300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood working

Ok, Ok. I said I was going to get a web site going and post some pics, yadda yadda yadda. Well, I haven't, but, I did post this one through another site.

It is nowhere near my best work and was actually my first non-scroll saw project. The reason this picture is posted is the story behind it. It was made for my father from a dead tree that blew down across his driveway in a wind storm. That made it kind of extra special for me.

It's poplar which is a hard wood to try to finish, but it came out ok after a couple of tries. Wish I could re-make it knowing what I know now but heh, Dad thinks it's the greratest thing since sliced bread so that's all that really matters.

Still thinking about working on that web site.

shelf clock

Nice looking clock man!

Am I sensing a retirement income in the making?

Comment

Originally posted by SpecOpsWarrior:

Am I sensing a retirement income in the making?
      That is the hope. If I could match my current salary doing it now I would quit tomorrow. Sandy Valley is hardly a thriving business capital though, and I refuse to move back to a city.

We are actually making a fair second income of it right now. I cut out a miniature slab clock on a hunk of Oak one day just to see what it would look like. Boring pretty much described it. I was going to chuck it into the trash and my wife said to just set it on her dresser and let her play with it.

About a week later I come home from work one morning and it is sitting on the front table with signs and arrows pointing at it telling me to look. She had stained it a golden oak, and then painted a floral vine pattern on the face matching the contours. It was beautiful. We then made one out of Cherry and it made the first one look dull. We now sell them at Craft Malls/Fairs around the area.

Best part is, Sherri feels like she is "contributing" something to the family again. Like taking care of this gaggle of kids wasn't enough but she didn't see it that way.

I will throw a picture of one of them up when I get a chance someday too if the powers that be realize I'm doing it to brag on the wife, not to be commercial.

HINT HINT: SOMEONE LET ME NOW IF THAT IS OK.

I'm also currently working on a Cherry corner hutch and a 1800s Ogee wall clock but I only get to work on them as time allows. The miniatures and being "The Dad"/resident honey doer takes up most of the free time. Such is the life of Married Man.

Comment

The clock is beautiful, DR. As a parent, I would be very proud also.
        When our son was in 7th grade, his woodworking teacher had them all making mantle clocks. This was a "big" secret. But, I always knew when my son would come home with it to have our neighbor help him with it. He'd open the door and tell me I couldn't look then, EVERY SINGLE TIME, the back of the clock would fall off when he walked in the door. lol But, it sits proudly on our mantle, truly a family heirloom.
        It was with much chagrin later we found out this woodworking teacher had been arrested. He had overcharged all the parents for the clock makings and was happily smoking the marijuana he bought with the overcharge in his woodworking shop when they caught him. lol
        The sad thing is I think my son could have done a decent job at woodworking had he had a decent teacher. The next one he had had a violent temper. My son called my husband at home one day and I saw my husband fly out of the house. The teacher had gotten mad at my son because of the poor job he had done on a stool he was making, threw the stool across the room, breaking it and called my son an a******.
        Yes, he WAS fired.
        But, now, with his seizures, woodworking would be too dangerous for him.
        I'm glad to hear your wife is enjoying what she is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat:

I will throw a picture of one of them up when I get a chance someday too if the powers that be realize I'm doing it to brag on the wife, not to be commercial.

HINT HINT: SOMEONE LET ME NOW IF THAT IS OK.
          ABSOLUTELY OK! If anybody DOES have a problem with it, I'll "take the heat" for it.

I WANNA SEE!
          6P1 (retired)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4618 users online. 269 members and 4349 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X