Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stop calling firefighters 'heroes.' "

A Journalistic Slam Of Firefighters from Slate.com

"Stop calling firefighters 'heroes.' " (A cush job most of the time)
    Slate ^ | Oct. 31, 03 | Douglas Gantenbein

Stop calling firefighters "heroes." By Douglas Gantenbein Posted Friday, October 31, 2003, at 12:05 PM PT

A cush job, most of the time

When California Gov.-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger toured the state's catastrophic wildfires a few days ago, he uttered the phrase that now accompanies any blaze as surely as smoke: "The firefighters are the true heroes."

It's understandable why he said that. As fires go, the California blazes are scary. They are moving incredibly quickly through dried brush and chaparral that practically explode when they ignite, threatening the life of any firefighter nearby. Steven L. Rucker, a 38-year-old firefighter and paramedic for the town of Novato, was killed working to save houses. Elsewhere, thousands of firefighters have worked for hours on end in 95-degree heat, dressed in multiple layers of fire-resistant clothing, sometimes without enough food or water because of the long and shifting supply lines.

Given all that, it may seem churlish to suggest that firefighters might not deserve the lofty pedestal we so insistently place them on. We lionize them, regard them as unsullied by base motivations, see them as paragons of manliness (and very tough womanliness). They're easily our most-admired public servants, and in the public's eye probably outrank just about anyone except the most highly publicized war veterans. But the "hero" label is tossed around a little too often when the subject is firefighting. Here's why:

Continue Article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefighting is a cushy job. Firefighters may have the best work schedule in the United States
    "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

My guess is that the writer of the article knocked over his bong, set his hemp mat on fire, and was unhappy with the response time from his local FD... He'll probably write another article on how being a Navy SEAL is a cake job, since they get paid to scuba and sky dive, and they get more hot babes than the averge joe...

Comment

Apparently a person who's never been inside a burning building! I'll go up against a man with a gun anyday before I'd run into a building on fire!

I recall one night driving by a house on fire. It looked like something from a cartoon, flames were coming out all the windows. Four firemen were on the roof chopping a hole in it to venilate the fire. It'd have taken at least four more to have kept me up there!

Hats off to them!
      "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

I read that and as a Volunteer Firefighter it was worse than being slapped in the face. I admire and respect all "Public Servants" (LEO's, FF's EMT's). I can only imagine the look on this guy's face if he was in a burning house when it flashed over, while he was attempting to locate someone's child. Or maybe when it got so hot that his face shield on his helmet began to warp. Reporters like him disgust me.

John
        FF/EMT

Comment

I didn't even read the whole thing. I have family members that are FF's and I couldn't do it.

Originally posted by retdetsgt
          Apparently a person who's never been inside a burning building! I'll go up against a man with a gun anyday before I'd run into a building on fire!

I
          I agree completely!
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
          and I'm not sure about the former.
          -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Marky-mark,

Loved your response!

I was a volunteer fire fighter myself.

I didn't bother reading the whole article either!

Marky-Mark...loved your response!!

Comment

I sent SI a e-mail letting them know how i felt about that nit wit and them for allowing that article. When i got home from work tonight i had a response thanking me for writing them a letter and they will get back to me as soon as they can.
              I'm willing to bet they don't. But after reading it i did promise i will never buy another Sports Illustrated Magazine again.
              Everyone write them and tell them what you think about the article.
              Don't tell me you pay my salary unless your giving me a raise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob L
                I'm willing to bet they don't. But after reading it i did promise i will never buy another Sports Illustrated Magazine again.
                Ummmm.....what made you think this came from Sports Illustrated???

Comment

Last edited by Bob L; 11-04-2003, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Not Heroes

Well I guess this person needs to ride a 24 hr shift with (add your city here (Fire Department), Lets wait folks he will slam our fellow Police Next, Lets toss him in a Training building in an extra 70 lbs of clothing with a Hose that can weigh up to 40 Lbs more in temps that can reach 1000 + degrees, spend countless hours training in Medical, Rescue, Hazmat, and not to mention the countless EMS calls that keep your wheels running for Hours, its true that you dont run every minute and you have allot of down time, but Our Brother Fire Fighters are just like us... a insurance policy, when things get brown its them or us sticking our necks out to serve a person who for the most part and generaly dont want us there to begin with and we serve with pride a community that is slowly becoming anti every thing.

Police Officer by Proffession & Volunteer Firefighter Paramedic by Choice

Comment

i read the entire article as "i'm a puss, WAAAAHHHHH"

when was the last time a little kid dressed up as an editorialist (guess that's what this guy is) for halloween came up to this guy to get his autograph is his autograph book? (we had a kid at a carnival dressed as a ff who did this )
                      We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

I'm a Vol FF myself. Sad thing is, when his house catches on fire the firefighters wont care if he supports them or not gotta put it out regardless.

Jeremy
                        SCSD
                        You dont have to like us, or like what we do, but when you need us, we will help you to the best of our abilites. Its just part of it.
                        www.scottcosheriff.com

Comment

I sent SI a e-mail letting them know how i felt about that nit wit and them for allowing that article. When i got home from work tonight i had a response thanking me for writing them a letter and they will get back to me as soon as they can.
                          Sports Illustrated had that article? In the original posting it said it was from Slate. Slate's a left wing internet magazine. Big difference. I'd be pretty shocked to read it in SI. They usually have the hard hitting editorial content of "People Magazine".
                          "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Desk Jockeys

I have never been a firefighter but when I read that All I could think is about the pogue sitting behind the desk on his/her fat A#@ drinking his/her latte's knowing he will never be called a hero. In fact sometimes wonders what he/she contributes to society. If you save lives then that is what makes you a hero. I agree Hero is thrown around quite a bit but to say FF are not hero's then that is wrong.

Comment

I think i may have jumped the gun here by just putting out what was sent to me. I had received info that Douglas Gantenbein was a reporter for Sports Ill. and he wrote for them.
                              I did send a letter to SI and they were nice enough to send me a letter back explaining that Douglas Gantenbein is in fact a free lance writer and is in no way employed by SI.
                              I should have known better to just put it out like that, but i let my feelings override my thinking.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2265 users online. 133 members and 2132 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X