300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any WWII 'nuts' out there?

Today, at the local flea market, I spied a WWII machete. I've owned several over the years, but I've never seen one like THIS one before.

It's marked 'True Temper -1945-'. The blade is 17 7/8-inches long and retains most of its original finish. There are NO pits and NO rust on the blade. The blade has not been abused in any way.

The sheath is made from heavy OD canvas and has a reinforced tip. It's marked 'AVERY 1943' and is in MINT condition.

Back to the machete. Like I said, I've owned several WWII machetes and seen many more...but NEVER one with an original OLIVE DRAB handle.

I paid $35 for it. Tell me I did OK.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

I'm into WWII history but don't know anything about the machete.
    I started reading about WWII a few years ago as my Dad is a veteran. Dad dropped out of high school to join up, as many men did. He is now 81 and just received his honary high school diploma and a medal he qualified for but never got.
    Dad's plane was shot down over New Zealand. All the crew members survived but they were on the Japanese side of the island. It took 2 days but they made it to the American side. There, they were met with pointed guns and kept in isolation until it could be determined they were who they said they were. This is the only story my Dad ever told us and he won't talk about it now. My Mother said that it's because, like his brother, he held his best friend in his arms when he died.
    Dad came home and met my mother who worked in her mother's laundry shop. She said he has been throwing dirty clothes in her face ever since. lol They have been married 55 years. Dad is now 81, Mother is 74.
    It must have been really tough on my Dad, raising a family with no high school diploma. He cleaned boilers and then became a plumber at a local VA hospital.
    I was never really close to my Dad growing up. He must have seen a lot in the War because he is a very quiet man. You do not bring up the War to him as he gets upset.
    But now, at this age, I realize he has always been a fine man who cares about his family and his country. I am very proud and honored he is my father.

Comment

Want to buy a tank?

Comment

My grandfather was in the 'Chemical Corp'. Everytime 'Jerry' would drop some nasty stuff on the Allies, his bunch had to do the testing to see 'what' IT was...

Most of the time, however, he was either in on liberating 'death camps' or guarding POWs.

He sent home very few 'war trophies' and NEVER talked about 'what he did or saw'.
        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
        -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Hey Shooter - you seem to be getting more response here than over at TFL.

I'd say it's probably a good deal, and better than anything you might buy new at the local hardware store.
          Dave Kiefner
          [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:
            I paid $35 for it. Tell me I did OK.
            Well the bottom line here is this: If it was something that you wanted, and you could afford to pay the price, of course you did OK.

I haven't a clue as to what it is worth. $2.00 or $2,000.00 it doesn't really matter that much, if you got what you wanted. It's NOT something you'll find everyday.
            6P1 (retired)

Comment

On the topic of WWII history...just read a great book titled "Ghost Soldiers". Concerns the POW's from Bataan and the Ranger rescue mission to liberate them. A little known part of the pacific war. It is both horrifying and inspiring. I give it thumbs up. I'm sorry but I can not recall the author's name right now....loaned the book out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4807 users online. 267 members and 4540 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X