Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embarrassing (GA chief shoots wife with his service weapon)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassing (GA chief shoots wife with his service weapon)

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/investi...f-could/njfML/

Peachtree City’s police chief told a 911 dispatcher he accidentally shot his wife twice when he moved his service weapon, which was in the bed early New Year’s Day, according the recording of the call released Friday.

City police chief William McCollom called 911 around 4 a.m. to report the shooting and his 58-year-old wife, Margaret, could be heard moaning and crying in the background.

McCollom sounded calm during the call though distracted.

“Gun shot wound. Accidental. Need medical ASAP,” he said at the beginning of the call.

Margaret McCollim remained in the hospital Friday.

McCollom began the call saying she was shot once in the back but agreed it was twice when the 911 operator asked him for clarification.

Later in the call he is heard to say “Oh my God…how did this happen?”

He told her he shot his sleeping wife with his department-issued Glock 17 9-millimeter.

The Fayette County district attorney said it could be a week or as long as a month before he gets a report on a state investigation of Peachtree City police chief, who shot and critically wounded his wife early New Year’s Day.

“We’re waiting on the GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) to do their investigation,” DA Scott Ballard said Friday. While GBI agents continue interviewing witnesses, it is the lab tests that will take longer to complete, he said.

Once Ballard reviews the GBI report, he will decide if criminal charges will be brought against the suspended police chief.

Investigators have not said what led to the shooting, but the town’s city manager has placed McCollom on routine administrative leave pending completion of the investigation and an internal review, according to the department.

McCollom joined the department in 2012 and became interim chief in July He was permanently put in the job in October.

I sure hope that his wife makes a full recovery.

I have to ask. Who handles loaded firearms in their own bed while their significant other is asleep next to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post
      I have to ask. Who handles loaded firearms in their own bed while their significant other is asleep next to them?
      Apparently some GA police chiefs.

Comment

How do you accidentally shoot someone twice???

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post
          Someone who has absolutely no business handling a firearm. In my opinion, this is a one and done event. I don't see how anyone could ever have confidence in his decision making abilities after this.

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
          Apparently some GA police chiefs.
          I sure hope that only this singular soon-to-be-former GA police chief would.

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
          I've heard that there was actually only a single round fired. Perhaps he was confused (or intoxicated) when he made the call. If multiple rounds were fired, the only possible none-nefarious explanation that I could envision would entail him assuming that he was firing at a home intruder (blindly).
          Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 01-02-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
            If multiple rounds were fired, the only possible none-nefarious explanation that I could envision would entail him assuming that he was firing at a home intruder (blindly).
            And we recently learned how this worked out for Oscar Pistorius.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
              http://www.ajc.com/news/news/investi...f-could/njfML/

I sure hope that his wife makes a full recovery.
              This is exactly why we need more gun control. Paranoid civilians gun-nuts don't need guns, that's what we have police for.. No, wait, the title of this thread can't be right....

Comment

Per the latest report it was only 1 shot.
                Originally posted by Ceridwen
                Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                  Maybe he thought he missed the first time?

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
                    Per the latest report it was only 1 shot.
                    That was reported tonight on the national news............buy the GBI
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Tragedy. Speedy recovery to the wife. She shoulda dropped the knife.... Just kidding liberals....
                      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        That was reported tonight on the national news............buy the GBI
                        I watched that report. It also indicated that of his four marriages, he was married to the current spouse / victim two times, and that he was a police firearms instructor. It went on to say that he is by her side in at the hospital in Atlanta. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope this was just a bad judgment thing and makes him rethink his career choice. The 911 operator seemed to be the one who said two times and he agreed with her.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                          I watched that report. It also indicated that of his four marriages, he was married to the current spouse / victim two times, and that he was a police firearms instructor. It went on to say that he is by her side in at the hospital in Atlanta. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope this was just a bad judgment thing and makes him rethink his career choice. The 911 operator seemed to be the one who said two times and he agreed with her.
                          Yea, stoopid is as stoopid does.

I am sure the story will come out ----------------and I don't know if it SHOULD be a career ender. Sometimes mistakes are just that ---mistakes.

I have been on the wrong end of a bad "discharge" & while no one was injured............it was a humiliating experience that I trust you that has not been repeated in 37 yrs
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

YI don't know if it SHOULD be a career ender.
                            He has got his time in and should at least re-think what he needs to be doing. I haven't yet had a negligent discharge, but as I was FTOing a lateral with several years experience, he tried to shoot out the tire of a vehicle that was fleeing over a property crime. That reflected badly on both of us and I had those thoughts.

There may be more to the story and it may be just as it appears. At any rate, the investigator hat was on when I was going through scenarios, motives and other factors. I probably spoke out of turn.

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

Yea, stoopid is as stoopid does.

I am sure the story will come out ----------------and I don't know if it SHOULD be a career ender. Sometimes mistakes are just that ---mistakes.

I have been on the wrong end of a bad "discharge" & while no one was injured............it was a humiliating experience that I trust you that has not been repeated in 37 yrs
                              Not to downplay the significance of your ND, but, was it into your wife's back while you were in bed with a unholstered firearm? If i resided and paid taxes within his jurisdiction, I would have zero confidence in his ability to lead other officers in the field after this. I would actively campaign for his removal from office. If someone accidentally shoots me or one of my family members in the back, I want them held accountable. If someone drives recklessly or drunk and injures me with a vehicle, I want them held accountable. Some mistakes really are inexcusable, and firearm related mistakes are just those types of mistake.
                              Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4293 users online. 239 members and 4054 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X