X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidalgo County TX drops DWI charge against whining drunk judge

I can't stand these stories...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ho-5932583.php

DWI charge against South Texas appeals judge who failed field sobriety test dismissed

SAN ANTONIO — A DWI case against a South Texas appeals judge who failed a field sobriety test in July was dismissed last month, the McAllen Monitor reported Wednesday.

Nora Longoria, a 13th Court of Appeals judge, was pulled over last July while going 69 mph in a 55 mph zone in the Rio Grande Valley city. Longoria, who failed a field sobriety test but refused a Breathalyzer, showed an officer her judicial badge and asked him to let her go home, the Express-News reported after the July arrest.

Hidalgo County Court at Law No. 8 Judge Rolando Cantu dismissed the case on Nov. 20, according to the Monitor, but the dismissal was not immediately available online.

A McAllen police officer said he saw Longoria driving a silver two-door Lexus at 69 mph in a 55-mph zone around 1:30 a.m. in July, according to the records. During the traffic stop, the officer noticed Longoria had slurred speech and smelled of alcohol and administered field sobriety tests, which she failed, the officer wrote.

"Please let me go home. I live a couple of miles away ... you are going to ruin my life. I worked hard for 25 years to be where I am today," Longoria told the arresting officers as they attempted to handcuff her, according to court documents obtained by the McAllen Monitor.

Longoria showed the officer her credentials, told him she was a judge and refused to be handcuffed until the officer threatened to charge her with resisting arrest, the report said.

"Once another police officer and a sergeant arrived at the scene, Longoria said she had been having dinner with friends and drank five beers with the last drink being three hours before she got behind the wheel, records show," the Monitor wrote.

Longoria, who refused a Breathalyzer, was charged with DWI, a class B misdemeanor, and posted a $2,000 bond and was released from jail around 10 a.m. the same day, according to the Corpus Christi-Caller Times.

Longoria, who was elected in 2012 as a justice of the 13th court of appeals where she presides over a 20-county area handling appeals in criminal and civil matters, according to the Monitor.

I doubt she will be much longer .

Comment

Now had it been Eva Longoria, well then,..........

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

They don't mention why it was dismissed. Funny if it was a cop they would be yelling about them getting jail time over this.

Comment

Police dashcam:

Last edited by Talal; 12-07-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Talal View Post
            Police dashcam...
            She certainly earned the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Talal View Post
              Police dashcam:

The video says that prosecutors didn't get the dash cam video. That explains why the charges were dropped.

Comment

Lazy prosecutors allow DUI's to get dismissed on technicalities all the time. Not having video doesn't meant it didn't happen. Put the officer on the stand and have him explain his PC for the arrest. Oh I forgot, a police officers word doesn't mean anything any more.

She refused the BA, let that be one of the prosecutors argument points. In my state, if you refused the BA, you loose your drivers license. Im going to take a wild guess and say It got dismissed because shes a judge and none of the prosecutors wanted to get her convicted.
                "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

It is quite interesting that a news organization is able to acquire the video, but the prosecutor wasn't.

...All that District Attorney Rene Guerra apparently had to go on was a video that McAllen, Texas, police made at the police station and that was deemed insufficient evidence to go forward. “When looking at the video it doesn’t sound to me like she had slurred speech,” Guerra told The Monitor.

Cops say they don’t understand why prosecutors didn’t have the dashcam video while preparing their case...
                  From: http://www.inquisitr.com/1659972/was...her-over-video

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
                  Lazy prosecutors allow DUI's to get dismissed on technicalities all the time. Not having video doesn't meant it didn't happen. Put the officer on the stand and have him explain his PC for the arrest. Oh I forgot, a police officers word doesn't mean anything any more...
                  Indeed, and it drives me nuts. I consider DUI to be the safety equivalent of waving a loaded gun around with your finger on the trigger. The penalties are already far too low. This idiot DA had evidence of her admitting to drinking five beers directly to the officer, the officer determining that she earned an arrest, the officer stating that she smelled of alcohol, and her refusal to submit to breath\blood testing. If that isn't enough for them to proceed...

The DA was already voted out earlier this year:

After 32 years in office, Guerra loses race for District Attorney
                  : http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...a4bcf6878.html

Here's the high note he went out one:

...when Rodriguez begins the job in January, some workers in the DA’s office will help him transition, Guerra said — but not him.

“No, because he says he already has the knowledge so he won’t need any mentoring,” Guerra said Monday.

Rodriguez was quick to try to bury the hatchet once it was clear he’d won.

“I would like to thank Mr. Guerra for the service that he’s given to the County of Hidalgo for 32 years,” he said.

But Guerra said he had no plans to reach out to his opponent.

“I don’t think I can honor him by giving him a call,” he said.
                  Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 12-08-2014, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Oh my. I was just mad about him not charging a judge for DUI.

He was voted out of office for refusing to prosecute a priest who the police say absolutely murdered a young woman named Irene Garza.

http://youtu.be/Zw8ssXb_P00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMWe45R4bXI

Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 12-08-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

In my humble experience, when someone says "I live just right over there" or "can I just call someone to pick me up", they are in fact intoxicated. It's terrible to see this woman get away with DWI. Hopefully it DOES affect her career somewhere down the road.

Comment

That is one of monumental judgement you will ever come across. I believe it is important to know that laws are same for everyone. One of my friends who is accountant with a DUI attorney Los Angeles told me about impact everyone will have of this judgment.

Comment

From the judgepedia site ... "The current base salary for an appeals court judge is $137,500." - "Party - Democrat"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3166 users online. 152 members and 3014 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X