300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's finally free!

(CNN) -- A Mexico court has ordered the release of U.S. Marine reservist Andrew Paul Tahmooressi, held in a Mexican prison since March on a weapons charge, a Mexican federal government press release said Friday.

Tahmooressi was arrested March 31 at a Tijuana, Mexico, checkpoint after Mexican customs agents found three firearms in his truck, including a .45-caliber pistol, a pump shotgun and an AR-15 rifle.

Mexico's strict federal gun laws prohibit anyone illegally bringing weapons into the country.

Since his arrest, Tahmooressi has maintained that he took a wrong turn on the California side of the border into Tijuana. His mother told CNN in May that Tahmooressi, who served with the Marines in Afghanistan, had moved to the San Ysidro, California, area to get treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder.

"He has unresolved, or untreated PTSD, and he cannot get the cognitive therapy behavior that veterans of America receive ... in a Mexico jail, where there is no such thing," his mother told CNN earlier this year. "He's highly discouraged there is no light at the end of the tunnel."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/31/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

No thanks to our president...

I'm always surprised at comments like this. I'm glad he has been released for a genuine mistake. What was the president supposed to do? Send in the Seals to break him out? Unfortunately Mexico doesn't have the same rights or legal system that we have and we can't go and start an international incident because a US citizen broke the law of another country. At least he is home now.

Comment

More time, effort and press was spent trying to get that idiot out of NK.

Comment

Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
        I'm always surprised at comments like this. I'm glad he has been released for a genuine mistake. What was the president supposed to do? Send in the Seals to break him out? Unfortunately Mexico doesn't have the same rights or legal system that we have and we can't go and start an international incident because a US citizen broke the law of another country. At least he is home now.
        Well let's see... The POTUS said to hell with congressional approval, public opinion, our policy of not negotiating with terrorists, and national security when he released 5 all stars from club Gitmo for a known deserter. So yeah, I'm pretty sure he could of done something, after all, I would hope that we have more political sway over Mexico then we do with the Taliban.

Comment

Or we don't and they just look at us like many other countries do, that we try to push ourselves on them, and continue with their own court process. If someone from Mexico came here and broke one of our laws, should the Mexican president be pushing for their release or let our court system work? It's the same thing and we are just another sovereign nation just like they are. It sucks that it happened to this guy but what about the truck driver who was delivering ammo and made a wrong turn? Where was this "outrage" for him? We have to respect their legal system and laws just like we expect other countries to do with ours.

Comment

The President did for this exactly what he should have done, nothing. Marine or no Marine, the guy was dirty, lied to authorities in both countries about why he was in Mexico, and was there for nefarious reasons.

Contrary to what his mom claimed, he was not in Mexico by accident.
            “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4619 users online. 305 members and 4314 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X