300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    Jeb Bush says the men should be charged for it. My question is charged with what? If thats all it was then they broke no laws. Its not conspiracy to do anything unless they made some steps towards it.

There isn't a crime about stupidity. Too bad. Then they could charge the three men and the woman too.

It's against the law to make terroristic threats which is what they did. They wanted to be overheard, and they were. Now you know what to charge them with.

I say charge them and set an example. If you disagree, maybe you should walk into an airport and make a joke about having a bomb.

This stuff is deadly serious.

[ 09-13-2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: MikeTx ]

Comment

I am one of the most liberal officers in my office, if not the country. All I

Comment

First, one of the guys sister was on the TV, calling this woman in GA a liar. Claiming her brother would NEVER say anything like that.

Guess she looks like an idiot now. But the press will excuse her.

Second, I've thought of a number of targets between there and here, aside from Atlanta. Don't forget jarhead, I-75 goes through Tampa, as well as being a logical route to anything around the Tampa Bay and at least one nuclear power plant. At the moment, the US Central Command is located at MacDill AFB, Tampa.

Third, I think they should be prosecuted as well. For 20 years now, people have known that you don't talk about bombs airports. We've seen several cases nationally, and one in my county, where people have been convicted of fake anthrax threats. And FL has a specific statute about fake bomb threats. However, I believe that GA will have jurisdiction.

Last, for the few I heard criticizing the tipster......well, the censor feature won't let me address you properly.

Comment

BTW, I forgot to add in the coincidence file that they were headed to Miami and last night at Miami Intl. they arrested someone of the terrorist list.

Comment

Why would someone criticize the tipster?

I've got say I'm a bit surprised by how public she's made herself. I don't know if I'd be willing to be anything but an anonymous tipster, were I in her high-heels.

[ 09-13-2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Crazy in a Jeep ]

Comment

She didn't do anything wrong she just needs a lesson in discreet observation. If they were really planning something unlawful would they be speaking English? Where are they from and are they both from the same place?

Comment

quote:
                If they were really planning something unlawful would they be speaking English
                You'd think they wouldn't be speaking of it at all! On the other hand, maybe they were all really stupid and forgot to read Rule #3 of Osama's Top Ten Rules on Convert Attacks on the Great Satan?

Comment

"Why would someone criticize the tipster?"

Other than the families, who have called the woman a liar, I've already heard some crying about predjudice and how we're turning into a police state.

Let's face it, they made her think it ON PURPOSE. Whatever happens to them is deserved.

"I've got say I'm a bit surprised by how public she's made herself. I don't know if I'd be willing to be anything but an anonymous tipster, were I in her high-heels."

That was the first thing my dad said.

"Where are they from and are they both from the same place?"

There were 3 of them. One is Iranian, one Pakistani and IIRC, the third was Syrian or Lebanese.

Comment

quote:
                    That was the first thing my dad said.
                    Including the high-heels bit?

quote:
                    Other than the families, who have called the woman a liar,
                    I wouldn't judge the families too hard ... I tend to put up a thick wall when people talk bad about my family (I can only imagine my reaction if my sister or cousins were accused of something like this ...) "What? They'd NEVER! That woman's a LIAR!"

Comment

Not, not the high heels line.

We hear it all the time.......My son would NEVER shoplift, the store is lying. My daughter would NEVER drink, your officer is wrong. Blah, blah, blah.

But that sister should go back on TV and apologize.

Comment

I remember hearing an interesting end note along this lines. That Blockbuster shooting a few months back? Dad comes into pick up his son, confronts two guys with shotguns robbing the place, and shoots them both? The father of one of the dead men threw a fit ... said his son would never do something like this ... that the other father was a murderer ...

... and then after a few days had passed, he changed his tone 180 degrees, admitting that he'd been too blinded by emotion to see anything but what he wanted too.*

I think allowances should be made for family members speaking in the heat of the moment (although they'd probably do better to not speak to anyone until they'd calmed down).

* I may have gotten some details wrong, but I was pretty clear that was how it unfolded.

In a somewhat related bit to the thread title: a few illegal immigrants from Morroco (sp?) were arrested in Baltimore within the past few weeks. I haven't been following the story as closely as I should have (been busy finding a new job - YAY! and working on school schidt). There were eight people, no ID, in an unfurnished apartment. They had computers linked to 1700 flight schools; pamphlets of journals on "Islamic Holy War"; and materials to make false IDs.

Comment

Not only were they calling the woman a liar, the first thing they were spewing was racism this that and the other. It's because I wear a scarf blah blah blah... We're dicriminated agianst whatever. They were stupid. They said stupid things.

One guy on Fox said that the police had no right to tear apart the cars. All they had was this tip. Hello? Was he paying attention? If the dogs hadn't hit something I don't think that they wouldn have searched the car like they did.

I didn't think about Tampa and I didn't know that there was a nuclear plant there. The farthest south I've been on I-75 is where it meets the 10 so I'm not that familiar with it south of there.

I'm still not convinced that this is over. How many people have gotten away with something, or tried to get out of trouble by saying "It was only a joke" "What's the big deal?" I'm unconvinced.
                          On the wings of a dove
                          Let's roll for justice
                          Let's roll for truth
                          Let's not let our children grow up
                          Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

So what if they cried racism? Not that the woman was wrong for tipping the police but that doesn't mean she wasn't a racist...Starring at those Middle Eastern looking men. There is allot of that going on and if white guys can feel oppressed why can't Middle Easterners in a post 9/11 world?

Comment

"Not that the woman was wrong for tipping the police but that doesn't mean she wasn't a racist...Starring at those Middle Eastern looking men."

Nor does staring at them make her a racist.

When I went into a grocery store in a remote area of Panama, I had a little kid stand and stare at me. I'm taller than the average resident there, and he'd never seen a guy with red hair before. didn't make him a racist.

Now, before you say it, I'm sure she's seem arabic people before. She says she's worked with people from Pakistan. My point is that staring does not equal racism.

And so what if she did? That should justify what they did? I hardly think so.

Let's be blunt. I doubt that part of GA is exactly the most cosmopolitan area in the Southeast and then you stop in one of the redneck draws (a Shoneys. I love their breakfast bar ), hell, why not go to Waffle House.

No, it's not "right" that they feel uncomfortable, but it's certainly not a suprise for them either. They shouldn't have done what they did.

Comment

They shouldn't have done what they did (which they are now denying doing at all). And I don't know who this woman is I simply meant that they could have felt that she was racist. My point being that for the familiy to feel that they were the target of racism isn't unfounded.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4930 users online. 300 members and 4630 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X