Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmpi-2 & pf16

I am just ranting at this point.

I recently took the MMPI2 and the PF16 tests as the final stage in the hiring process for a department I am trying to become a member of. I believe I defeated myself by looking too far into the questions. I answered truthfully, but feel the questions are very open ended and should/could not be answered by a true or false. Now these opinions are mainly related to the MMPI2.

The PF 16 was much more clear and easily answered to who I am. The psychologist also had me fill out a personal history packet that he wanted to go over. Maybe I am being a "pre-Madonna" of sorts, but I was not interviewed by the Dr. and was informed my results will be mailed to the department in a few weeks. Seems like my experience is a little odd with this, but then again I am new to Police Officer hiring process. The last thing that struck me as weird was once I was finished with the tests I was instructed to slide it under his office door and show myself out...

Here is some Non-Leo advice for the Leo hopeful.

1. Do not look up the tests online. I didn't, but after taking the tests I know I would have read into the questions more so and defeated myself even more if I had.

2. Do not spend too much time on the questions. The more you sit there and think about it the more you will confuse your self.

3. Answer honestly. Do not answer for what you think they want because I guarantee that you will not be able find the perceived right answer on most of the questions. Thus, if you try to beat the system you will beat yourself.

4. Answer instinctually. Typically what comes to you first is what you should put down. You want to be hired for who you are. If for some reason you trick the system and pass then that can put you and others in danger in the long run. These tests are there for a reason. They need to know you will not snap in a stressful situation.

5. Be yourself. I don't mean you should roll in with crappy clothes and a hunk of chewing tobacco in your mouth. I am suggesting that you allow yourself to be tested not a fake you.

Now to be an officer is a lot more than strapping on a uniform, a shiny badge, gun, and going code 3 to your calls. If you become a Law Enforcement Officer than you have been entrusted with the lives and well being of an entire community. I am sure as a non-leo you expect the LEOs to be upstanding, honest, and fair people. Entering law enforcement is one you not only need to know what you are getting yourself into, but you need to know who you are. As a civilian if I had a choice between an officer who knows every law and can dictate the Statutes from memory with questionable character or one that has unwavering integrity, but needs to work on his finer points in traffic and criminal law then I will go with the latter. This last paragraph is simply reaffirming my statements about being honest not only on the test, but to your self. I was honest and can see there is a way you need to take the test. Do not break down each question with a million "What ifs?" this was my mistake... Was it a fatal one? I do not know yet...

Okay rant over.
    Last edited by jtay; 11-19-2014, 04:49 PM.

You know, if you just read the instructions, the test process is clear.
    This generation of googling all things for answers is being bit in the buttocks, which is a good thing, because they all try to beat the system.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The MMPI is pretty straight forward------------------answer the questions as they apply to you. Don't overthink them.

Live with the results.

Think of how the test work in this way-------------- In common terms-----Some days you are the hammer , some days you are the nail.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Although the test consists of 800 questions its the same 100 or so questions 8 different times. No test is hard if you READ/FOLLOW DIRECTIONS
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

All correct who have replied... I followed all rules that I posted, but let myself become to analytical. So I broke one of them. Hopefully someone will heed my warning.

Googling anything and everything is a crutch in many ways...

My test, my answers, and my results. If it is a fail I have no one or no thing to blame, but my crazy self.

Ahhh instructions who has time for that?! Actually that is sadly where many people fail. I have taken tests where it stated to skip to question number whatever and begin there... Those who didn't failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            The MMPI is pretty straight forward------------------answer the questions as they apply to you. Don't overthink them.

Live with the results.

Think of how the test work in this way-------------- In common terms-----Some days you are the hammer , some days you are the nail.
            But Iowa, I need a really good answer to "If I were an artist, I would like to paint flowers."
            Originally posted by Michigan
            Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

I just had to take this AGAIN for the 3rd time in my life and it sucked just as bad it did the first 2 times! the hardest part is staying focused long to finish all 2 million of the repetitive questions! The DR. that did this last test for me was basically a real life Ned Flanders complete with a real men love cats coffee mug, and a photo of him and his 2 cats framed on his desk!! he stood over my shoulder the entire time I took the test super creepy! I also had to watch a homemade video of him giving instructions on how to take the tests! with him standing right beside me.

Comment

Not that kind of test...
                "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve856
                  I am not a LEO, nor do I aspire to be a LEO, but I've taken plenty of tests. I've gotten pretty good in taking tests and gotten good test results, not because I am smarter or more knowledgeable, but because I've prepared for the tests. To me it seems asinine not to study, and not take practice tests over and over and over again until you reach the results that the test givers want. If there is an important test that one needs to take in order to get hired or promoted, my recommendation is to know what the hiring or promoting personnel is looking for and answer the questions in such as way. Get some books on how to study for it, what to study, and keep taking practice tests. Nothing on the test will be surprise; it will contain questions that you've answered hundreds of time before.
                  It is a personality test. you can't change your personality by "studying". Besides, the test is designed to catch people who are trying to beat the test.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

steve

Read this........................http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...lity_Inventory

Comment

I am not a LEO, nor do I aspire to be a LEO, but I've taken plenty of tests. I've gotten pretty good in taking tests and gotten good test results, not because I am smarter or more knowledgeable, but because I've prepared for the tests. To me it seems asinine not to study, and not take practice tests over and over and over again until you reach the results that the test givers want. If there is an important test that one needs to take in order to get hired or promoted, my recommendation is to know what the hiring or promoting personnel is looking for and answer the questions in such as way. Get some books on how to study for it, what to study, and keep taking practice tests. Nothing on the test will be surprise; it will contain questions that you've answered hundreds of time before.
                      * Yes, tests can be taken a certain way to aid the taker in increasing their probability of a better score. Being able to do well in the one thing that is designed to see what you know is a skill.

* For myself it is a honed skill considering all the extensive testing I have done for Emergency Medical field, Firefighting, Rescue teams and more.

* Do not think of the MMPI-2 and PF-16 as a test of knowledge. It is an examination of your cognitive function. Not limited to, but including logical thought, social disorders, irrational fears, and personality traits. If you are able to STUDY and use the examination to your benefit by tricking the examination into thinking you are someone different then you really are.... Then you should not be a LEO. I understand that you made the statement that you are not one and do not aspire to be one so you may not understand.

* The term TEST should have not been used. It is more similar to an invasive medical physical examination than it is a test of knowledge. You cannot fake a heart arrhythmia on an EKG anymore you can fake a psychological disorder on the MMPI-2 or the PF-16.

Comment

I tried explaining. No I did not get flustered with the test. I am done explaining to you. You do not understand and probably never will. Your complete lack of insight to the severity of the entire examination and/or occupation is what is most bothersome.

Comment

Steve again you dont understand the procedure ,like most things LEOs do and discuss here. You cant study for a personality test.

To help you out alittle tho. Alot of the questions these test have will have 1 or 2 wrong answers and 1 or 2 possibly correct answers,one more so than the other,They are wanting to see how a person reacts to a situation .Each person answers based on themselves and their view,Its along way from reading a law book and writing down a answer.

Comment

No, you do not need to explain anymore. I totally understood what you wrote, and understood your position.

That fact that I understand does not mean that I agree with it. I disagree with your premise that a lack of preparation is the best way of approaching these or any other tests. I believe that being prepared is almost always better than being unprepared. You are telling candidates just to wing it. Unbelievable.

As far as you being flustered" goes, you were actually beyond that. You were ranting (see the first and last sentences of your post). You did not know how to answer questions that were very open ended and should/could not be answered by a true or false. Well, if you were prepared, you would have known how to answer open ended questions that could not be answered by true/false. Those are the test taking skills that I wrote about.

In any case, I hope that you did well on your test.
                            once again---------------this is not really a test

It is a personality inventory.

A person can not change their personality by "studying" or "preparing" for the exam. Trying to prepare for the MMPI WILL result in an indicator to the scoring proctor that an attempt to "beat" the test was made and WILL result in a perceived FAILURE of the exam.

Now you can agree or you can not agree-------------that is fine for your purposes, but if a candidate takes YOUR advice and tries to prepare for the exam, they will most likely be very, very sorry.

Comment

Spot on.
                              Steve once again has not learned to stay in his NARROW lane.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5610 users online. 363 members and 5247 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X