300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Poverty Law Center, Protest in Missouri

In this rather disturbing communication from the Southern Poverty Law Center, an article they post talks about sending representatives to Missouri to join the Ferguson march "raising their voices for those killed in police encounters and calling for an end to discriminatory policing practices".

While I can empathize with the anger and frustration this community feels, I do find it disturbing that organizations like the SPLC, the NAACP, the media and others choose to add so much "fuel to the fire" instead of attempting to rationalize and diffuse an already tense situation. It appears we are at a point where the death of Mr. Brown is no longer the main focal point, and these individuals and organizations have taken it upon themselves to use the Ferguson incident to further their own "pious" self-agendas and "discriminatory practices". It's about so much more than just the police.

You can read the full article at SPLcenter.org

The SPLC has often been on the wrong side of a given issue. This is no exception. As the cynic one time noted, and rather accurately, "There's money in poverty". Believe me, these wonks ain't poor.

Comment

While the SPLC does quite a bit of good, you need to understand their base. They are social workers FIRST, ACTIVISTS second, and a resource center a distant THIRD.

They started out defending black convicts against "the man" in the deep south----------------they really haven't moved off that premise much.

Read the first paragraph on their web site

The Southern Poverty Law Center is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society. Using litigation, education, and other forms of advocacy, the Center works toward the day when the ideals of equal justice and equal opportunity will be a reality.

HISTORY
      http://www.splcenter.org/who-we-are/splc-history
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-23-2014, 04:35 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

They can be a good resource, but they are as left wing as anyone you are going to encounter.

Comment

Why is the SOUTHERN Poverty Law Center doing anything with Missourah? They're yanks.
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

In fairness to the SPLC, they have an excellent intell source in "Klan Watch". Many LE agencies use this resource. If they don't , they should.

Comment

I understand why they exist. But, seriously, why the f**k are they even considering having anything to do with this case?? He wasn't stopped because he was black. He was stopped because he was walking in the middle of the street. He wasn't shot because he was black. He was shot because he had already attacked the officer once and the officer had every reason to believe he was attempting to finish the job. Aren't there REAL racism cases that they should be throwing themselves into? I mean, all I see are people b*tching about white, racist cops killing everyone. From the way people make it sound, they should have PILES and PILES of legitimate cases to pursue.
              Last edited by Aerohead; 10-23-2014, 06:52 PM.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

There are many (including radio talk-show host Steve Harvey) who think that Officer Wilson should be sent up the river for murder. Not merely negligent homicide, involuntary manslaughter or voluntary manslaughter, but murder......
                It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
                  There are many (including radio talk-show host Steve Harvey) who think that Officer Wilson should be sent up the river for murder. Not merely negligent homicide, involuntary manslaughter or voluntary manslaughter, but murder......
                  He's one of quite a few famous and non-famous black people who feel that way. I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm not black. But his race had absolutely NOTHING to do with what happened. Now, if they want to protest a black person who was legitimately shot in the back by a white officer JUST for walking down the street, then I'll send them poster board and markers. But that is not what happened in this case. Autopsy shows it. Witnesses confirm it. So what the f**k is the problem?
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

[quote] In fairness to the SPLC, they have an excellent intell source in "Klan Watch". Many LE agencies use this resource. If they don't , they should.[\quote]

Of course they do. The klan is white. How's their Intel on the black panthers?
                    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

The SPLC has a hate on for all things they consider "right wing". It colors all their works, IMO..

While I think some of their published reports on certain groups has some usefulness, their obvious biases and cherry picking make them less than 100% reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
                        While I can empathize with the anger and frustration this community feels, I do find it disturbing that organizations like the SPLC, the NAACP, the media and others choose to add so much "fuel to the fire" instead of attempting to rationalize and diffuse an already tense situation. It appears we are at a point where the death of Mr. Brown is no longer the main focal point, and these individuals and organizations have taken it upon themselves to use the Ferguson incident to further their own "pious" self-agendas and "discriminatory practices".
                        It is senseless, I agree. Until you realize that they, along with rev reject and not-so-sharpton are not at all interested in achieveing equality. They're all about making worse the racism that they claim to be fighting against. If everyone got along, they'd all be out of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                          Why is the SOUTHERN Poverty Law Center doing anything with Missourah? They're yanks.
                          Not all of us... Interesting that you brought up the pronunciation of the state. In the areas where the north dominated, most people pronounce it Missour-ee. The southern influence manifests itself as Missour-ah.

Just an off topic side note, carry on with the discussion.
                          When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rudy8116;3538915]
                            In fairness to the SPLC, they have an excellent intell source in "Klan Watch". Many LE agencies use this resource. If they don't , they should.[\quote]

It is actually quite good. They track the Black Panthers, Nation of Islam, black separatists, etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rudy8116;3538915]
                              In fairness to the SPLC, they have an excellent intell source in "Klan Watch". Many LE agencies use this resource. If they don't , they should.[\quote]

Rudy, that is a damned good point, and one for which I have no answer. Hate saying that, but it's just plain fact.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4515 users online. 214 members and 4301 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X