Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhawk! Level 3 light bearing hoster

Hey Guys,

I just ordered my first duty holster off of the internet. I purchased the blackhawk serpa level 3 light bearing holster. Im going to be waiting for a week on it to arrive. This holster is made to be used with the xiphos light system attached. I bought this holster to use with my Glock 21, however my agency doesn't allow for us to attach light mounted weapons unless the deputy is in a specialty unit.

My question is, will the holster still secure my weapon if I do not have the xiphos light attached. I am hoping that someone has experience and has tried this. Or if not i am at least someone is willing to try this situation with their own rig.

Sorry to ask but I'm hoping to get this answered so that I can cancel the order if I need to before it ships. I have looked all over the internet and cant seem to locate any information on this

Thanks guys!

I would think, this post should be in "Equipment and Tactical" - would fair a better shot at a response.

http://forums.officer.com/f18/

In my experience, I have a Blackhawk holster and other equipment by them. They have great customer service - give them a call if you hare not getting any answers from here. 1.800.379.1732

Comment

It's designed for the WML attached.
      FYI, Serpas are garbage.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I'm one of the very very few serpa fans here but I'm not an expert. I would think that the holster is designed to be used minus the light since the release mechanism only holds the weapon in the holster in the trigger area.

Comment

Serpas have a history of release failures, weapons jammed in the holster and not retrievable, crap construction and have been banned by many Fed/LE/.Mil users.

Get a safariland.

Comment

If it does hold, it won't be to a level that you'll be happy with. I have quite a few high-end light bearing holsters, none of them hold non-light equipped firearms securely enough for me to be comfortable with them (most of them will lock into place, but that isn't good enough).

Don't skimp on holster hardware. If you want a light bearing holster, but also have a need to carry without the light equipped, you'll need to buy two holsters.

The Safariland ALS system is a significantly better design than the Blackhawk Serpa system. Being in law enforcement, you should be able to source Safariland hardware for ~%50 off.
            Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 12-19-2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Have Serpa holsters been banned at FLETC? If so, why?
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Because of failures to function. Read up on them. They are crap and I wouldn't stake my life on them.
                Go to the other forum I'm at and do a search.

Comment

It is neither here nor there, but it is the predominant holster at our agency. Our range master told me that he has never seen any problems so far. Also, I never hear anything negative from officers wearing them. I still believe it is the fastest drawing security holster out there.

I recommend them to officers who don't just strap on a holster because it is part of their uniform but who are gun guys. Using your trigger finger to engage the mechanism may not be the best design feature and it has led to unintended discharges, but with training and continued practice, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm aware of other issues like the weapon not releasing from the holster. That is the worst issue, but again, I've on seen these issues on the net and not in our area.

I'm not against Safariland holsters, and I recommend them also. They just aren't the only option out there.

Comment

Those issues you bring up are a good reason NOT to buy or use them.
                    I am just as fast with my retention holster. It's called practice.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                      Have Serpa holsters been banned at FLETC? If so, why?
                      FLETC has gone to the idea of you must use the holster they issue during training, for those in the basic programs, or agency issued. If you carry some other style that looks like you got it yourself, they will ask and if it's not agency issue, they will have you remove it. Their philosofy is that you train with what you use on duty.

So no, not banned but I don't see many federal agencies carrying them either.

They do this with all gear down to cuffs and flashlights. They never actually say it but they hint toward a reason through training. When you go through one of their courses, and at some point in your career use the training as they taught, they will send experts, instructors, etc to your defense if need be. With that, the standardization of equipment used is necessary for them to if they are going to defend that you used your equipment as trained and to their standards.
                      Last edited by eaker995; 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I've had a serpa level III for years and it's never malfunctioned for me.

I do have a couple questions though.

If your agency doesn't allow lights to be attached to your weapon, why did you buy a holster that accommodates a light?

And why would an agency not allow a light to be attached to your weapon? Seems kind of stupid to me. It frees up a hand and it gives you another light. In my opinion you can never have enough lights.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          Because of failures to function. Read up on them. They are crap and I wouldn't stake my life on them.
                          Go to the other forum I'm at and do a search.
                          Was I being annoyingly Socratic?
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I had two different Serpa holsters. Both injection-molded junk. The release button is poorly positioned and the overall quality is mass-market hobbyist grade. For a duty holster, go with Safariland. For off duty, custom Kydex or leather.

Comment

I've seen two SERPA duty holster's break within the last two years, both where the belt mount attaches to the actual holster. I have also personally had a non-duty version break after just casual use and was almost unable to get my pistol out of it. Since then, all of my holster's (for both on and off duty) have been Safariland ALS style.
                              Originally posted by Ceridwen
                              Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2848 users online. 155 members and 2693 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X