X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA county considers use of prisoners for firefighting

http://newstome.blog.ajc.com/2014/10...orgia-firemen/

Georgia prisoners may replace county firemen

Firefighters typically wait for disasters to happen.

In south Georgia’s Camden County, where firefighters may soon be required to oversee state prisoners as they fight fires, an entirely new kind of disaster is waiting to happen.

The Florida Times-Union tells us the rural county, home to Cumberland Island, a nuclear submarine base and the lovely St. Marys, is trying to improve its insurance rating to save money on insurance costs.

One of the plans being considered is called the “inmate-to-firefighter” program, which would place two prisoners in each of the county’s three fire stations. The paid firefighters would be required to monitor the unpaid inmates and train them to save lives and property.

The proposal would allegedly save the rural county $500,000 a year.

I’m not sure how much an “inmate-to-county-commissioner” program would save, but it makes more sense. At least taxpayers don’t count on elected officials to rush into their burning homes and save their lives.

Current Camden County firemen aren’t keen on adding “prison guard” to their resume. One attended a county commission meeting and said “If you vote to bring these inmates into our working environment, you jeopardize not only the employees’ well-being, but the safety of our citizens.”

A county commissioner said the inmates are “very enthusiastic about being a firefighter” and have been screened so minor criminals such as thieves and drug dealers will be entering people’s homes.

Prisoners already work as firemen in Sumter County (aka Americus).

The prisoner program there saves the county a lot of money, officials say, because the inmates, unlike traditional firemen, are available to work 24-hours a day, seven days a week, for free.

A paid firefighter works one 24-hour day and then has two days off.

Sumter officials said it costs at least $40,000 to pay a fireman per year, but inmates that can work all three shifts only need food and housing, which costs less than $15,000 per year.

With six inmates in Camden working all three shifts, the county would save more than $100,000 a year per inmate, officials say.

It’s much cuter when a kid says he wants to grow up to be a fireman than when a prisoner says he wants to get out to be a fireman.

Epic FAIL on so many levels.
    Where's the unions?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Epic FAIL on so many levels.
      Where's the unions?
      It's Georgia........................there aren't public safety unions down there
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Inmates turned firefighters in a county with a nuclear sub base? This sounds like either a bad idea, or a great sitcom.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?!
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Washington State has employed inmate wildland firefighters for years, but they're out in the sticks, not going into people's homes. Sounds like Camden County is more interested in doing it cheap rather than doing it right.

Comment

This is a bad hollywood movie with C list celebrities waiting to happen.

Comment

Big difference between inmate wild land FF supervised by CO's, than inmates being used as FF with no fire academy, no checks on them. If it's approved, then the VOTERS a deserve what they get.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

A county commissioner said the inmates are “very enthusiastic about being a firefighter” and have been screened so minor criminals such as thieves and drug dealers will be entering people’s homes.
                Nope, can't see anything going wrong there.

Why don't they just switch to a mostly paid on-call "volunteer" fire department like MANY cities already have?
                Originally posted by RSGSRT
                We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

inmates being used as FF with no fire academy,
                  I rather suspect they'll have to pass the same academy standards as any other FF. Wildland inmate crews do.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                    I rather suspect they'll have to pass the same academy standards as any other FF.
                    Presumably they get a pass on the background packet.

Comment

Do firefighters have to take a polygraph and psych exam like police? Those would also be interesting parts of the process for an inmate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                        Presumably they get a pass on the background packet.
                        Doubtful. You don't randomly pick trustees, I doubt you randomly pick inmate firefighters.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                          Doubtful. You don't randomly pick trustees, I doubt you randomly pick inmate firefighters.
                          A "trustee" is still someone that has been convicted of a crime serious enough to warrant jail time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                            A "trustee" is still someone that has been convicted of a crime serious enough to warrant jail time.
                            Yep.

I'm not saying I like the idea. I AM saying that IF they do it it's not going to be 10 random inmates who's names were pulled out of a hat, who are given used turnout gear and a garden hose and told to go fight fires.

I've worked with inmate wildland crews, I was a firefighter a long time ago, and that program is very successful. I don't know if it will translate to structure firefighting BUT running around wringing our hands about lack of training and no background checks is just silly. It's obvious that they would be very carefully selected, trained and equipped to the current standard and deployed in a way designed to minimize their liabilities.

That doesn't make it a good idea, but there's plenty to criticize without getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                              Big difference between inmate wild land FF supervised by CO's, than inmates being used as FF with no fire academy, no checks on them. If it's approved, then the VOTERS a deserve what they get.
                              Not true. I worked wild land FF for years prior to becoming a Deputy. The only time I saw a CO was in fire camp. For the most part the 3 firefighters were in charge of the inmates. If the inmate did something put of line they would wait till end of shift or call the CO out from camp to get the inmate. In CA for example the partnership with CDCR-state prison and either CAL-Fire or LA County Fire as been an awesome one. The camps or stations or are open with little to no fencing. CDCR screens inmates and they must meet a certain criteria and do the 2-3 week training period put on either by CAL Fire or LA County Fire. In some places the State Prison has a fire station on site staffed with a crossed trained FF/CO. The crew is inmates and depending where they are at they will respond to traffic accidents and fires close to the prison.

If Georgia is serious they would look at the CA model
                              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6030 users online. 360 members and 5670 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X