will be an option for him, once he's up to it.

How'd he get in this mess? He's the first responder to a bad wreck; he comforts a victim as she dies (he can't do a thing to help her). Normally, that wouldn't have gotten to him, but he's also dealing with a good friend who's recently been diagnosed with stage III cancer, and his ex-wife leaves him a second time (he was really hoping to reconcile). That and ten years of police work ... he's worn out. He's an all or nothing kind of guy, so finding a balance is hard for him. He internalizes too much. A shame since he's well liked and respected as the shift's FTO.

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Let's take this a step further.......... What do you with a dept. that pushes an officer into it???????

Comment

How about this gets moved to a non-cop thread so people don't waste their time on responding to a non-event.
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                              How about this gets moved to a non-cop thread so people don't waste their time on responding to a non-event.
                              You know the mods don't read threads............................they have to be messaged or the thread reported for them to take any action
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6249 users online. 346 members and 5903 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X