300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..and then came the day I couldn't care anymore

I thought this cop summed it very well...
    http://nycfirewire.com/today-i-stopped-caring/#comments
    Today I stopped Caring….
    by Fdny198 · December 7, 2014
    By Lt Daniel Furseth, DeForest, Wisconsin Police Department

Today, I stopped caring about my fellow man. I stopped caring about my community, my neighbors, and those I serve. I stopped caring today because a once noble profession has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted.

I stopped caring today because parents refuse to teach their kids right from wrong and blame us when they are caught breaking the law. I stopped caring today because parents tell their little kids to be good or “the police will take you away” embedding a fear from year one. Moms hate us in their schools because we frighten them and remind them of the evil that lurks in the world.

They would rather we stay unseen, but close by if needed, but readily available to “fix their kid.” I stopped caring today because we work to keep our streets safe from mayhem in the form of reckless, drunk, high, or speeding drivers, only to be hated for it, yet hated even more because we didn’t catch the drunk before he killed someone they may know.

Nevertheless, we are just another tool used by government to generate “revenue.” I stopped caring today because Liberals hate the police as we carry guns, scare kids, and take away their drugs. We always kill innocent people with unjust violence. We are called bullies for using a Taser during a fight, but are condemned further for not first tasing the guy who pulls a gun on us.

And if we do have to shoot, we are asked “why didn’t you just shoot the gun out of their hand?” And when one of us is killed by the countless attacks that do happen (but are rarely reported in the mainstream media) the haters say, “Its just part of the job.” I stopped caring today because Conservatives hate us as we are “the Government.” We try to take away their guns, freedoms, and liberty at every turn.

We represent a “Police State” where “jackbooted badge-wearing thugs” randomly attack innocent people without cause or concern for constitutional rights. We are Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Rodney King all rolled into one lone police officer stopping to help change an old lady’s tire. I stopped caring today as no one wants us around, but instantly demands answers, results, arrests, when a crime takes place.

If a crime isn’t solved within the allocated 60 minutes it takes CSI on television, we are inept, incompetent, or covering something up. If we do get “lucky” it was just that and everyone with a Facebook account can post wonderful comments of how “they” would solve the case and how “we” are not nearly as clever.

I stopped caring today because a video of a cop six states away, from a department that you never heard of, screws up and forgets his oath of honor, thus firing up an internet lynch-mob of cop haters even though 99% of us work twice as hard not to end up in the news and to still be “the good guys.” We are “militarized” because we wear body armor and kevlar helmets when shots are fired or rocks thrown at us and carry scary looking rifles even though everyone knows that they are easier to shoot and are more accurate than a handgun or a shotgun.

I stopped caring today because the culture of today’s instantly connected youth is only there to take and never give back. To never accept responsibility for ones actions, but to blame everyone else instead of themselves. To ask “what is in it for me?” versus “what can I do for you?”

To idolize gangsters, thugs, sexually promiscuous behavior, and criminals over hard work, dedication, and achievement. To argue that getting stoned should be a right, yet getting a job or an education is a hassle. To steal verus earn. To hate versus help. Yes, I stopped caring today. But tomorrow, I will put my uniform back on and I will care again.
    Not to take away from the sentiment above....but the day came when I just couldn't care anymore. The only ones I care about anymore are those walking that thin line wearing the badge....**** the rest.
    Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
    “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
    “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
    "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
    ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Yes I, as a civilian, have been guilty of believing some of the stereotypes about police and their work. But when I came to this forum and joined, my eyes were opened to things that I didn't realize and appreciate before.

Stay safe everyone.
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
      ...**** the rest.
      That is disconcerting.

Judge people for their actions and character, not their career choices. Your customers are the scum of the earth, and not every civilian shares their misguided sentiment. Just like civilians shouldn't buy the media narrative of 'the evil police', the police shouldn't buy the media narrative of 'everyone thinks the police are evil'. The vocal minority is irrelevant. If you weren't still wanted and appreciated, our representative government would have reflected as much. You are still wanted, and you are still needed.

Comment

Joe Friday couldn't have said it better.
        Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
        Among Texas' finest
        Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
        Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
        Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
          That is disconcerting.

Judge people for their actions and character, not their career choices. Your customers are the scum of the earth, and not every civilian shares their misguided sentiment. Just like civilians shouldn't buy the media narrative of 'the evil police', the police shouldn't buy the media narrative of 'everyone thinks the police are evil'. The vocal minority is irrelevant. If you weren't still wanted and appreciated, our representative government would have reflected as much. You are still wanted, and you are still needed.
          ...just being honest. Its how I feel some days and lately its how I feel most everyday.

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Comment

...just being honest. Its how I feel some days and lately its how I feel most everyday.
            What's disheartening is that you are not alone in your feelings. I know quite a few LEOs and this is a common sentiment. It's hard to care for a populace that "wants you to do your job" but then rails against you for doing exactly that because you didn't do it the way *they* think you should. And I know it's not everyone, really it's just a very vocal minority.

But who is going to get the air time and the press? The people who say (in a very reasonable voice) "I think the police are doing a gret job - look at the crime stats if you don't believe it." or the people shouting at the top of their lungs "Cops are racist motherfuklers, killing innocent unarmed teens cause of the color of they skin!!!!"

Comment

Agreed with JustAJ.
              http://www.gallup.com/poll/163052/am...st-record.aspx
              The poll shows that in 2013, 56% of Americans had a great deal of confidence in the police. That was the third highest thing they had high confidence in, right after the military and small businesses.
              You are completely mistaken if you think it's just you against the world. The majority of Americans SUPPORT their local law enforcement.

Comment

For those of you who still wear a badge, please know that the vast majority of us "civilians" out here are good and decent people. Many of us - such as myself, who used to be a deputy sheriff and others who are just good people - will 'have your six' if the excrement hits the fan. We are the silent majority and we understand that thin line on which you must walk every day.

Unfortunately, "we" are not the people in power. The politicians have sold us - and you - out.....as a way to increase their own power and stature. We are not your enemy. Never forget that! If you are out there putting your lives on the line, we respect that. Don't ever - even for a minute - think that we are not on your side. Should the day ever come when someone above you decides to order you to come after us, please think long and hard about the Constitution, your oath of office, etc., etc.

We are the FREE CITIZENS and want to be in your corner. We are NOT your enemy; despite a lot of scumbags out there.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I feel ya, Langford. I can understand why law enforcement professionals might be feeling pretty demoralized right now. Watching politicians and in some cases your own Chiefs in certain parts of the country throw you under the bus frankly makes me want to gag. I'm fortunate to have never witnessed a person of authority do that in my ten years in the Air Force and it boggles my mind to see commanders in LE do it.

But let me echo what a number of people here have already said. The Troglodytes, miscreants, and anarchists that have been given air time and have been inciting violence for the past few weeks ARE a small fraction of this country. The rest of us ARE the silent majority sickened by the hypocrisy, uneven-handedness, rush to judgment, criminal behavior, and fanning of flames by an agenda-driven press .....and frankly would like to see it boomerang in each and every one of their faces. So hang in there.

Please also realize you're not the only ones on the receiving end of people trying to tear down this country's traditional institutions. You should see how demoralized the military is these days. You should read the stories about just how many good people are leaving in droves. Of course we already know how demoralized Border Patrol agents are. And just yesterday was the intelligence community's turn. Anyone that thinks there was a shred of credibility to that little charade in the disclosure of that Torture Report yesterday is sorely uninformed. Meanwhile our forces and non military assets are on alert around the world because numerous agencies and numerous allies are expecting retaliation.

In addition much of our system of checks and balances in this country have been under attack, and polls show the public is now seeing it.

Hang in there, Langford. I'm betting this has been the last gasp of air from the discredited far left. The same way the formerly respected Senator Feinstein known for her level-headed bipartisanship threw years and years of that good reputation away in just one act yesterday....viewed as childish and desperate as she steps down from her powerful perch as Democrats lose the Senate next month.

The 75 -80% of the rest of us in this country that still respect these traditional institutions have had just about enough of this **** and I bet you see the pendulum begin to swing starting exactly one month from now.
                  Last edited by EmmaPeel; 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Hope you're right Em. And thanks for your service to our country.
                    Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                    Among Texas' finest
                    Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                    Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                    Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

With everything going on it is getting harder for me every day, luckily I still get a thanks every now and then.
                      I actually had a lady try to file a complaint on me the other day because I caught her and her friend got away from me.
                      Everyone seems that if they can complain to the right person they can get away with they did.
                      I even had a guy run that I was trying to talk to call a supervisor 15 minutes later to apologize and check to see if he was in trouble..
                      I need a VACATION......

Comment

We citizens appreciate what you guys do for us everyday. Thank you for your serving and protecting us. I wish you the best, and be safe out there and that includes all LEOs out there!

Comment

....trying, Emma

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,

Comment

Originally posted by chapwolfe View Post
                            Hope you're right Em. And thanks for your service to our country.
                            Democrats are in a downward spiral right now. THEY were actually threatening a government shutdown this time because of a Democrat Civil War.
                            Last edited by EmmaPeel; 12-12-2014, 11:28 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5153 users online. 294 members and 4859 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X