Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Media Accountability:When does freedom of the press become criminal negligence?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JasperST
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve856
    Media companies do not exist to report the news. Media companies exist to make money for their owners. Just like any other business.

Media companies report and analyze the news in a way that provides the type of content that attracts viewer, which attracts advertisers, which increases their revenue.
    You mean all the commercials are for commercial purposes? Apart from the obvious, what you are omitting is that opinions CAN and ARE shaped by media. It isn't just the giving people what they want scenario, but it's getting them on board with your point of view. Open objective reporting would absolutely attract viewers, people believe media is biased, which it is, so there is a market for honest trustworthy reporting. Any one of them would INCREASE their market share but money is secondary, shaping the world comes first. It's like a religion for today's journalists.

Leave a comment:

• Seventy2002
    replied
    Originally posted by Ink Stained Wretch View Post
    You have people who come into the business, mine being print, ergo the "Ink-Stained" handle, who either want to be the reincarnation of William Faulkner, or who want to change the world.
    I scrubbed off the ink stains nearly 40 years ago when I transitioned from print journalism to law enforcement. A few years after that I saw the emergence of what I called post-Watergate hotshots, people who got into journalism because they saw "All The President's Men." Maybe they thought a journalism degree would make them look like Robert Redford.

Leave a comment:

• Ink Stained Wretch
    replied
    Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
    24-hour news dates back to the mid-'60's when the all-news radio format debuted. One station had a slogan, "You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world". That was actually about as much news content as Walter Cronkite gave us when commercials were subtracted. When CNN started they ran on a 30-minute cycle, pretty much the same as Walter Cronkite, and would rinse and repeat around the clock.
    I have chronic insomnia, I'm a really light sleeper. For a lot of years, until I got married and she put the kibosh on it, I used to keep a radio by my bed all night long tuned to WBBM in Chicago, which I could pick up at night. I've tried to listen to it a bit since online, and it's gotten about like all the others. But in it's day, it was a great all-news station that wasn't repetitive and gave you good content, and when I'd wake up five or six times I night, I'd hear what was going in the world and I could come to work prepared. They did have commentary and opinion, but it was presented as being commentary and opinion, as it should be.

Well, there is, but who wants to hear about a house fire in Helsinki or the score of a soccer game in Uruguay?
    Yep.

True. I though the original CNN was great, now matter what time I got off shift, I could get my news fix. Then they started hiring "personalities" instead of journalists and pretty soon they were spending more time talking about the news than reporting it. There was no clear delineation between fact and opinion.

I shut the TV off nearly 25 years ago and haven't regretted it.
    I've seen it happen so many times. You have people who come into the business, mine being print, ergo the "Ink-Stained" handle, who either want to be the reincarnation of William Faulkner, or who want to change the world. Reporting hard news isn't very sexy, but it's the thing I absolutely love doing. I think I said in one of my first posts here, I see my place as being the initial chronicle of history, wherever it goes, no other agenda whatsoever. I'm a throwback, I'm a maverick and I understand that I'm a man out of place given the way things are now.

Leave a comment:

• Ink Stained Wretch
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve856
    Media companies do not exist to report the news. Media companies exist to make money for their owners. Just like any other business.

Media companies report and analyze the news in a way that provides the type of content that attracts viewer, which attracts advertisers, which increases their revenue.
    I don't know if you smoke cigars, but somebody ought to give you one, because you get the situation.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy8116
    replied
    Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
    It's about keeping our country divided. Unfortunately, there are many powerful people/organizations who make money/careers off of hate.

Stay safe.
    Yep, every time I go to CNN.com, they have a story on "Black America" or "Being Black in America". All the media wants to do is create the divide.

They do report the news, but it's what they want us to hear, then they tell us how to feel about what they just allowed us to see/hear.

Leave a comment:

• Seventy2002
    replied
    Originally posted by NextofKin View Post
    CNN is now comparing ... Tell me that's not instigating and incitement.
    I say I stopped watching CNN 25 years ago and you want my opinion on what they're doing now? I may qualify as an expert for TV purposes, but that won't fly here.

According to market research, the CNN viewers are "upscale"
    54.6% are white collar, professional, managers
    45.4% have 4+ years of college
    Their median household income is $85,146
    62.3% own their home

Yeah, there probably is "instigating and incitement" going on but through different media channels. The CNN demographic may write letters to the editor and/or link to articles on FB, but I doubt they're the ones on the street.

Leave a comment:

• Loren Pechtel
    replied
    24-hour news dates back to the mid-'60's when the all-news radio format debuted. One station had a slogan, "You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world". That was actually about as much news content as Walter Cronkite gave us when commercials were subtracted. When CNN started they ran on a 30-minute cycle, pretty much the same as Walter Cronkite, and would rinse and repeat around the clock.
    And at first I liked it. You could get the news whenever you wanted it, you didn't have to wait for when the news aired. It's just that wasn't good at selling ads because the viewership of any given segment was low.

Leave a comment:

• Loren Pechtel
    replied
    I don't work in TV but I absolutely can tell you what's going on there.

They created these 24-hour news networks, but unless there's been a 9-11 or an assassination, there normally aren't 24 hours of news in an average day.

So they stir up caca to keep people watching.
    Yup. It's just they stir the type of caca their target demographics will watch.

And even if there has been an assassination or the like it's still unlikely there are 24 hours of news. They'll just keep going over whatever facts they have, trying to present them in new ways to make people keep watching.

Leave a comment:

• Loren Pechtel
    replied
    Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post
    The media are simply doing their job as far as any politician with a D is concerned. Any R's are too scared to confront the media for fear of being called names.

It's simple really.
    I disagree.

The news media--including those from the right--are about attracting eyeballs and selling ads to those eyeballs.

They are going to report things in a way that will make the demographic they target want to watch their news. To do requires that they stand above their competition--which in effect means they must exaggerate the news.

Fox targets the conservatives. CNN targets the liberals. Most news sources tilt towards the Muslims/Arabs vs the Jews/Israel because the latter are about 100x as numerous.

Leave a comment:

• NextofKin
    replied

Well, there is, but who wants to hear about a house fire in Helsinki or the score of a soccer game in Uruguay?

True. I though the original CNN was great, now matter what time I got off shift, I could get my news fix. Then they started hiring "personalities" instead of journalists and pretty soon they were spending more time talking about the news than reporting it. There was no clear delineation between fact and opinion.

CNN is now comparing the Rodney king beating video to the Eric Garner chokehold video talking to "experts" about similarities(there are no similarities)

Tell me that's not instigating and incitement.

Leave a comment:

• Seventy2002
    replied
    They created these 24-hour news networks,

there normally aren't 24 hours of news in an average day.

Leave a comment:

• NextofKin
    replied
    Originally posted by JasperST View Post
    I couldn't even watch CBS this morning. It was almost non stop pro Gardner garbage. Just like with Brown. Many journalists today want to change the world, not just report the news. They've seen the power video has on people and how they can influence public opinion and it's gotten to their heads. I think they are determined to undermine law enforcement and make cops the bad guys because it rubs their progressive sensibilities the wrong way.
    Yep,this is what the media is doing.

Its like if I ran into a Jewish synagogue and started talking about Jewish settlers killed by Palestinian extremists on the West Bank and then conveniently pointed out that there is an Arab run store only 2 blockd down the street and I kept doing it over and over day after day.........what do you think is going to happen?

Now they are back on the Cleaveland incident questioning the tactics of the officers who shot the young boy and like the Garner video they are showing this Cleavland video nonstop.

Now I am not in any way shape or form justifying the shooting(although I dont see where I would have done any different accept maybe not pull right up on the person suspected of having a gun) it was a terrible tragedy.But thats not the point the point is the media steadily stirring the pot instead of moving on to other stories.

They make local news national while choosing to look over many national issues that in nature affect us all.

Leave a comment:

• JasperST
    replied
    I couldn't even watch CBS this morning. It was almost non stop pro Gardner garbage. Just like with Brown. Many journalists today want to change the world, not just report the news. They've seen the power video has on people and how they can influence public opinion and it's gotten to their heads. I think they are determined to undermine law enforcement and make cops the bad guys because it rubs their progressive sensibilities the wrong way.

Leave a comment:

• Ink Stained Wretch
    replied
    I don't work in TV but I absolutely can tell you what's going on there.

They created these 24-hour news networks, but unless there's been a 9-11 or an assassination, there normally aren't 24 hours of news in an average day.

Leave a comment:

• Country_Jim
    replied
    It's about keeping our country divided. Unfortunately, there are many powerful people/organizations who make money/careers off of hate.

Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3518 users online. 236 members and 3282 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X