300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ride along for a LEO prospect

Hi everyone, I am testing to get into law enforcement and have my first ride along scheduled for tomorrow evening. Does anyone have advice on good things to ask? Or any LEO's have any tips for things that really turned them off while having riders? Thanks everyone.

Make sure to point out every person missing a headlight and every dog off the leash. Then ask, "Are you going to do anything about that?"

But really, ask whatever comes to mind. The questions are probably less important than who you ride with. If you ride with me I'll talk for 8 hours, but some of my comrades would rather dump their ride alongs in the station and leave them there. I always appreciate people asking questions because I can educate them on how we operate and why we act like we do.

Comment

Talking-------------constant talking
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When I was doing ride a longs (before I was sworn), I always got told 'If you see something you want to get out with, just let me know'.....haha. I asked questions, but most importantly (I feel), I listened to the answers. I didn't just hear them, I listened to them.

I now work with the guys that I rode with back then, and I have a blast.

Comment

I like being solo so I never like to take ridealongs. Even so, I've been assigned several over the years against my will. After the ice is broken and I get an idea of the person, things get better. Also, I will talk their ear off so I'm sure they are fully informed of our duties and the realities of our work.

Get a feel for the officer and act accordingly. There may be a tough front put up at first, but if it is dropped, you get to see the real person behind the badge. Just don't get too buddy buddy with the officer. The ridealong is just his duty for that day.

Comment

Don't second guess or criticize the officer's actions. You might ask why something was done, but don't say "that was stupid." Unless it WAS something stupid like driving off while his/her coffee was still on the top of the car.
            Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
            Among Texas' finest
            Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
            Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
            Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

I always used the opportunities to ask questions that I knew they would only answer in private - questions about morale, pay raises, administration attitudes, support from the admin, days off, vacations, shifts, issues/problems within the dept., etc. I actually completely ruled out a department on one ride along based on the answers I received.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

With rare exceptions, I didn't especially care to have a ride-along. That said, let the Officer set the tone, and act accordingly. Dress appropriately, be well groomed, act like a lady or gentleman.

Comment

I did many ride-alongs during my internship. I basically followed the advice of the posters above. The officers I rode with were FTOs and veterans who clearly enjoyed showing me, a college student, what LE was all about. Riding with those type of officers made things a lot easier (on both of us).

I always tried to ask intelligent questions. What type of radios do they use (analog or digital), Taser vs OC spray, how does shift scheduling work, favorite thing about the community, etc.
                  "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

I've been on 4 ride-alongs so far. Only once was I paired with a deputy who didn't want me there. The others were one FTO and two SWAT (my request) officers who were happy to have me. I've been told that some officers don't like ride-alongs because they feel tied down by the citizen. They can't be the primary unit on calls, etc. The one deputy I mentioned was like that and it showed. He wasn't condescending and didn't say anything unprofessional, but I could tell my being there was ****ing up his chi. I thought it was something I said but I later came to find he was one of the more hardcore dudes in that agency, lone-wolf badass type guy, and it all made sense.

It also made sense why the sergeant paired me with him, because they knew I wanted to get into LE and what better choice than to pair the rider with a deputy who had been in something like 4 or 5 gunfights, was mortally wounded in his first one, technically died several times on the operating table, but recovered and turned down a medical pension to come back to work full time. At the time he also had the most felony arrests and had been in the fewest fights out of all the deputies in that agency. Yeah, he definitely had some valuable information I was glad to be on the receiving end of.

If you get a guy who doesn't want you there, the situation isn't any different than with an enthusiastic officer. Just pay a little more attention to staying out of the way and not asking dumb questions.

My advice is don't go on one ride-along. Go on multiple ones and go with different agencies. Each officer is unique and has unique things to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      Talking-------------constant talking
                      Iowa, you have a weird way of being informative in small sentences and I admire that. But I'm not sure if this is something you are saying -not- to do or -to- do. I'm assuming it's the latter but I'm gonna need clarification lol.

I have my first ridealong scheduled with a medium-sized city in Middle Tennessee that I'm thinking about applying to. I'm gonna be riding from 9PM to 7AM on Halloween night into the morning after lol. The lady on the phone that was confirming all my information asked me several times if I was sure I wanted that date.

Any more advice? Everyone that has posted so far has enlightened me with bits and pieces.
                      Prospective.

Comment

You should try and get a ride-a-long with one of the motor unit guys!! Just show up with a helmet and chaps ready to go!

Comment

I feel like I'm no good to ride along with. Yes, I'm proactive and I like to go get in to stuff, but man I can't stand small talk.

Comment

A ride along for Halloween?? Show up dressed like a cop. Then if anyone says anything simply say it's your costume.

Comment

Originally posted by btfp View Post
                              A ride along for Halloween?? Show up dressed like a cop. Then if anyone says anything simply say it's your costume.
                              Hahaha, I'm lucky the Department has a very lax dress code for ride alongs. I'm just going to wear my Stryke pants and a polo.
                              Prospective.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6187 users online. 354 members and 5833 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X