Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open letter to john Stewart and the daily show staff

Mr Stewart,

As a long time watcher and someone who almost always shares the same viewpoint as you, I was shocked to hear your comments following the Eric garner grand jury decision . As someone who always promotes fact checking and context, I was appalled at the level of anger you were displaying at both the grand jury, and most importantly at the police officers that were doing their job. You must think that the police officers were doing this to get a kick, or because they are racist? Could it not have simply been because garner was a criminal, albeit a minor one? May I remind you sir that the crime the criminal commits has no bearing whatsoever to the level of force he is prepared to use. Plenty of cops have been shot and killed on traffic stops where the only offense is speeding or some other minor infraction, and the events in ferguson were precipitated by a " cigar theft" ( also known as a strong arm robbery amongst other crimes that day).

Let's check some facts here:

1) garner was committing a crime, regardless of the level of infraction

2) when approached by police he didn't say " shucks you got me officer", instead he said "I didn't do anything ".

3) when officers attempted to detain him in cuffs he resisted being handcuffed. It was only at this point that officers tried to do a take down to the ground.

4) the supposed " choke" was a standard method of getting a larger man to the ground. It is not a choke but follows the time tested maxim of " control the head and the body follows". It uses mechanical physics to get a larger body to comply, whereas yanking on his arm would have no effect.

5) try watching ufc or another MMA fight. Chokes are immediately effective against professional fighters and renders them unconscious in less than 10 seconds due to a temporary disruption of blood to the brain. It has nothing to do with the airway or throat.

6) if you are able to say " I can't breathe" however many times he said it....you can breathe . Speaking requires breath. Watch any number of COPS episodes and you will see numerous instances of felons who have run from and been caught by police who claim the same thing. They are criminals for a reason, they tend to lie and exaggerate.

7) again to the video ...as officers try to handcuff once he is on the ground, the "choke" move is still being applied to prevent his head from moving. Garner is still conscious and resisting.

Why do you perpetuate the misinformation that he was "choked", and more importantly why do you perpetuate the same misinformation by the media that labeled trayvon Martin as coming back from the store with skittles and iced tea, or the ferguson incident as an "unarmed" black male? The Cleveland shooting is focusing on the officers target shooting record rather than the "criminal" who pulled what appeared to be a real gun from his pants when challenged at gun point by officers.There is more to law enforcement than meets the eye, and the simple fact behind all these incidents is that if the person was not engaged in some form of illicit behavior , they would not have encountered law enforcement in the first place ( or quasi law enforcement in the instance of trayvon Martin), and had they not resisted with violence they would not have been met with violence. Law enforcement is a dangerous business and cops are killed daily in incidents ...some of those killed are because they showed too much restraint because of negative media coverage and their fear to use appropriate force.

The public and media have misperceptions about law enforcement and their abilities. People constantly expect us to " shoot to wound" or to "shoot the gun from their hand". They also expect us to use Jackie Chan moves to disarm people, but the real world doesn't work that way. People don't understand why 6 cops have to pile on top of a bad guy, but they have never seen a 110lb bad guy stand up and fight when he had 5 guys on him. Policing is not television. A media person suggested in the garner case that instead of going "hands on" officers should have " pointed their guns and gave him commands". Therein lies the problem with cops vs media. Draw guns on a man before you attempt to arrest him for a non violent crime?? You point your gun , tell him to turn around and he says " no"....do you then shoot him? A handgun is a great tool if you are authorized legally to use it as the officer was in ferguson. In the garner case you can't articulate they were in fear of their lives, so the gun would be introducing a weapon to a fight that didn't previously have one. They could have tased him....but then there would be an uproar over cops tasing him, and the public would be saying " there were 6 cops there why did they have to tase him?" They could have brought out their expandable batons, but we see how the image of white cops and a large resistant black male being beaten with a baton goes over in America.

Cops are not above official oversight, but if the average person is entitled to a "jury of their PEERS" then cops also should have peers judge them, people who know the common practices, the difference between a punch to the nose and a pressure point strike, someone that has been in a fight since high school perhaps. We do not see general members of the public second guessing the actions of airline pilots " he should have deployed the gear at this altitude not that", nor do we second guess ER docs " why did he cut the metatarsal instead of the metatarpal?". Why? Because it's out of our realm of expertise and understanding. But for some reason everyone can do our job. That's fine... Strap on bullet resistant gear, strap on your battle dress uniform , get your tac belt and weapons out of the locker, and make sure you kiss your kids goodbye because you may not come home tomorrow morning. This job isn't fun and games, it's life and death. When you walk in our shoes then you can sit and preach and make our already difficult jobs worse.
    USMS Region 3
    Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
    Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
    Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
    BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
    Medical:2/15/10
    MedicalReview: 4/15/10
    FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
    Drug: 6/5/10
    Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
    Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
    Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
    Written: 12/27/10
    NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
    To:
    Medical:

An open letter to a liberal talk show host lol. I'd like to see the liberal, well, anything that ever gave law enforcement the benefit of the doubt about anything.

That being said, you can't expect the public (including liberal comedy show hosts) to know much of anything about what Law Enforcement is or does. Sure, we can shake our heads and wonder why people aren't smart enough to realize that they shouldn't be judging 800,000 cops without walking a single inch (let alone mile) in our shoes, but at the end of the day, that's just how people are. It's never going to change.

I've learned not to care about what the public thinks, I just do my job the best I can within the law and then go home and enjoy life.
    ~Gun control has always been about punishing the people that didn't shoot anyone.

Comment

I had this exact conversation with my wife last night!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnersmate323 View Post
        I had this exact conversation with my wife last night!
        About the Stewart comments or was she playing devils advocate?
        USMS Region 3
        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
        Medical:2/15/10
        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
        Drug: 6/5/10
        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
        Written: 12/27/10
        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
        To:
        Medical:

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
          We do not see general members of the public second guessing the actions of airline pilots " he should have deployed the gear at this altitude not that", nor do we second guess ER docs " why did he cut the metatarsal instead of the metatarpal?". Why? Because it's out of our realm of expertise and understanding. But for some reason everyone can do our job.
          There is a perception of familiarity with the police profession, which does not exist with regard to medicine and aviation professions. All three professions are depicted in movies and other popular culture, but I think depictions of police work are more frequent and more detailed. Also, some of the themes of police work are universally familiar from everybody's childhood: rules and their enforcement, penalties for breaking rules, authority figures, questions like " did you take money out of my wallet".
          https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

Let me know if he responds.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
              Let me know if he responds.
              I wouldn't hold my breath on that......

than again, Jon Stewart will probably say you choked.

Comment

Then they could say that he killed me, and we could all protest.

Comment

I try my absolute best to not let the murmurs of the ignorant affect me when it comes to law enforcement. And by all means, Jon Stewart, is 100% ignorant to the topic. The most dangerous thing Jon Stewart does in any given day is have his chauffeur drive him around town. He's never served his country, or his fellow man, in any way, shape, or form. Asking for his opinion on "serving," is like asking a 5 year old about nuclear physics.

Comment

It's trendy for celebrities and sports players to get involved with this "movement" of anti-cop and misinformed detail. Seriously....let's take a look.

Treyvon Martin - in support, wear hoodies, carry skittles and drink ice tea.

Michael Brown - Hold your hands up and say "don't shoot" -

Eric Garner - "I can't breathe" and wear t-shirts with that saying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We look at the events of the Sgt. Crowley event or what we call the "Beer Summit." Black professor trying to break into his own home, police respond because of 9-11 call - White cop shows up, instant racism. President responds - I know this professor, he is a friend of mine. Takes sides Immediately WITHOUT KNOWING THE FACTS.

Treyvon Martin - Media immediately puts up photo of the 17 year old boy in an innocent pose - George Zimmerman in DOC orange shirt he wore. President responds, "that could've been my son." Hispanic who looks white gets into struggle with black kid and shoots him dead. Racism.

Michael Brown - Despite any information of what really happened and what ever happened to that kid who was with Michael Brown and was the first one who started the lies about the hands up ordeal - you know, the thug kid named Dorian Johnson. Oh that's right...the white cop is instantly marred as a racist black killing machine. Eric Holder - the highest position for law enforcement apparently starts talking to the family about how he knows what it's like...not easy being a black kid growing up crap. Seriously? The Mayor, the Governor, all these other people throwing the officer down. Racism. St. Louis Rams running out of the tunnel with their arms up in the air - despite the facts...doesn't matter. Grand Jury is rigged.

Eric Garner - overweight fat black guy struggles with white cop, despite a black female supervisor on hand - nevertheless - racism. Everyone is "weighing in" on this one...and now you have ill informed black athletes like Lebron james and company wearing the "I can't breath" t-shirts. It's no wonder, they have no brain cells to disseminate what is truth and what is not. Btw: Grand Jury, once again...rigged.

Facts are rigged. Grand Jury is rigged. It's not cool to report the REAL FACTS that goes against the grain of:

- Possible Racism of whites hating on blacks
                    - blacks being mistreated by police ALL THE TIME
                    - black on black crime does not exist. And if it does, that's just part of the culture...moving on to the white cop who was defending his life and killed another UNARMED black man.
                    - It's not cool to report the history of the parents or peers of these so called innocent victim(s) and where were they throughout and the focus is, where are they now and somehow they appear to be more concerned with their kid more than they ever were in the first place.

There is a lot lacking in these communities and I fear, that one day......with all the upper echelon, top brass and everything above throwing all Law enforcement officers under the bus - a strike or something worse will appear. The safety of every officer is at stake and it's very trendy - like someone said before - before it was "I hate the police." than...f(*ck the police. Than, Kill the police."

Very scary times. If we cannot even get the support of our own kind that are on the very top to help support us, I feel - there is nothing else to defend when people are being brought up to the simple very ideal false pretense that cops ARE REALLY THAT RACIST and to hate them; this is not being corrected by parents or officials - but supported by them because personal accountability, proper parenting, facts and understanding how things work, education, the list goes on and on - are out the window. How about stop resisting? How about, knocking that attitude off in the first place won't get you into this trouble. How many Asians are up in arms in Asian communities within the U.S because of poor treatment by police. White Elephant in the f^cking room - and I'm sick of staring at it.

Comment

I say all of these idiots should protest "I can't breathe" by holding their breaths.

That's it...just hold their breaths.
                      Last edited by Rudy8116; 12-08-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                        I say all of these idiots should protest "I can't breathe" by holding their breaths.

That's it...just hold their breaths.
                        Lol. Couldn't have said it any much better.

Comment

I was watching the news recently, and they were interviewing some new police chief in NJ, in a location where I guess two different departments merged (county and local or local and state, I don't recall exactly). It was started becuase of claims of rampant racism in the departments, and in the time since the new agency was formed, crime has dropped (however much, again don't recall). And while they were discussing the "problem neighborhoods" I guess it never dawned on the reporter that NONE of the residents in the pictures (they showed like 5 or 6 as a representation of the areas being discussed) were white.

Now I ask you. If you are patrolling an area that is majority non-white, then it follows that most (if not all) of the people you will arrest are going to be non-white. How, exactly, is that racist?

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                            About the Stewart comments or was she playing devils advocate?
                            The asshat Stewart!

Comment

Thank you OP, for making this thread. I watched that episode....needless to say, I won't be watching any more.
                              REINSTATE THE TRIG
                              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                              Your logic defies logic
                              Originally posted by Rudy8116
                              Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                              Originally posted by Michigan
                              Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                              Originally posted by TheTick
                              A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                              Originally posted by TheTick
                              This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                              Originally posted by 02paul09
                              Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3649 users online. 281 members and 3368 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X