• Show
Clear All

• Video released of SC Trooper involved shooting

http://www.wistv.com/clip/10620673/w...olved-shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/justic...oper-shooting/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sean-gro...d-in-shooting/

What a disgrace

The victim is definitely lucky the officer was such a horrible shot

It is crazy how calm they both sound after the shooting. Thankfully the man wasn't killed. You always got to remember that police officers can not read minds, and no quick movements. Im not really sure this officer should be charged, that guy did almost dive into his car.

Comment

That was a very fast draw, followed by very poor marksmanship (good in this case)

I wonder if the trooper would of been fired/charged that quickly if it weren't for the recent Ferguson situation...

Comment

Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post
        That was a very fast draw, followed by very poor marksmanship (good in this case)

I wonder if the trooper would of been fired/charged that quickly if it weren't for the recent Ferguson situation...
        I doubt that Ferguson was a factor in the decision. Groubert was fired from the force last week after an investigation into the incident by the State Law Enforcement Division.

I wasn't there and I suspect the state did a thorough investigation.
        Retired

Comment

Regardless, it looks absolutely horrible to the public. A quick "dive" into the car isn't justification to shoot him - maybe draw and take cover. IMHO - he didn't even give the guy a chance to become a threat - at least not a deadly threat. This will only feed the already angry masses and the LE community doesn't need more officers killed by idiots who feed into it like in Las Vegas and Pennsylvania.

But whatever, I'm not a cop, so I'm sure people will b**ch that I'm wrong. I'm just sick of seeing cops getting killed because a cop 8 hours away did something questionable. Cop Block has over 1.1 million likes and they're already posting about this incident. I'm sure more than a few of them are capable of killing.
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Although an obviously bad shoot, I can understand where the cops mind was. The following is just my opinion: He stops the guy for whatever violation. Video says "seatbelt violation" It could be as simple as that or it could have been a pre-textual stop for a bigger issue. RedFlag #1 Guy is already out of the car by the time trooper gets out of his. Trooper approaches and ask the guy for his ID. My thoughts at this point are that the Trooper ASSUMED the guy would have his license in his pocket like 99 percent of people he's stopped. What the trooper didnt plan on was someone having their ID in a non-traditional location. Red Flag #2 was due to the Troop's assumptions, he wasnt expecting the guy to dive into the car like he did, thus he automatically expected the worst. Troop expected that the guy was not complying with his simple request for an ID and was instead about to come out of the vehicle with a weapon. Tunnel vision set in at that point and Troop sees the guy quickly come back out with something dark in his hand. WE now know, (AFTER THE FACT and we werent there in real time) that this object was a wallet or a phone. Since the Troop already has in his mind that the guy is reaching for a weapon, he sees the phone/wallet as a weapon and uses deadly force. I dont know this Trooper from adam but ive been in a similar situation so I can understand. Also we dont know what experiences this Trooper has had, if hes used deadly force before or had it used against him, these play into the totality of the circumstances IMO.
            "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
              Although an obviously bad shoot, I can understand where the cops mind was. The following is just my opinion: He stops the guy for whatever violation. Video says "seatbelt violation" It could be as simple as that or it could have been a pre-textual stop for a bigger issue. RedFlag #1 Guy is already out of the car by the time trooper gets out of his. Trooper approaches and ask the guy for his ID. My thoughts at this point are that the Trooper ASSUMED the guy would have his license in his pocket like 99 percent of people he's stopped. What the trooper didnt plan on was someone having their ID in a non-traditional location. Red Flag #2 was due to the Troop's assumptions, he wasnt expecting the guy to dive into the car like he did, thus he automatically expected the worst. Troop expected that the guy was not complying with his simple request for an ID and was instead about to come out of the vehicle with a weapon. Tunnel vision set in at that point and Troop sees the guy quickly come back out with something dark in his hand. WE now know, (AFTER THE FACT and we werent there in real time) that this object was a wallet or a phone. Since the Troop already has in his mind that the guy is reaching for a weapon, he sees the phone/wallet as a weapon and uses deadly force. I dont know this Trooper from adam but ive been in a similar situation so I can understand. Also we dont know what experiences this Trooper has had, if hes used deadly force before or had it used against him, these play into the totality of the circumstances IMO.
              After watching the video over again I was thinking the exact same thing.

It is still quite upsetting to watch nonetheless.Way to quick on the trigger,then again life or death decisions are made in an instant and there have been LEO's and armed citizens that have hesitated in similar situations and paid for it with their lives.

As for what you mentioned about him being in similar situations wher ehe had to use deadly force,the report stated that he had been awarded a medal of valor last year for an OIS where a suspect was opening fir in a bank parking lot;he wounded that suspect.

Comment

My thoughts:
                1. Stopping a car in a gas station lot for the driver not wearing a seat belt? Pretty petty. I always wear my seat belt on the road and feel bare without it and insist all passengers buckle up. But even I am guilty of slipping off the belt when pulling into the gas station.

2. I have been through several similar FATS shoot/don't shoot scenarios and this was just like a few of them. I can see what the Trooper's mindset could have been. I can see how he would be in fear of his life.

3. However, shots #3, and especially #4 were way overboard. The guy's hands were clearly up by shot #4.

Clearly, the guy is too jumpy to continue on in LE. But, I don't think salting him away in prison is the answer.

I wish every driver's ed course in the US would have a component about how to deal with traffic stops. I know better than to reach back into a vehicle and come back out like he did. A lot of people don't.

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
                  RedFlag #1 Guy is already out of the car by the time trooper gets out of his. Trooper approaches and ask the guy for his ID. My thoughts at this point are that the Trooper ASSUMED the guy would have his license in his pocket like 99 percent of people he's stopped. What the trooper didnt plan on was someone having their ID in a non-traditional location. Red Flag #2 was due to the Troop's assumptions, he wasnt expecting the guy to dive into the car like he did, thus he automatically expected the worst. Troop expected that the guy was not complying with his simple request for an ID and was instead about to come out of the vehicle with a weapon. .
                  I watched the video, like you said, the motorist suddenly and quickly turned and all but dived into the front seat, I certainly would have assumed he was going after a weapon and I'd bet a lot of people who watched the video thought the same thing.
                  I've never seen someone do what that guy did, you would expect when the officer asks for his license in that video that the motorist would do something such as act surprised and say "what did I do?" or "who, me?" not rush back into the open door.

Comment

Originally posted by Little_J_tittlesworth View Post
                    You always got to remember that police officers can not read minds, and no quick movements. Im not really sure this officer should be charged, that guy did almost dive into his car.
                    Sorry, but I just don't see it this way at all..

First off, it wasn't a proper stop.

If it was, what the officer should have done was order the driver back into the vehicle, then follow protocol.

The driver looked like he was surprised that the officer was even there.

Second, it's true that officers can't read minds, but you can't possibly suggest that every citizen should think of a LEO as a trigger happy idiot just looking for a reason to put you 6 feet under.

I honestly don't think any law abiding citizen would've done anything differently than what the victim did in this situation.

I mean, he was by all means following orders

Third, since when is a quick movement a reason to discharge your firearm wildly?

As for being charged, I feel the officer should be held to a higher level of accountability (and that goes for all LEO's involved in this kind of activity)

Comment

Originally posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post

If it was, what the officer should have done was order the driver back into the vehicle, then follow protocol.

Second, it's true that officers can't read minds, but you can't possibly suggest that every citizen should think of a LEO as a trigger happy idiot just looking for a reason to put you 6 feet under.

I honestly don't think any law abiding citizen would've done anything differently than what the victim did in this situation.

Third, since when is a quick movement a reason to discharge your firearm wildly?

As for being charged, I feel the officer should be held to a higher level of accountability (and that goes for all LEO's involved in this kind of activity)
                      Not to take away from your arguement. But the fact that you just used the term "protocol" lets me know that you have no idea what a "proper stop" would even consist of. Whenever someone says the word it makes my skin crawl, kinda how alot of people dont like the word "Moist".

Comment

double tap. ....
                        Last edited by lpstopper; 09-26-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

You guys all realize that all the anti LE trolls will now use this incident as proof that ALL cops are trigger happy racists right?

Comment

When I've been stopped, the officers have usually given me clear instructions as to how I should reach for my ID\paperwork. When they haven't, I've stated what I am reaching for with which hand and awaiting confirmation to do so. This officer just asked for it, gave zero clarifying instructions, then got surprised when the man did exactly what he asked.

99% of drivers don't keep their wallets in their pockets (nearly every female driver and any male who knows how uncomfortable it is to keep a wallet in their pocket while seated).

Then again, if I were that unskilled with a handgun, I guess I'd try to start shooting potential threats before they arose as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post

Once they are out of the vehicle, they stay outside the vehicle.

FB

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6026 users online. 360 members and 5666 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X