Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Media Accountability:When does freedom of the press become criminal negligence?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that the "reverend" Al (and others like him) have forgotten this appropriate Bible verse:

"You shall not go about as a talebearer among your people; nor shall you take a stand against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord" - Lev. 19:16
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

OK, I'll keep it simple, or at least try to. NBC= Nonsense , Bull****,&Crap. MSNBC=More Nonsense, Bull****&Crap. CNN=Communist News Network. CBS= Communist Broadcasting System. NBC starts each weekday with the "Stick & Slick Show, aka Today starring "Stick" aka Savanah Guthrie, and "Slick" aka Matt Lauer.

Oh, and let's not forget that CNN was started by Ted Turner, who was once married to that great American and patriot, Jane Fonda.

Comment

Media can report and say whatever they want. It is up to us to recognize the BS. They are selling something. Who says we have to automatically buy it? Freedom of the press is important. If media is muzzled, how can we know whether or not they are FOS?

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
          Media can report and say whatever they want. It is up to us to recognize the BS. They are selling something. Who says we have to automatically buy it? Freedom of the press is important. If media is muzzled, how can we know whether or not they are FOS?
          If you tell people long enough that horse crap is peanut butter, eventually they'll eat it.
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

The news is more tabloid than anything else, these days. It's easy to make accusations and difficult to defend against. If a cop is white and the perp is black, racism is automatically assumed, unless proven otherwise, which is almost impossible. Division and strife is good for business, damn the consequences. But it's the dipsticks that gobble it up that are the real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshire ripoff
              Exactly.the cop killer said in his instagram that he was seeking revenge for the deaths of Mike Brown and Eric Garner.How would he have known about those killings and why would he have felt so strongly about avenging the deaths of two men he didnt even know if it hadnt been for the way the ******* media put a spin on the stories to demonize police?
              This and the fact that elected leaders in congress and the NYC council stood in their chambers and chanted "Hands up Don't Shoot" and "I can't Breathe". They're willing to condemn Police Officers for turning their backs on de Blasio but not the politicians antics.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                This and the fact that elected leaders in congress and the NYC council stood in their chambers and chanted "Hands up Don't Shoot" and "I can't Breathe". They're willing to condemn Police Officers for turning their backs on de Blasio but not the politicians antics.

LoL I know what de Blasio's problem is.....but I'll keep that to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                  Political grandstanding at its finest
                  It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
                    Political grandstanding at its finest
                    Yet not condemned in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                      May I propose a couple other explanations?

Broadcasters are licensed by the FCC and are required to operate in "the public interest". They meet the "public interest" requirement by, among other things, broadcasting news and opinion. If the news programming makes money, well and good but nobody pretends that's where the profit is.

Both a CNN and MSNBC are units of large conglomerates. Some years ago, an acquaintance of mine was the comptroller of a paper mill owned by a large conglomerate. The mill had lost money for years and that was just fine, he told me, large conglomerates need a few money-losing subsidiaries for tax purposes.
                      I have to respectfully disagree with you on a number of counts, 2002. When you say "no one pretends that's where the profit is," Fox Cable News IS a profit center for Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. They've also built the largest audience share.

When you talk about lawyers saying businesses need a few money-losing subsidiaries, that's something a lawyer would say tongue and cheek; it's always better to make profit then for an element to be in the red. But if you're going to have a subsidiary be in the red, tax incentives do lessen the blow.

Another point is that no other businesses get that special Constitutional treatment that media companies get, so I don't think a paper mill is comparable to an entity with the power to propagandize.

As for news and opinion, old school liberal journalists used to at least make sure the audience knew which portion was news and which was opinion. Today's journalists just blend the two together.
                      Last edited by EmmaPeel; 12-28-2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
                        No one's asking them to be muzzled. Not in the least. We're asking for accountability. And we're asking for them to admit when they're really just an extension of a political party....and to be honest, they all are. On all sides.

Comment

If media is muzzled, how can we know whether or not they are FOS?
                          No one is suggesting they be gagged.

The classic example is yelling fire in a theater.

No one suggests we cut out people's tongue so they CAN'T yell fire... we merely punish after the fact those who do so without cause.

Inciting a riot is inciting a riot, whether you're on a soap box or a TV screen.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                            No one is suggesting they be gagged.

The classic example is yelling fire in a theater.

No one suggests we cut out people's tongue so they CAN'T yell fire... we merely punish after the fact those who do so without cause.

Inciting a riot is inciting a riot, whether you're on a soap box or a TV screen.
                            What ever happened to the relative of Michael Brown who yelled "Burn it down" Just before they burned down businesses in Ferguson?

Comment

I can't even imagine being able to function as a police officer if I watched any amount of "news". It doesn't MATTER which station you pick from, they ARE ALL marching to the same beat just different cadence. We have watched the IRS tap dance around issues by pleading the 5th. Watched people like Sharyl Atkinson railroaded because she asked too many questions about Fast and Furious and Benghazi. Watched Michael Hastings car explode like a tomahawk missile after writing a scathing article about a deserter for which this administration traded 5 high level Taliban for. We've watched good people exploited for political gains. These are big jobs, you need some big bats to take care of this type stuff. Mass media held accountable, why no, like the others they've probably gotten more $$$ incentives and "perks".

The whole time the media moguls are laughing at Americans; laughing at our complete willingness to go with the herd, never speak up and let the sheepdogs fall like flies. At some point either the good people will stand up and do something or they will become miserable little rats scurrying from one hole to another avoiding the next big threat to their miserable existence. JMHO.

Comment

Since we're on the topic of media coverage of police incidents, and at the risk of hijacking the thread, I have seen a lot of police-related stories on libertarian websites which lead the readers to believe that the cops in question used force merely because they were p****d off that their orders were not being obeyed. Such stories suggest that LEOs routinely "go ballistic" on people for relatively minor offenses.

But that's too simple and predictable of an explanation. Most (if not all) police departments and agencies have strict guidelines as to when, where and what types of force may be used to gain compliance.

A typical cop is not like some schoolyard bully who will start wailing on you just because you refuse to give him/her your lunch money. But most of the mainstream media loves that kind of stuff.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2682 users online. 146 members and 2536 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X