300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Ramblings (desert critters)

Last night was animal night for me. Had a couple of big horn sheep come of the side of a mountain to check out my victim on a fatal one vehicle, saw two fox on the trip back to Sandy, made road kill out of Bunny, then.... the best part. I have critter holes all over my property which I typically assume belong to bunnies, badgers and the like. I have one relatively large one right in my driveway where I park the police truck. As I was pulling in at 0 dark 30 last night I finally caught a glimps of it's occupant. It was a tiny owl. Little thing didn't stand more than 6-7 inches tall. It zipped back in after the momentary deer in the headlights response. I had no idea any of them lived in the ground until I checked it out on the good ole' internet. You learn something new everyday.

Do you really have badgers down there? I always figured the desert would not be their favorite climate.

I darn near got broadsided by a big horn up near DV Jct one day. Broad daylight, and I was running hot to a call in Tecopa. He came out of nowhere from my left, and passed just behind me. I've NO idea what he was running from, but it couldn't have startled him more than he startled me!

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: Don ]
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Don:
      Do you really have badgers down there?

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: Don ]
      Like I said. Midnight ramblings. I was using the name genericly for furry things that live under my house . I doubt we have any here but I didn't think we had owls living in the ground either. The last time I saw a real Badger was in Eastern South Dakota. We do have a ton of fox this year for some reason though. I've always considered it a good year if I spot one. I've seen a half dozen already this year.

Comment

I'm a city boy what's a badger?
        Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph:
          I'm a city boy what's a badger?
          Definition #1: It is a little hairy thing not much bigger than a raccoon or skunk. With sharp teeth, long claws, and quite possibly the nastiest attitude of any creature in the Animal kingdom.

Definition #2: A University of Wisconsin Athlete. (And a football team that Penn State is going to trample next year!)

Comment

Definition #3. Spousal reply, ie: Why do you BADGER me for money all the time?"
            " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by Nittany Lion:

Definition #1: It is a little hairy thing not much bigger than a raccoon or skunk. With sharp teeth, long claws, and quite possibly the nastiest attitude of any creature in the Animal kingdom.

I think NL is being waaaay to generous about this S.O.B. I saw one turn on a good size Lab Retriever who was just kind of curious about it. Then when the dog's owner came out to defend the dog with a shovel, attack the shovel! These little [email protected] are MEAN!
              6P1 (retired)

Comment

Oh boy Nittany!!!!!!!!!

That one just struck a little too close to home!

PS will be getting their *** WHOOOOOOOOOOPED!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, I may need to look at the schedule and see if its a home game. If it is, I just may have to go work it so I can witness the massacre myself!

Btw, a badger is actually about 20-30 pounds and having run into one while hunting about 2 years ago I can vouch that even though they are small. They are SCARY! Just about the ugliest thing running around the woods, and damn mean. Luckily one 12ga slug hitting the ground about 6 feet in front of him convinced him that I was the bigger and more importantly meaner animal that day.
                Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Hey jeeper,
                  I'll do you Badgers favor and give you a warning about the return to dominance of the Mighty Nittany Lions in 2002. Spear-Headed by the future Heisman Trophy winning QB, Zak Mills.
                  Looking foward to the matchup. Should be a very competitive year in the Big Ten!

My former employer, a die hard bow hunter, went on hunting trip and had a run in with those crazy little critters. My boss is a LARGE man (like 6'3, 240) but when he came up and personal with one those things...he ran like the wind..and the darn thing chased him (I would have given eight paychecks to see that)!! He had to drop his bow and go to his handgun and shot the little maniac!

Comment

I know what a Badger is and what a Lion is. What's a Nittany?
                    Bill R

Comment

Originally posted by Bill R:
                      I know what a Badger is and what a Lion is. What's a Nittany?
                      The University is located in State College, PA. in a valley of the Northern Appalachian Mountains. One of the Mountains is called Mount Nittany. There used to be a bunch of Mountain lions up on Mount Nittany. Hence Penn State Nittany Lions

However, they no longer inhabit the mountains anymore. That is bad thing because of all the expansion of man and animals becoming extinct...It is good thing because I can't outrun a Mountain Lion!!

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: Nittany Lion ]

Comment

We have mountain lions popping up around here from time to time and people go into a panic. My God, a mountain lion in the woods! What next? The media goes into a literal panic every time a shark is spotted in the ocean. Well, where else do ya think you're going to see one? A few years ago, a local defense attorney was chased by a mountain lion while on a jog. Unfortunately, the lawyer escaped.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer:
                          A few years ago, a local defense attorney was chased by a mountain lion while on a jog. Unfortunately, the lawyer escaped.
                          Awwww, that's too bad.... for the mountain lion.
                          " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

A friend of mine lives near the Evergladesm fairly rural. This spring, He opened his windows and a door and sat back on his recliner to relx and watch TV. All of a sudden, he smelled this smell. In walks this skunk. My friend said he sat perfectly still for almost 20 minutes as this thing investigated his house. He was really worried it would spray, esprcially when it investigated HIM. He said he's never leaving a door open again!
                            Another time, another person in South Florida heard her dogs barking one night. She got ups to see what it was and heard this hissing. All of a sudden, this huge alligator swung it's huge head, broke into ground level windows and chased her dogs into the living room. Her H came running with a gun, thinking someone had broken into the house. He said the gator was still chasing the dogs when he shot it.
                            I got my first taste of what development is doing to our country though. I was coming down a new Boulevard and there, in the middle of 2 busy roads, was this huge gator sunning itself. We almost never see that here. It will be reloscated....Apartments are taking over his home

Comment

Originally posted by Nittany Lion:

There used to be a bunch of Mountain lions up on Mount Nittany. Hence Penn State Nittany Lions

Ah-HAH, I knew if I waited long enough someone ELSE would ask that question! Thanks, I had also wondered about the name.
                              6P1 (retired)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4378 users online. 240 members and 4138 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X