300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaplains

Are most chaplains civilian volunteers, or do departments "hire" chaplains?
    Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Most of the Chaplains I have seen in police agencies are volunteer civilians.

Most Chaplains in corrections are employees.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My department has both sworn and civilian.

Comment

When I was a deputy sheriff, our chaplains were local clergymen and served in a volunteer capacity. They had no "official" powers, but I know that they were very highly regarded by most everyone.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I'm a full-time deputy and a volunteer chaplain. My wife is a librarian with the county and she's "Chaplain 2". Chaplains 3 & 4 are local pastors who serve as volunteers.

Some larger agencies do actually hire chaplains. In those cases the agencies generally require them to have Master's degrees.
          Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
          Among Texas' finest
          Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
          Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
          Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Our Chaplain is a retired deputy who now serves as a volunteer.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I am going to school for religious education with the goal of being a military, LE, or Corrections chaplain.
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

Chaplaincy is sorta like LE in that the education doesn't guarantee acceptance by anyone. It's also similar in that it isn't for everyone -- it's a special calling.

Most chaplains have years of ministry behind them before they get into it. Also, most chaplains are ordained any carry credentials with a "recognized religious organization."
                Last edited by chapwolfe; 11-11-2014, 08:16 PM.
                Among Texas' finest

Comment

The NYPD employs 7 full time Chaplains of various faiths. The FDNY also has a Chaplains' service. An FDNY Chaplain, Father Mychal Judge, was killed in the line of duty on 9/11. Although unarmed, the Chaplains are uniformed and have rank.

Comment

In the NYPD a chaplain has an assimilated rank.

As our doctors in the rank of inspector.
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Our department has chaplains, however as much as I respect them, I would never go to them for advice or in time of need. In my opionion, the only ones who truly understand what we go through are those who have walked in our shoes. YMMV.

With the above in mind, I volunteer as a member of my department's peer support team. We go through training and have access to resources to help our brothers and sisters in need.

Stay safe.

Comment

Our Chaplains are actually priests and nuns from local churches in town who volunteer to provide their services.
                        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                        that we are all that stands between
                        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
                          I am going to school for religious education with the goal of being a military, LE, or Corrections chaplain.
                          At the risk of sounding overly critical "for religious education" sounds like either a Catholic High School or a course of study that teaches you don't have to believe anything. Doesn't sound like something that'll get you into chaplaincy.
                          Among Texas' finest

Comment

It's a Pre-Seminary professional track... Religion and Philosophy. I pass that and I can try to get into Seminary for an M. in Divinity, from there, I can try to get into Military Chaplaincy... it's not a perfect path... but

It was that or law...
                            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012

Comment

Our department has one full-time chaplain and he is sworn.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3087 users online. 183 members and 2904 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X