300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty Military while Serving as Reserve Officer

DELETED for inadvertently offending others. Sorry.
    Last edited by OsageCombatives; 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM.

They have the authority to limit what you can do. If you haven't figured it out, you have some issues. You belong to the military 24/7, you do NOT have a right to outside employment. That is ENTIRELY at the discretion of your CO. What YOU FEEL is irrelevant. You are required to be a soldier. Period.

If you really think you are right, call JAG. Then kiss your AD career goodbye. You are a barracks-room lawyer and think the regs are something to get around, not obey.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You have to have your commander's approval. He doesn't have to give it for any reason, or no reason at all.

A military service member is NOT a DoD employee.

A military service member is subject to duty 24/7. ANY outside employment potentially interferes with the service member's primary duty.

I realize many commanders appear to act as dictators, but that doesn't mean military regulations back up their actions.
      The regs you spouted ALLOW you to obtain outside employment. They don't REQUIRE that you be allowed to do so.

I suspect you've been told you can't be a reserve officer, and you're trying to force you way around your commander's orders.

Don't. Not only will you NOT be a cop, you won't be a Soldier much longer either.

Commanders aren't dictators, they are commanders. They command. They make decisions and give orders. If all commanders did was parrot regulations, we wouldn't need commanders we'd just need somebody to read the regs for every situation.

You have an attitude problem. Adjust it before it gets adjusted for you.
      Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-23-2014, 04:03 PM.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Deleted for inadvertently offending others. Sorry.
        Last edited by OsageCombatives; 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Popcorn anyone?????????
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Uhh, If I didn't know better, I'd think I was dealing with a "Sea Lawyer". That appellation applies to members of the Naval Service, ie: Navy and Marine Corps. In the Army, and I believe the Air Force, they are known as "Guard House Lawyers". The term "Guard House" should as a potential warning to you.

My colleagues have very accurately described your position vis a vis your Command Authority. In short, and as has been pointed out to you, YOU belong to the Government. The authority of the Government is vested in your command authority. While there is no requirement that you like a given order, policy, command, restriction, etc. there is every requirement that you adhere to it.

Now I have doubt that you'll object to the reply I've given you, the fact remains that it is true. You can argue, pi..s, moan, scream, deny, and get all mad at me (us). That will change nothing. What surprises me is that you claim to hold status as a Law Enforcement Officer, and still fail to understand your duty to obey the lawful orders of your superiors.

Oh, and should you argue that restrictions on your off-duty activities (law enforcement) are unlawful, I have a major newsflash for you. They ARE lawful. Talk to JAG. They'll tell you the same thing we have.

Comment

Wow, you guys are jumping to a lot of conclusions.
              No, we're not. It's a fair bet I spend more time with US Army on my chest than you have been alive. I've seen a dozen of you.

Military commanders (and I happen to be a commissioned officer)
              That makes it worse, not better. Tell the NCOs in your command that they are slacking, for not having taken you out behind a CONEX and squared you away before now.

do not have blanket authority over every aspect of a servicemembers life.
              Nobody said they did.

That's simply not true though it does feel that way sometimes.
              Unless you are spending leave, you are on duty ESPECIALLY if you're a commissioned officer. The only reason you have free time OTHER than when you are on leave is because the Army doesn't have something better for you to do.

The Army COULD give you the same work schedule IN-CONUS that it does in theater, it just chooses not to do so.

looking for some additional regulations that can be shown to either disprove or prove my belief.
              Your commander is your commander. He's given an order. What else do you need?

If you suspect the order is unlawful, disobey it. Then you will find out for sure.

everything a commander does must be in accordance with regulation
              Really. So all commanders do is quote regulations? Interesting job perspective you have there.

In point of fact, that's an untrue statement. Any commander can institute standards that are more strict than regulation. He usually can't make them LESS strict.

There is no regulation specifying which side of the commode the TP shall hang from. If the commander orders that it be hang on the left side, that's where it is hung.

There is no regulation specifying how often the barracks/ motorpool/ CP shall be inspected. The commander decides how often he needs to inspect.

Regulations specify that a Soldier MAY be employed off duty. Nothing says they MUST be allowed to be employed off duty.

You are a poor example for the Soldiers in your unit. As a career non-commissioned officer if you were MY Lieutenant we'd be having a sit-down with the 1SG regarding your attitude and it's influence on the troops... I can't lead, train and enforce discipline as the commander's representative if one of his Lieutenants is being a d-bag... and if that didn't work we'd be talking with the commander.

I've ended officer's careers before. You look like you might be a candidate. Your attitude and perspective are all wrong.

You're a Lieutenant. You're supposed to be stupid. You're not supposed to be insubordinate.
              Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-23-2014, 05:16 PM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Sorry to offend everyone. I came looking for some information that would enable me to guide prospective officers. I got some opinions from pr.cks. Thanks anyway.

Feel free to respond if you want. I won't be looking. I'll look elsewhere for actual information.

Comment

Originally posted by OsageCombatives View Post
                  Wow, you guys are jumping to a lot of conclusions. I've been a reserve for awhile and actually been recommended by my command for an "Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal" so I wouldn't say you were quite right on point with that accusation. I am however in charge of our reserve officer program and trying to answer some questions for potential reserves that don't happen to fall under the same chain of command as myself. There are several active duty soldiers and DA civilians in my current command that serve as reserve officers/deputies.

Anyway, back to the question.

Military commanders (and I happen to be a commissioned officer) do not have blanket authority over every aspect of a servicemembers life. That's simply not true though it does feel that way sometimes.

Far from "barracks lawyering" which is what the first two responses are (what you think but lacking citation), I am looking for some additional regulations that can be shown to either disprove or prove my belief. I do not have an agenda. I actually need correct information.

Thanks for the opinions thus far but I need references, not opinion. Can anyone point to a regulation that allows/prohibits such activities because everything a commander does must be in accordance with regulation.

And being a reserve is not outside "employment." My citation of that was directed for those rare reserves that are paid and not volunteers.

Tell ya something there Pal. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were bucking for a BCD. You've got an attitude problem as obvious as an M-1 Tank. Here it is. You're not a DOD employee, you're a member of the U.S. Armed Forces. When you took your Oath, you swore to obey all lawful orders of officers appointed over you. It really is that simple.

The fact that YOU don't especially like a given order, restriction, policy, or ruling, doesn't relieve you of the obligation to obey it. Now like most Barracks Legal Reps, you're getting a little snarky with the very forum you came to inquire of.

It's rather obvious you neither like or appreciate the honest replies you've received here. I would urge you to do some serious growing up. Quit you're damned whining, bellyaching, snot slinging, and singing the damned blues. Grow the phuk up and start soldiering. start honoring the young men and women who are daily getting the job done. Getting the job done absent the crybaby, it's all about me crap you've brought to this forum.

Hell, you're nothing but a damned disgrace. Keep your crap up. You don't deserve to wear your nation's uniform.

Comment

DELETED for inadvertently offending others. Sorry.

Doesn't get you off the hook Junior. In fact, as a colleague has accurately stated, your action (deleting) is the coward's way out. You really ought to suck it up and have the cajones to read the replies you generated.

Comment

Sorry to offend everyone. I came looking for some information that would enable me to guide prospective officers. I got some opinions from pr.cks. Thanks anyway.

Feel free to respond if you want. I won't be looking. I'll look elsewhere for actual information.

You can't be an Officer. You're just an unprincipled POS.

Comment

I am currently active duty military and a reserve officer. I also know several others who do both. We are all very aware of the balance we must maintain, especially with certain commanders. I am required to follow the policy within my command for off duty employment (even though it's unpaid). If I fail to follow the policy, not only could I get in trouble from my command, but should something tragic happen, it would be considered a line of duty NO.

As others have stated, we are Soldiers 24/7. That means our activities can be prohibited and restricted at any point. The regulations you quoted are all you need. If you don't think that any injury you sustain as a reserve officer would not interfere with your abilities to perform your duties for the military, I think you need to reevaluate your risk assessment.

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                        Unless you are spending leave, you are on duty ESPECIALLY if you're a commissioned officer. The only reason you have free time OTHER than when you are on leave is because the Army doesn't have something better for you to do.
                        And even on leave...you can be called back
                        "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

You should apologize. Not to us, but to any soldiers who have had the misfortune to be commanded or influenced by you. You're nothing but an unprincipled, snot slinging, self pitying crybaby. You're living proof of the old adage about some officers not making good PFC''s

You're nothing but a disgrace to the uniform. You really need to resign your commission. Slime balls are not needed in our nation's Armed Forces. We have enough of them in politics. Hell, one of those is probably one of your hero's . In case you're wondering who I mean, he currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania.

Geez, wonderful young men and women coming into Dover AFB each week in body bags. More coming back, wounded, maimed, effected for life, I mean real hero's. Then this POS shows up and dishonors them all.

Thank Heaven this clown is NOT representative of the wonderful young people I've referenced.

Comment

As an ex-SNCO, PO, and having been a WO, I doubt very much you're an O. Unless you are a 2LT, in which case you think you are God, but haven't yet met your 1SG or CPO for "The Talk."
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBradford View Post

Another satisfied customer........................................
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4619 users online. 258 members and 4361 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X