Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Media Accountability:When does freedom of the press become criminal negligence?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Accountability:When does freedom of the press become criminal negligence?

I saw this on Facebook status update today and it made me ponder:

"You know people should miss the days of Walter Cronkite when the news networks reported the news.Now they just invent the news.They make typical stories sensational,create controversy out of care free,complicate the commonplace,and ab-normalize the perfectly normal.Just like everything else these days,its about quantity not quality,ratings not reality.After all its just business right?But when does "exaggerate much?" become too much?

News might as well stand for Nothing Except Worthless Sh** these days.

It might as well be part of Hollywood then a Constitutional Right under the 1st Amendment.

You stand a better chance of seeing more substance from picking up a copy of National Enquirer then flipping on CNN.

I personally feel that its time for someone to call these mockeries of the U.S. constitution out on there horse sh** because they know damn well what they are doing.No one likes boring,so they get the masses stirred up over nothing special because they figure its better than something routine.

Was chasing Princess Diana to her death for a couple pictures not enough?Was fueling weak minded morons to burn down a 3rd of Los Angeles not enough?Was inspiring one heavily armed lunatic after another to literally shoot for his 15 minutes of fame not enough?Can these people that dare to call themselves reporters really get away with instigating mass chaos and bloodshed simply because they have a badge that reads "Press"?
    I think the irony of this FB poster referring to the news media as Hollywood Entertainment now is that events like what has unfolded in Ferguson over the past several months is not a movie set,this is real.Real people,real lives,real property damage,real risk.I honestly dont know if its the way things are being reported now or the length of time they are being reported that makes the so called new media(especially cable news) so venomous but I do know that while no one will say it and while they can continue to hide behind being journalists they have alot more responsibility then they are held to task for.

You know its funny yesterday on CNN they were pushing the issue of if Michael Browns stepfather should be arrested for inciting violence last week because I know they only want him arrested(even though it may be justified) so people can get upset and riot again.

And did anyone catch the title of CNN TV and .com the other day.........

"Is Cleavland the next Ferguson?" (in reference to the 12 year old boy shot to death by police while weilding a air soft pistol)

What the HELL are they talking about???

Why would they even inquire on such a thing?

What they are doing is trying to piggy back off their handy work in Ferguson and create another inferno while things are still simmering and smoldering.

Notice how since yesterday they are back on the Eric Garner story,talking about the Grand Jury decision being close and replaying the video of his death over and over and over again?They did the same thing with the Rodney King video so many years ago.They understand how the human mind works.Off the back drop of massive protests in new York and the Grand Jury failing to indict Officer Wilson the chances of getting people ramped and stirred up for another GJ decision that will likely go in the LEO's favor is high.

As the FB poster asked...........can the media really just get by by saying "We are Press"?

Make no mistake....NOONE except the perps themselves is at bigger fault for what has happened in Ferguson and even before Ferguson than the News media.

I know as experienced LEO's you already know the owners of these networks will never be prosecuted and are unlikely to be sued or government regulated but I just wanted to hear your thoughts on what you think should happen over the course of maybe the next few years with Opportunist,Profiteering Instigators that dare to call themselves journalists.
    Last edited by NextofKin; 12-03-2014, 03:09 PM.

The media are simply doing their job as far as any politician with a D is concerned. Any R's are too scared to confront the media for fear of being called names.

It's simple really.

Comment

Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post
      The media are simply doing their job as far as any politician with a D is concerned. Any R's are too scared to confront the media for fear of being called names.

It's simple really.
      I disagree for some networks like CNN who is obviously an irritant to ANY situation.

Now they are trying to turn the Eric Garner case into the next Ferguson

Comment

It's about keeping our country divided. Unfortunately, there are many powerful people/organizations who make money/careers off of hate.

Stay safe.

Comment

I don't work in TV but I absolutely can tell you what's going on there.

They created these 24-hour news networks, but unless there's been a 9-11 or an assassination, there normally aren't 24 hours of news in an average day.

So they stir up caca to keep people watching.

Comment

I couldn't even watch CBS this morning. It was almost non stop pro Gardner garbage. Just like with Brown. Many journalists today want to change the world, not just report the news. They've seen the power video has on people and how they can influence public opinion and it's gotten to their heads. I think they are determined to undermine law enforcement and make cops the bad guys because it rubs their progressive sensibilities the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
              I couldn't even watch CBS this morning. It was almost non stop pro Gardner garbage. Just like with Brown. Many journalists today want to change the world, not just report the news. They've seen the power video has on people and how they can influence public opinion and it's gotten to their heads. I think they are determined to undermine law enforcement and make cops the bad guys because it rubs their progressive sensibilities the wrong way.
              Yep,this is what the media is doing.

Its like if I ran into a Jewish synagogue and started talking about Jewish settlers killed by Palestinian extremists on the West Bank and then conveniently pointed out that there is an Arab run store only 2 blockd down the street and I kept doing it over and over day after day.........what do you think is going to happen?

Now they are back on the Cleaveland incident questioning the tactics of the officers who shot the young boy and like the Garner video they are showing this Cleavland video nonstop.

Now I am not in any way shape or form justifying the shooting(although I dont see where I would have done any different accept maybe not pull right up on the person suspected of having a gun) it was a terrible tragedy.But thats not the point the point is the media steadily stirring the pot instead of moving on to other stories.

They make local news national while choosing to look over many national issues that in nature affect us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ink Stained Wretch View Post
                They created these 24-hour news networks,
                24-hour news dates back to the mid-'60's when the all-news radio format debuted. One station had a slogan, "You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world". That was actually about as much news content as Walter Cronkite gave us when commercials were subtracted. When CNN started they ran on a 30-minute cycle, pretty much the same as Walter Cronkite, and would rinse and repeat around the clock.

there normally aren't 24 hours of news in an average day.
                Well, there is, but who wants to hear about a house fire in Helsinki or the score of a soccer game in Uruguay?

True. I though the original CNN was great, now matter what time I got off shift, I could get my news fix. Then they started hiring "personalities" instead of journalists and pretty soon they were spending more time talking about the news than reporting it. There was no clear delineation between fact and opinion.

I shut the TV off nearly 25 years ago and haven't regretted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                  24-hour news dates back to the mid-'60's when the all-news radio format debuted. One station had a slogan, "You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world". That was actually about as much news content as Walter Cronkite gave us when commercials were subtracted. When CNN started they ran on a 30-minute cycle, pretty much the same as Walter Cronkite, and would rinse and repeat around the clock.

Well, there is, but who wants to hear about a house fire in Helsinki or the score of a soccer game in Uruguay?

True. I though the original CNN was great, now matter what time I got off shift, I could get my news fix. Then they started hiring "personalities" instead of journalists and pretty soon they were spending more time talking about the news than reporting it. There was no clear delineation between fact and opinion.

I shut the TV off nearly 25 years ago and haven't regretted it.
                  CNN is now comparing the Rodney king beating video to the Eric Garner chokehold video talking to "experts" about similarities(there are no similarities)

Tell me that's not instigating and incitement.

Comment

Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post

It's simple really.
                    I disagree.

The news media--including those from the right--are about attracting eyeballs and selling ads to those eyeballs.

They are going to report things in a way that will make the demographic they target want to watch their news. To do requires that they stand above their competition--which in effect means they must exaggerate the news.

Fox targets the conservatives. CNN targets the liberals. Most news sources tilt towards the Muslims/Arabs vs the Jews/Israel because the latter are about 100x as numerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ink Stained Wretch View Post
                      I don't work in TV but I absolutely can tell you what's going on there.

They created these 24-hour news networks, but unless there's been a 9-11 or an assassination, there normally aren't 24 hours of news in an average day.

Yup. It's just they stir the type of caca their target demographics will watch.

And even if there has been an assassination or the like it's still unlikely there are 24 hours of news. They'll just keep going over whatever facts they have, trying to present them in new ways to make people keep watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                        And at first I liked it. You could get the news whenever you wanted it, you didn't have to wait for when the news aired. It's just that wasn't good at selling ads because the viewership of any given segment was low.

Comment

Originally posted by NextofKin View Post
                          CNN is now comparing ... Tell me that's not instigating and incitement.
                          I say I stopped watching CNN 25 years ago and you want my opinion on what they're doing now? I may qualify as an expert for TV purposes, but that won't fly here.

According to market research, the CNN viewers are "upscale"
                          54.6% are white collar, professional, managers
                          45.4% have 4+ years of college
                          Their median household income is $85,146
                          62.3% own their home

Yeah, there probably is "instigating and incitement" going on but through different media channels. The CNN demographic may write letters to the editor and/or link to articles on FB, but I doubt they're the ones on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                            It's about keeping our country divided. Unfortunately, there are many powerful people/organizations who make money/careers off of hate.

Stay safe.
                            Yep, every time I go to CNN.com, they have a story on "Black America" or "Being Black in America". All the media wants to do is create the divide.

They do report the news, but it's what they want us to hear, then they tell us how to feel about what they just allowed us to see/hear.
                            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve856
                              Media companies do not exist to report the news. Media companies exist to make money for their owners. Just like any other business.

Media companies report and analyze the news in a way that provides the type of content that attracts viewer, which attracts advertisers, which increases their revenue.
                              I don't know if you smoke cigars, but somebody ought to give you one, because you get the situation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5944 users online. 341 members and 5603 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X