Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkyBehind View Post
    Th

As far as statutory training, constable didn't use to meet the requirement, but now they do. Is like 60 hours required by law. Now constable are about 100, a little under 200 for advanced plus 240 of FTO.
    My guess is that even with the above amount of training-------------you are looking at probably 1/2 the hours that a full time Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff/State Trooper has to complete

Your constables appear to have the training requirements and "job description" of a Reserve Officer in the state of Iowa. At least that is how SLED seems to have formulated rules to keep constables working with other Certified Officers, limits their powers, and weapons.

Once again , if you wish to change things, I would start with your elected representatives so as to get LAWS changed
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Need Supporting Documentation.

My colleague seems to have nailed the essence of what your problem with SLED probably is. While I don't know the figure off hand, I strongly suspect Constables in your state do not receive the mandatory "minimum" hours of instruction required for other classes of LE officers.

Should that supposition (if true) keep a Constable from carrying a patrol rifle? IMHO... hell no. Stated another way, and once more IMHO, SLED is screwing with you. OK, based on what you've told us, you're a pretty active shooter, both in the past and currently. I'm also willing to bet you could easily qualify and demonstrate proficiency with any weapon thrown at you.

Once more, and I have to say this, your solution is going to be legislative. In all probability this will be an uphill fight. In other words, you could provide all kinds of documentation supporting your (very valid) views on the patrol rifle, but it simply won't do you a whole lot of good in changing SLED's current attitude, the resulting ruling from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        My guess is that even with the above amount of training-------------you are looking at probably 1/2 the hours that a full time Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff/State Trooper has to complete

Your constables appear to have the training requirements and "job description" of a Reserve Officer in the state of Iowa. At least that is how SLED seems to have formulated rules to keep constables working with other Certified Officers, limits their powers, and weapons.

Once again , if you wish to change things, I would start with your elected representatives so as to get LAWS changed
        Should have clarified, that's exactly what we are except we can work with any dept vs being limited to working with a specific dept (reserves). Also they can get paid for off duty jobs, we can't get paid for anything... Ever (without written permission from the director of sled).

Comment

I think if I make a request to SLED it will be approved. So back at the topic at hand, anyone have supporting documentation or perhaps studies you've used when your department made the transition? Please! [emoji1]

Comment

If you give up trying to convince the powers that be that carbines are both effective and appropriate, take a FN SLP, Benelli M4, Stoeger M3000, or Mossberg 930 and throw an Aimpoint T1 or T2 on it. People underestimate just how mechanically accurate slugs can be. Anything man-sized within 200 yards is pretty easy to score center mass hits on.

If you're willing to rely on that magazine fed Saiga, you're far braver than me.
            Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 10-27-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
              If you give up trying to convince the powers that be that carbines are both effective and appropriate, take a FN SLP, Benelli M4, Stoeger M3000, or Mossberg 930 and throw an Aimpoint T1 or T2 on it. People underestimate just how mechanically accurate slugs can be. Anything man-sized within 200 yards is pretty easy to score center mass hits on.

If you're willing to rely on that magazine fed Saiga, you're far braver than me.
              Can't get denied unless I ask. In sure they'll approve it, just want to have the strongest spring documentation possible.

I do like your statements regarding shotguns, and they can be VERY accurate. As far as the Saiga, remember I do gunsmithing, it's had the reliability treatment.

Comment

Here is a pic of my Saiga 12 [emoji41]
                Attached Files

Comment

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...atrolRifle.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SkyBehind View Post
                    Here is a pic of my Saiga 12 [emoji41]
                    That is a beautiful shotgun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2343 users online. 126 members and 2217 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X