Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa is experimenting with digital driver's licenses, iphone apps.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa is experimenting with digital driver's licenses, iphone apps.

Next year, the Iowa Department of Transportation will experiment with issuing drivers licenses via an app. The digital license will display a 3-D photo of the driver's face, which can be rotated side to side so law enforcement can better match the licensee to the picture.

"Really, it's about giving customers a choice," said Andrea Henry, spokeswoman for the Iowa Department of Transportation. "We're in an increasingly mobile world, and there are so many things that are connected to your mobile phone."
    Source

Methinks there is much potential for abuse and fraud with this. Not to mention one good server hack to spill people's information all over the internet.

Some things need to remain old-fashioned.
    There once was a man who said: "Though,
    it seems that I know that I know,
    what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
    when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

No thanks. You can hand me your phone, but I'm going to refuse to take it. I'd much rather take your name and information by pen and paper, and run it myself in the computer in my car.

Can you imagine how fast people are going to accuse us of opening up their pictures, text messages, ect while their phone is in our hands and our of their sight? Who's going going to pay for your phone if I accidentally drop it on the ground?

I'm aware that our union has drafted a response, and I've read several emails from Iowa based police organizations that are asking for input on this already. Not that that is going to make any difference. The state, as usual, will figure it out soon enough through the backlash of Law Enforcement and citizen complaints.

Comment

I oppose this not because of the risk of an officer dropping the phone or seeing something he or she shouldn't. I oppose it because it will be one more link in the chain of the addiction Americans today have to those confounded little boxes that are dominating their lives (saw a survey the other day that said about two-thirds of college-age Americans spend, ironically, two-thirds of their waking hours on their smartphones). I have a smartphone, after resisting it for years, because I really need one on my job, but that's about all it gets used. I sometimes go 2 or 3 days without recharging mine, while some of my friends have to have it on constant charge because they're constantly using it for something or another. To me it's a tool, to them it's like a bodily part.

Comment

Originally posted by MIDWAY View Post
        No thanks. You can hand me your phone, but I'm going to refuse to take it. I'd much rather take your name and information by pen and paper, and run it myself in the computer in my car.

Can you imagine how fast people are going to accuse us of opening up their pictures, text messages, ect while their phone is in our hands and our of their sight? Who's going going to pay for your phone if I accidentally drop it on the ground?

I'm aware that our union has drafted a response, and I've read several emails from Iowa based police organizations that are asking for input on this already. Not that that is going to make any difference. The state, as usual, will figure it out soon enough through the backlash of Law Enforcement and citizen complaints.
        My understanding (despite what some of the media outlets are touting) is that a "plastic" license will be issued and the electronic copy will be an option.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by NoWingedAngel View Post
          Source

Methinks there is much potential for abuse and fraud with this. Not to mention one good server hack to spill people's information all over the internet.

Some things need to remain old-fashioned.
          DMVs already are online. Smartphone DLs wouldn't be any more vulnerable than the network already is.

As far as fraud, people already make fake DLs and have been since there have been DLs.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Phones won't be easy to wedge into the ticket book.

Comment

What if the phone dies? What if the officer drops the phone? An app - how many nanoseconds will it take someone to find the source code, and duplicate it, allowing for infinite fake DLs? Although, using both (post #4) would be cool....it seems more like a neat party trick though, than something you would actually use.

I see the appeal, for sure. But as a teenager, who charges his phone at least twice daily from use, I still say plastic is the way to go.
              REINSTATE THE TRIG
              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
              Your logic defies logic
              Originally posted by Rudy8116
              Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
              Originally posted by Michigan
              Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
              Originally posted by TheTick
              A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
              Originally posted by TheTick
              This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
              Originally posted by 02paul09
              Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6462 users online. 347 members and 6115 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X