300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing traffic fines.

So there is a lot of complaining about cops only being used to generate money by writing tickets. People are saying we are only generating money for the city. I have noticed that no one has given an alternative to traffic fines. So what are some suggestions on alternatives.

Should we just put speeders in jail for 24 hours?

How about community service. 40 hours of service for speeding?

Or maybe something else.

I am curious to hear what non police suggestions are.

Not a non-cop, but... get rid of speed limits. Have them be suggested speed limits. Don't cite unless there is an accident or unless they are driving recklessly.

I've read articles, but haven't verified sources or the studies used, that say most people will drive what they feel comfortable with. Most accidents aren't caused by speed, but by differences in speed (compared to the rest of traffic). Also speed limits need to be set using the results of an engineering traffic study, not arbitrarily set.

Now there are more implications than simply not generating revenue. I dare say that a large chunk of people caught breaking the law starts with stopping them for traffic violations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
      Should we just put speeders in jail for 24 hours?

How about community service. 40 hours of service for speeding?
      Both FAR too expensive. Do you know how much it costs to keep someone in jail for a day? To supervise community service per hour?

Have them be suggested speed limits. Don't cite unless there is an accident or unless they are driving recklessly.
      On freeways I'd be OK with this. IIRC, in Germany on the Autobahn there is no speed limit, but if you're doing over 100kph and get in an accident you're automatically at fault. Both/ all drivers can be 100% at fault.

I dare say that a large chunk of people caught breaking the law starts with stopping them for traffic violations.
      Very true.
      Last edited by tanksoldier; 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Get rid of (or significantly raise) speed limits on Interstate highways -- but ONLY IF lane discipline is strictly enforced. Slower traffic should ALWAYS keep to the right. Second on the list, cite drivers who fail to use directional signals when turning or changing lanes.

If those two egregious offenses were aggressively targeted, the police would be too busy to write any speeding tickets.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
          People are saying we are only generating money for the city.
          Dunno about the other states, but around here "the city" gets only a fraction of the revenue from a traffic ticket. The rest goes to support the court system, EMS services, auto theft prevention, the state traumatic brain injury fund, the state general fund, etc.

You can probably find a few examples of podunk towns straddling freeways where they make big bucks writing for everything and anything but really, no one's going to balance the city budget writing traffic tickets.

Alternative programs just won't work. Mowing the lawn at the city park won't put money in the account that pays for upgrades to 911 call centers.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyBehind View Post
            Not a non-cop, but... get rid of speed limits. Have them be suggested speed limits. Don't cite unless there is an accident or unless they are driving recklessly.

I've read articles, but haven't verified sources or the studies used, that say most people will drive what they feel comfortable with. Most accidents aren't caused by speed, but by differences in speed (compared to the rest of traffic).

So suggesting speed limits will in what way make people drive different than they do now with a basically posted suggestion already.
            Now they get tickets for it and still everyone drives what they want to.
            Fools in the fast lane driving 5 miles under the limit,people speeding up to change lanes so they can exit because they didnt get in the correct lane a mile before and then hit their brakes.

I cant see myself where putting less focus on tickets will do much more than make some drive even worse.
            Atleast now most will slow down when they see a Unit.That may be the 5 seconds that saved their life over the next hill where grandma is doing 40 in a 70.

Comment

In my state, traffic fines alone are actually very reasonable. However, laws have been passed allowing various state, county and city agencies to add penalty assessments to those fines, sometimes turning a $100 ticket into a $400 citation and moving the overall cost into the realm of the obscene.

Depending on what county you are in, here are some of the penalty assessment folks standing in line with their hands out when you go to pay your citation: County Penalty Assessment; Court Facility Construction Penalty Assessment; Night Court Assessment; DNA Identification Fund Penalty Assessment; Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Penalty Assessment; Restitution Fund; Peace Officers’ Training Fund; Driver Training Penalty Assessment; Corrections Training Fund; Fish & Game Preservation Fund; Local Public Prosecutors and Public Defenders Training Fund; and Victim – Witness Assistance Fund.

If the Legislature would stop letting these leaches suck more and more blood from traffic violators, perhaps we would get a lot less resistance when we write a traffic citation and violators would accept in a more positive manner, the corrective action a citation is intended to elicit.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Although I think there is a definite argument for other systems as well as tickets - like driver education schemes and better driver training - I can't see a way round giving out tickets as well.

The cost of tickets in my state is huge. Speeding fines start at $219, rising up to $1,012. Other fines are similarly expensive.

It's not unheard of for people to walk away with tickets of two thousand bucks plus.

Comment

Easy fix. Tow their car, and put a hold on it dependent on how fast they were going. 25 over? 12 hour hold. 35 over? 24 hour hold. 40 over? 48 hour hold. Third offense of 35 or more over you are eligible for a seizure.

Nobody cares about fines. Especially these guys with a bunch of speeding tickets but a deep wallet. But they'll sure care when they have to take a cab to work the next day because they were driving without regard for anyone else on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What's wrong with generating revenue on the backs of speeders and the like? Personally, I like the idea that those people who behave badly, recklessly or otherwise inappropiately fund more of the costs of society.

The Government, on all levels, is going to find a way to fund itself. Eliminate traffic fines and ultimately somebody else, somewhere, will get hit with higher taxes and/or greater fees in order to compensate for the revenue shuffle.

Comment

I would like it if the general public was just better educated as to what a speeding citation actually is. Or any citation, for that matter.

If you commit a misdemeanor crime, there is typically a monetary fine that goes along with it. That's what a speeding citation is. Its the officer levying the fine for the crime you committed, should you choose to plead guilty. You have the right to face your accuser in court - that's why there is a court date. You can try to prove your innocence, just as with crime you may commit. But you can also plead guilty and pay the fine.

Its not a segregation of the judicial process, its a "speed pass" to the judicial process. Find someone that opposes the fines for speeding and ask them if they oppose the fines for drug possession as well. Or the fines associated with hit and run.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        What's wrong with generating revenue on the backs of speeders and the like? Personally, I like the idea that those people who behave badly, recklessly or otherwise inappropiately fund more of the costs of society.

The Government, on all levels, is going to find a way to fund itself. Eliminate traffic fines and ultimately somebody else, somewhere, will get hit with higher taxes and/or greater fees in order to compensate for the revenue shuffle.
                        Conflict of interest. Our current system makes traffic enforcement far more about revenue than about safety.

And tickets are a very inefficient means of revenue collection in terms of what it costs the person paying vs what the state actually pockets.

Comment

The way I see it, everybody hates the police till they need them. Everybody complains about the CHP and city motor officers until they see some jack***** driving like a maniac and putting everyone on the road in danger, then they get angry that they don't see the red and blues at every corner.

Comment

Take another look at Post 16. Hint.....it's your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve856
                              (4) A jail sentence, even a short one, for speeding (or a similar traffic violation) is highly inappropriate. While it is no big deal for a gangbanger to spend a night in jail, to an average person it is a huge deal, a potentially a life-damaging experience. Simply put, being arrested and jailed can really have extremely negative consequences to a person’s life. The arrested person may be taking care of a loved one who needs them, may be a single mother with kids who need to be picked up after school. That person may be easily fired from a job ("I am not going to be able to come to work tomorrow" "Why? Because I am going to jail") Or it may be a young person who is looking to become a police officer – spending time in jail will look poorly to the BI. Or pretty much to anybody who will at one time or another try to get any job will have his future screwed up. Good careers can be flushed down the drain. Being arrested, being found guilty, and spending time in jail may cost that person tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.
                              Traffic violations usually rank right below everything else important. No one goes to jail for a traffic ticket. Jails only have so many beds. Forget your rationale above. Who do you want released due to overcrowding. The rapist or the speeder? The burglar or druggie? The drunk or the petty thief?

Community service isn't volunteer. It's volun-ordered. You show up at the jail, or probation, or wherever and you go pick up trash on the freeway, or clean up the county park, or clean the city hall. It is a sentence, not a civic do-gooder act. Criminal Justice community service sentencing sucks, it is VERY menial work. You are not helping the homeless or feeding hungry people. You are doing jobs that you literally forced to be at.
                              Last edited by RGDS; 09-25-2014, 11:59 PM.
                              semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3309 users online. 170 members and 3139 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X