300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a good cop intro powerpoint for kids

Hey guys I am a 10 year police veteran and have just been assigned to a k-5 grade school as an School resource Officer. I am wanting to give a power point presentation on what police officers do that is age appropriate for the k-3rd graders. I would love any ideas or examples of what your depts. may do. thx

Do kids this age even watch power points? My kids are in this age group and I don't know if either one would pay any attention to a power point. Does the national SRO organization have any materials or videos?

Comment

Death by powerpoint for six year olds?
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Question: Why does an elementary school need an SRO? Are the kids committing that many crimes on campus, or is it just that the principal doesn't have the balls to do his job and wants to push discipline off onto someone else?
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

"Oo... kill 'em," ateamer.
          Super Secret Ninja Squirrel
          "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

After eighteen years as a D.A.R.E. Officer/SRO, I learned long ago that, especially with the K and 1st graders, you get a lot further with them by sitting on the floor with them and being "Officer Friendly".

At that age, their attention span is about as long as - well - let me just say SHORT.

You can get your message across much better that way than putting a PP presentation in front of them.

If the weather is nice, bring a nice, clean Po-Po car for them to see. Let them crawl around in it, turn the lights on for them, let them hit the siren a few times. That will make their day, and they will talk about your visit all day.

And don't forget to smile - - a LOT.

Also, if your department has Junior Officer/Deputy badge stickers or maybe pencils or some other "gimmees", be sure to bring those to give out. They will love that. "Mommy, look what a nice Policeman gave me today."

Just my .02 cents worth - from years of experience doing it.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
            "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

I had to do the Office Friendly thing a few times. Not having kids, and not exactly being comfortable around kids, I blathered at them for about five minutes and then asked if anyone had questions. That filled up the rest of the hour and then some. It was actually kind of fun.

Comment

Then you had to give the "All Rise"...

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I wish it would have been in courts! More like, hey, deputy so-and-so was going to talk at the elementary school but he has a subpoena so you need to do it. In 20 minutes. When you've never even seen an Officer Friendly deal before.

Thaaaaaaaaanks, sarge!

Comment

lol...thanks for the tips guys..now concerning the why SROs in elementary schools my state just got grants to put SROs in nearly every elementary school for at least 2 years so I volunteered for the position having my own lil ones and being a foster parent and such in the past.. but it stems from the school shooting in ct.

Comment

forget the power point - go interactive.

Get a spent taser cartridge and cut the probes off the ends of the wires and strip the coating back about an inch.

Have the kids stand with there arms intertwined in a big circle.

Had 1 wire to the kid on one end, the other wire to the kid on the other end.

the rest is self explanatory. 2 lessons in one - a science lesson, AND a "don't screw with the po-po" lesson! More bang for the buck! (pun intended)

Comment

"Hi kids...first, who has a mom who likes to drink too much, has lots of male visitors, and is sporting at least a D-cup?"

Has nothing to do with law enforcement but, you have to admit, it does have possibilities.
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3036 users online. 180 members and 2856 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X