Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police/College Question

Hello everyone,

I am 20 years old and want to become a cop. My local department doesn't require any college experience but I wanted to get a two year CSI degree before I went into the force to help me get hired. I know that since I am 20 I have to start off as a community service officer and then when I hit 21 and there is a spot open I can possibly become a regular policeman. Would it be better to put aside college for now and become a CSO; or, wait get my degree and then try and join when I can become a regular cop without having to do CSO first or should I just try and get my degree when I'm on the force. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am also currently in the South Carolina National Guard if that helps with anything. Thanks for any helpful information.
    Last edited by JBarrick13; 11-11-2014, 08:42 AM.

#1 You are NOT in the UNITED STATES National Guard-------------------------you are in (fill in state name) National Guard

#2 A 2 yr degree in Underwater Basket weaving would be as much help getting hired as a "CSI" degree.

#3 If you are 20 and want to get a degree first----------------by the time you graduate you would be around 22 and should be able to pass any age requirement

#4 If you really want to stand out at an agency that DOESN'T require college, get a 4 yr degree in some discipline that interests you ----English, History, Mathematics, etc

#5 There is no real answer to the "Would it be better" question-------------its all up to you
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I am not entirely convinced you are in the National Guard. Calling it the United States National Guard isn't even close to accurate. If you really are in the SCNG, why did you say United States? Why not have pride in the South Carolina National Guard?

Perhaps you don't realize that you asking department specific questions(which at times is State specific as well), yet you didn't give the Agency, the State, or any real information therefore creating a potentially vague answer to a complex question.

It leads me to believe that you are purposefully trying to conceal your identity. Why? Because you are a troll.
      semper destravit

Comment

Do not waste any time or money getting a degree in CSI; try getting a degree in something that will actually be useful.

Comment

Just curious, how is CSI not useful? I always thought having background knowledge in that field would always be helpful if you eventually wanted to become a detective or a CSI Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarrick13 View Post
            Just curious, how is CSI not useful? I always thought having background knowledge in that field would always be helpful if you eventually wanted to become a detective or a CSI Tech.
            After you put your time in on the street, you may be chosen to be an evidence tech, at which time you will be sent to E School to learn how your local or regional crime lab wants things done. What good is your CSI degree going to do you if it takes you 3 to 5 years to get hired? How useful is it going to be if you never get hired?
            Last edited by just joe; 11-11-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Uhh, To repeat my colleague's observation, a degree in Underwater Basket weaving would be just as good. So would one in Aids Awareness, the History of Basketball or some other tripe. You're going to expend a considerable amount of time, effort, and money in obtaining any degree. It stands to reason then, that the degree would be both useful and marketable.

The decision to pursue any degree is yours to make, as is the decision to apply to any LE agency. Sidebar : I wasn't aware that there was a United States National Guard. Tell us a little more about that.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarrick13 View Post
                You do realize that being a "CSI Tech" isn't like the show right? The techs don't go interviewing and knocking on doors, they don't go flashing a fancy badge most the time, and it's not like they arrest the suspect and "make the case". I can't speak for all agencies but like my city, the Crime Scene are civilian, non-sworn employees of the police department who have training in crime screen preservation and evidence collection and the like. They spend much of the rest of their time in their office or a lab. When they are done, they forward the information they find to the detective handling the case.

Some smaller agencies, a detective might chase it all if the city can't afford to employ their own or I even know one case where an agency contracts with a company to handle this process.

So how is a degree in crime scene investigations going to help you be hired for an agency if you are looking at working the street for a time? An agency hires officers unless there is specifically an opening for these positions and they hire from outside. Beyond that, as has been noted, it's a detail you can get into from within.

Comment

I started as a community service officer when I was 19 (no gun did all the b.s. work). I also was going to college while working as a community service officer. I learned way more about being a cop while I was a C.S.O, and as soon as I turned 21 I was hired on as patrol and went to the academy. I ended up not finishing college right way once I was hired on patrol. In the long run It might be easier to get hired going from C.S.O. to patrol but having the degree is something that you keep forever!

Comment

I wasn't aware that there was a United States National Guard. Tell us a little more about that.
                    There actually IS a "National Guard of the United States". It is both a collective term for the National Guards of the several states and territories AND it is possible to be a member without belonging to the National Guard of any particular state. Guardsmen living overseas, for example spouses of active duty military serving overseas, can be enrolled in the NGUS directly without being enlisted in any state's National Guard, or transferred to it when they move outside US territory.

None of that applies to the OP, however.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

WTF is a "CSI degree"??
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                        WTF is a "CSI degree"??
                        I thought it was was "Customer Service Industry". Is that not right?

Comment

Yep, I was right. Right up there with Aids Awareness, and History of Basketball.

Comment

I'm rolling my eyes so hard at this thread I can see my brain.
                            MAC

Comment

At least he didn't purchase a used Crown Vic to get used to the handling of the car....
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5028 users online. 283 members and 4745 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X