300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD College Credit Question.

PS to the Mod(s)/ (Admin(s) if this topic is in the wrong section I apologize.

Greetings all, I just want some feedback. Why is there a 60 college requirement to become a NYPD officer? If this question has been asked before I'm sorry, I'm fairly new here.

It's a bit frustrating that one needs to go to college and go through hours of math, US history, science, etc... When the NYPD itself teaches you everything you need to know about being a officer in their own academy so your credits &/or degree is a waste.

Why is there an assumption that going to college makes you a smarter and more of a well rounded individual? There's people who meet the requirements that still end up flunking out of the academy, or don't pass the psychological test.

Idk, it just amazes me how there's other law enforcement agencies that don't require college experience with officers that are on par if not better than their NYPD counterparts.

Feedback?

College education is a waste? Maybe they are looking for post high school exposure to critical thinking and writing skills, or the demonstrated ability to absorb information, as well as study and pass tests on said information (kinda like all of the tests academy students take before their state certifying exam). Maybe they just want a more educated officer.

Unless you study and read on your own, a college education does tend to make you smarter and more well rounded than everyone else.

I suggest you go to one of the other agencies that doesn't require any college, get yourself hired, and show NYPD that you are a better officer. That will show 'em.

We don't require college credits either, nor have we hired an officer without them in years.

Comment

I never said nor meant to imply that getting a college education is a waste, I'm just saying what's the point when what you learn in college won't really help you as an officer (unless you're studying history, some kind of psychology class, or something to do with interacting with others maybe) But again, they teach you everything you need to know in the academy.

I get your points though & thanks for your suggestion, I think I'm going to try the Sanitation and MTA route before I sign myself up for college though. The NYPD & law enforcement in general is my third career choice.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

For starters a high school diploma is crap now. I've seen high school grads that can't read or write past a 4th grade lvl. My friend coaches college basketball and when he recruits kids that are about to graduate he's talked to kids that can't hold a professional conversation and can't read a contract and understand it. Also in a big agency that's never short of applications it's an easy way to see who wants it. If your not willing to get a basic associates degree for the job well then you don't really want it. Also knowledge is power I know it's a cliche but it's true and can help in police work. I've taken fraud reports that made my head spin trying to understand the math and the process used in bank and wire transfers ect.
        Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.
        -Ronald Reagan

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.
        -Ronald Reagan

Big Mak Attack AKA Big Mac Attack

Comment

NYPD, like any large police force, expects that its Officers will want to get ahead. Police leaders today need a broad based education to function properly as leaders of Officers and to deal with the problems the citizenry bring. As MOS test for promotions there are increased educational requirements. Having the credits gives the Cop a head start on preparing to further his/her career.

Comment

I took a peek at their website. It 60 hours or 2 years military. This tells me, as another person posted, that they are looking for certain skills outside the normal workplace or high school. The self-discipline and organization it takes and is learned from these seems to be their goal. The others are on point in saying it being your third choice, move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603
              It is a requirement for the job. No other reason is needed.

It has been decided by the powers that be, that if you want to join the NYPD, you WILL have 60 hours of college.

Applying for any job is an elective. You are not being forced to go to college to get a job..............unless you want to be an NYPD officer, then you will need that much education.

If Police work is your third choice-------------------I doubt that you would make it through the rest of the testing and/or training anyway.
              Thanks for your feedback, I understand your perspective.

"I doubt that you would make it through the rest of the testing and/or training anyway." As far as that, with all due respect you don't know how much drive I have for a profession like this. I may not have insinuated that with my previous posts, but if given the opportunity I'd bust my hump.

I 'm still weighing my options at this point, but I'm leaning towards pursuing a college education just in case my other two choices don't fall through.

Once again, thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                NYPD, like any large police force, expects that its Officers will want to get ahead. Police leaders today need a broad based education to function properly as leaders of Officers and to deal with the problems the citizenry bring. As MOS test for promotions there are increased educational requirements. Having the credits gives the Cop a head start on preparing to further his/her career.
                That's a interesting perspective, I never thought of it like that. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by big mak attack View Post
                  For starters a high school diploma is crap now. I've seen high school grads that can't read or write past a 4th grade lvl. My friend coaches college basketball and when he recruits kids that are about to graduate he's talked to kids that can't hold a professional conversation and can't read a contract and understand it. Also in a big agency that's never short of applications it's an easy way to see who wants it. If your not willing to get a basic associates degree for the job well then you don't really want it. Also knowledge is power I know it's a cliche but it's true and can help in police work. I've taken fraud reports that made my head spin trying to understand the math and the process used in bank and wire transfers ect.
                  "I've seen high school grads that can't read or write past a 4th grade lvl." To be fair, I've seen college grads with literacy issues too (amazes me too lol) Just saying,

"Also in a big agency that's never short of applications it's an easy way to see who wants it." That's an interesting point, I haven't thought about that either. I guess that's also a great way to weed out candidates and make the hiring process faster.

You brought up some great points thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Great news.
                    Last edited by officer34; 01-07-2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

wrong thread, oops
                      Last edited by gunslash; 11-07-2014, 06:30 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                        they're going to loot and riot whether there's an indictment or not.
                        When Obama was running for his first term, we prepared for the worst if he lost - guess what? He won(obviously), and people were still out there acting like maniacs.
                        I'm confused what this has to do with NYPD and college credit. Can you explain more?

Comment

Go to college and get a degree in something useful - like business, accounting, psychology, etc. NOT criminal justice.

Apply and take classes while you're in the process with PD's. Meanwhile, get a job (if you don't already have one) to gain some work, life, and 'dealing with as*holes' experience.
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by RailMan96 View Post
                            PS to the Mod(s)/ (Admin(s) if this topic is in the wrong section I apologize.

Greetings all, I just want some feedback. Why is there a 60 college requirement to become a NYPD officer? If this question has been asked before I'm sorry, I'm fairly new here.

It's a bit frustrating that one needs to go to college and go through hours of math, US history, science, etc... When the NYPD itself teaches you everything you need to know about being a officer in their own academy so your credits &/or degree is a waste.

Why is there an assumption that going to college makes you a smarter and more of a well rounded individual? There's people who meet the requirements that still end up flunking out of the academy, or don't pass the psychological test.

Idk, it just amazes me how there's other law enforcement agencies that don't require college experience with officers that are on par if not better than their NYPD counterparts.

Feedback?
                            Maybe so that incoming rookies have some sort of reading comprehension and can write a complete sentence without causing the reader to have to dissect every word due to the awful spelling and grammar. There is no reason why a police officer should spell Saterday and Feloney. Yes, that's right.

From the pitiful reports I have had the "privilege" of reading, I believe 60 credits is not enough. I say a BA/BS should be the requirement. Hell, maybe it were 60 real credits, I'd be more welcome to it. This whole FEMA back-door nonsense is shameful.

A department is judged from the outside by the quality of it's people in just about every way and, unfortunately, reports are a big part of that. Want to take away the entire college requirement? Substitute that with real, meaningful report writing and communication exercises/training and maybe I'd consider the idea. Especially seeing as how the whole college education system in the US is pretty much watered down, it's pretty likely that even some of those with a degree are complete morons nowadays so this may be the only way to fix the problem. It makes us all look bad when a jury has to read official evidence in a criminal proceeding that looks like it was written by a 3rd grader.

That isn't likely though, seeing as how the entire academy teaches you little to nothing about what you'll actually be doing taught by "instructors" who haven't used a pair of cuffs or answered a radio run in 5+ years. Touching on what someone said below, without college you will NOT move up the supervisory ranks, EVER. You need 64 to be promoted to SGT, 96 for LT, and a BA/BS for CAPT. While anything above that is discretionary, most of those promoted beyond CAPT these days have graduate degrees as well.

I want to finish this off by saying that I've seen high school grads write better reports than some college grads...so this is by no means the rule. Just my opinion based on my own observations.
                            sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                            DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Nyc sheriff deputies require a BA/BS as a minimum requirement.

Nypd is letting you come on easy with a measly 60 credits.

As a police officer(whatever rank), you will, at one point in your career interact with the Assistant District Attorney.

We spin the wheels of justice in motion. We need capable people going into a court room and testifying professionally. Writing their reports properly, as well as speaking in proper context.

I shake my head when I hear some members of the department go forth in front of an ADA or trial and make a fool out of themselves.

Why do lawyers need to go to school for a JD and then pass a bar exam? Couldn't they go to an academy for a year so they can learn the laws and be done with it?

I vote to raise the bar to a BA/BS.
                              Last edited by NYCTNT; 11-07-2014, 10:06 AM.
                              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4044 users online. 239 members and 3805 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X