Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sentenced to 1 year in jail.....to be served only on weekends?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sentenced to 1 year in jail.....to be served only on weekends?

Okay this is the first time I've heard of this. Any CO's here able to chime in? Is this actually a common sentence? What happens if they don't show up?

CHANDLER, Ariz. -

The word bizarre came up during the sentencing for Rosemary Vogel. Rosemary was at one time facing charges of trying to kill her husband, but he ended up being her most vocal supporter in court.

"Your honor, I'm so sorry, I have no recollection of any of it. I've always loved my husband and cared for him," said Rosemary.

But in January of last year, Chandler Police accused her of trying to kill her husband in a bizarre fashion.

They arrested the 66-year-old former nurse after she was caught putting fecal matter in her husband's IV as he recovered from surgery in the hospital.

"I love him so dearly, I can't imagine how I could possibly have harmed him," she said.

Vogel's husband Phillip became very ill but survived; he spoke in court to support his wife. He said leading up to the day in the hospital when she tampered with his IV his wife had psychological and emotional problems that he didn't see.

"That there was some psychological break that morning, it was totally out of character," said Phillip Vogel.

The judge agreed, saying it appeared Rosemary had a mental breakdown that day. He sentenced her to 1 year in jail, but she will only serve weekends in jail from Friday to Sunday.

The county prosecutor agreed with the sentence. "I no longer believe she was trying to kill him, I believe she was trying to debilitate him so she could take control of the relationship and care for him, unfortunately what she did almost killed him," said Prosecutor Blaine Gadow.

Rosemary will remain under psychological counseling.
    Source: http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/27...epts-plea-deal

This sounds like another case of the dreaded 'Affluenza'.

Comment

Actually, serving time that way is not uncommon, especially for a primary earner.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

If they dont show up a warrant will be issued for their arrest and they will be back before the judge and it wont be weekends the next time.

Comment

What the above two posters said.

Comment

We have it all the time... but not usually that long. Here they have to serve the correct number of days actually IN the jail, so 30 days in the county jail served as 3-day weekends takes 10 weeks.

365 days would take over 2 years and 3 months...

Better solution would be work release.

What happens if they don't show up?
            A warrant is issued. It's not like they don't know where she lives.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-04-2014, 08:39 PM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              We have it all the time... but not usually that long. Here they have to serve the correct number of days actually IN the jail, so 30 days in the county jail served as 3-day weekends takes 10 weeks.

365 days would take over 2 years and 3 months...

Better solution would be work release.

A warrant is issued. It's not like they don't know where she lives.
              yea, I have never heard of a sentence THAT LONG being served on weekends

Weekend sentences are common & we allow them all the time. The cost per day for the prisoner is almost double what we charge for doing the whole sentence or about 1/3 more than what we charge for Work Release
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I never worked in a jail, but plenty of my co workers are former corrections officers. While, like the others, I've never heard of a sentence that long being carried out only on weekends, the practice as a whole is so common they have a term for the ones who serve their time that way: "Weekenders."

Comment

So, if you want to be criminal, just make sure you're employed.

No wonder people are so willing to commit so much crime in this country...

Comment

As CCCSD wrote, not an uncommon sentence in NYC and the suburbs. Used mostly for lower level, non-violent crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                      So, if you want to be criminal, just make sure you're employed.

No wonder people are so willing to commit so much crime in this country...
                      Serving EVERY weekend in jail for 2.5 years isn't that easy. That shiite would get old FAST.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

But are not 99.9% of everyone arrested self employed ? They are here ,i cant figure out how we have a single tree left as almost all of them are tree trimmers they claim.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                          Serving EVERY weekend in jail for 2.5 years isn't that easy. That shiite would get old FAST.
                          Spending every day in prison for 10 years would get older faster, which is what this psychotic wench deserves. Her attorney may have convinced the DA to lay down, but I'm not buying it. Crap in an IV? Are you kidding me? And, of course, no acceptance of responsibility for her actions. I sure don't want her walking freely among the public for those other days of the week.
                          Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 12-05-2014, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Spending every day in prison for 10 years would get older faster,
                            That's a separate issue for the DA and judge.

Comment

It's what the Judge found as a sentence, not what you want.
                              Friday night check in, Sunday afternoon release. Easy time.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3357 users online. 164 members and 3193 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X