300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body-Cameras....

Well, in this growing age (which I'm growing very fearful of)...it seems like whatever you do, you will be scrutinized no matter what you do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for accomplishing goals along with a team, I DO have a problem with micro-managing which goes absolutely no where. People never change, they only grow older is my motto.

With this oncoming implementation of body-cameras, I am fearful if I'm to join Law Enforcement that I will be forever micro-managed by superiors and other officers IF they have access to these cameras since apparently dash-cams and investigation teams aren't good enough for the public.

In states where body-cameras are already implemented on on-duty LEOs, would you be able to explain if officers are constantly scrutinized with these body-cameras? "You shouldn't have been standing there" "Why did you apprehend him first?" "Are you looking to get fired?" Inane bull**** which only impedes on an officer's mental stability.

2 sides to every story! and I want to make sure I am able to tell my side. There will always be bosses that micro manage cameras or not, I don't know to many supervisors that have enough time to review 10 hrs of video per officer per shift so not to worried about that. more than likely if you are involved in something major someone is going to have a camera on you, So might as well have my own going also.

Comment

More than just two sides. The body worn camera only shows one single perspective. More than once another BWC caught a better angle of the event. Most often (and unfortunately this has gotten zero press) BWCs vindicate an officer and prove the complainant is lying. The notion that this reduces complaints because officers are cautious of using force is a fallacy. It reduces complaints because dip****s know they are being filmed and can't lie and file false charges without being caught.

If you are scared of being recorded don't bother coming into this field. You will be seconded guessed and analyzed by people you have not and will never meet. The oxygen thieves on both sides of the MSM will endless debate your actions: 1) as if they were you 2) as if they know you 3) as if they were there. Get used it to. Get over it.

If you know your job and can articulate it, the camera is your friend. They can't touch you then and all they can do waste time arguing about it on TV and in pointless opinion pieces linked to Facebook and other social media.
      semper destravit

Comment

So what happens during bathroom breaks? Better wash those hands!

Comment

All for them, as long as Jessie, Al, Holder and Slap Dick have to wear one.

Comment

Every officer that has been on the job more than 5 minutes already knows this --- you are already being recorded. Might as well have your side told, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnersmate323 View Post
              2 sides to every story! and I want to make sure I am able to tell my side. There will always be bosses that micro manage cameras or not, I don't know to many supervisors that have enough time to review 10 hrs of video per officer per shift so not to worried about that. more than likely if you are involved in something major someone is going to have a camera on you, So might as well have my own going also.
              Exactly. To the OP if you don't want to be micro managed you might want to think about another career as this is the way this job is going. As long as you think before you do things and thoroughly know your PD's policy, you'll be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                Every officer that has been on the job more than 5 minutes already knows this --- you are already being recorded. Might as well have your side told, too.
                I fought cameras tooth and nail when we had use of force incidents in the prison . Couldn't see how it would help anything-------

First thing I noticed was the professionalism of the staff involved in the UOF incidents INCREASED greatly

Second thing I noticed was the inmates actually "played to' the camera----making them look a lot worse

Third thing I noticed was after a bit of time and more and more incidents ----Inmates saw the camera, saw the extra officers that were going to use the force----and started to give up more. They knew everything was on tape and would be viewed by the person hearing the case.

Then I had an incident where I was in charge of the team during a UOF incident which resulted in the death of a prisoner.

THAT is when I became a REAL believer-----------------as the video exonerated me and my team as the cause of the inmates death.

A couple years later I was in a position where I RE- WROTE the policy regarding video taping of incidents
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I welcome a body camera as soon as they come up with a good design that's compatible with my dashcam. Ideally the bodycam would kick on when I open my door, just like my dashcam. If I'm eating lunch, using the restroom, or not on a call I just shut it off at the car. What I don't want is something I have to manually turn on each time. I'm sorry, but if I have to jump out of the car to chase a bad guy, I'm not gonna stop to mess around with a little button.

But I am absolutely open to the idea of bodycams, and I think 9 times out of 10 they will only help the officer. I've had use of force incidents happen directly in front of my dashcam and the video quickly exonerated me. I've had other incidents that I wish had been on camera but unfortunately I was inside an apartment or chasing someone a quarter mile away from my car and it didn't pick up any audio or video.

Also, these bodycams better be freakin' DURABLE and not get in the way of my movement in any way.

Comment

I also think that when they implement bodycams in my city (it's only a matter of time), they should require all 10 City Council members, the City Mgr, the Mayor, and the Police Monitor all wear the cameras too whenever they are on the clock or conducting city business. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Comment

I saw something brought up on Facebook - what type of cameras will be used? Will they be regular cameras that suck in low light but are more accurate of what the officer sees? Or will they be cameras equipped with IR and make everything appear perfectly clear in the dark?

If it's #1 - I'm for it. If it's #2 - you'll just have a whole bunch of morons yelling that the officer(s) SHOULD have seen what the camera saw, even though that's physically impossible.
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                        I saw something brought up on Facebook - what type of cameras will be used? Will they be regular cameras that suck in low light but are more accurate of what the officer sees? Or will they be cameras equipped with IR and make everything appear perfectly clear in the dark?

If it's #1 - I'm for it. If it's #2 - you'll just have a whole bunch of morons yelling that the officer(s) SHOULD have seen what the camera saw, even though that's physically impossible.
                        Valid point. Vievu specifically makes their cameras so that they will not pick up detail that an officer would not see for just that reason.

Comment

Body camera's = extreme micro management.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                            Body camera's = extreme micro management.
                            I disagree. We don't look at footage unless there has been a complaint or there is a genuine need. No one has time to sit around and watch tapes just to see what officers are doing, and it is prohibited by policy to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                              I disagree. We don't look at footage unless there has been a complaint or there is a genuine need. No one has time to sit around and watch tapes just to see what officers are doing, and it is prohibited by policy to do so.
                              Same here, with our dashcams. I think that's a fair policy to have in place.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3847 users online. 206 members and 3641 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X