Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The movie "Selma" Anti-cop propaganda?

So I went to the movies last night and saw the following trailer during the previews. Is it just me or does the timing of the release of this movie and what the movie portrays seem a bit coincidental given the current anti-law enforcement climate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6t7vVTxaic

Thoughts?

It's a movie based on historical events and undoubtedly, given the recent events of race issues and law enforcement, Hollywood is looking to cash in on it. That's what Hollywood does.

Comment

The movie has been in preproduction/talks/planning since 2009, and was finally cast and completed in 2014; it predates the Fergusson shooting. For Hollywood, I would say that it was just "lucky" timing.

As far as anti-police sentiment, I would expect an accurate portrayal of Southern police at the time in question. One of the roles of Southern law enforcement was to keep black people "in their place" by whatever means necessary. From a historical persepctive, many police officers engaged in acts of violence that would get an officer sued and criminally indicted today.

Comment

Might sound strange to some, but I don't see a connection. Take a look at Post#2. I think that's right on the mark. Full disclosure also requires me to report that my Agency (Alabama DPS) was the primary agency involved at Pettus Bridge.

Comment

Edit to read Post#3 is right on the mark as well.

Comment

The history behind Selma is very interesting. The movie really could not have been accurate if it had painted the actions of the police in those days as anything other than oppressive.
            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Down south way back when colored officers were not policemen, they in some instance were patrolmen. A HUGE difference. when black marched for equal rights, cops would not see things that happened to the people when they were beat. Bad time back then.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5397 users online. 319 members and 5078 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X