Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Pays $33K to Settle Suit After Mistaking Jolly Ranchers for Meth

http://gawker.com/nypd-pays-33k-to-s...1630947348/all

Police claim they had no way of knowing if the little blue and red rocks were candy or meth—Jolly Rancher-branded wrappers and the men exiting a candy store notwithstanding.
    Last edited by BobShoof; 09-05-2014, 09:56 AM.

Originally posted by Steve856
    What happens to kids when a parent gets arrested? Surely, the officers couldn’t just haul the parent away, leaving a 3-year old by herself on the street. Would the 3-year old be transported to the station house as well?
    [/COLOR]
    short answer

Child Protective Services are called
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Don't know what happened here but occasionally people package and sell items that resemble narcotics in an effort to rip off addicts. Lots addicts in Coney Island.

Comment

The city probably settled this case for what it considers chump change in order to avoid the expense of a civil trial. The child would be taken by the PD and turned over to ACS or a close family member if one is available to pick up the child.

Comment

We would try to find a family member to take the child. ACS was always a last resort.

Comment

Back in the 1980s, I remember reading about a botched arrest for underage drinking. Some teens were cited for possessing beer, while being under the legal age of 21. The officer probably acted in good faith and took the unopened six-pack as evidence.

What brand of beer was it that caused the trouble? Why it was BIRCH beer, of course. :-)

Bad guys make mistakes, but sometimes the good guys can get it wrong as well.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Back in the crack war days guys would package and sell soap to look like crack. They would make a couple of bucks an skedaddle before an angry crack head came back.

Comment

Wrappers make no difference,nor does having a child round either .The OP likes to post threads trying to make police look bad from time to time. Used to they would use pixie sticks ,open them up and refill them with drugs then hand them out to kids to get them addicted or sell for them.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                  Don't know what happened here but occasionally people package and sell items that resemble narcotics in an effort to rip off addicts. Lots addicts in Coney Island.
                  Ya don't say! Hey OP, this might shock you, but sometimes drug dealers will rip off addicts with counterfeit substances. Now listen, you might wanna sit down for this next part, OK? Dealers will occasionally put drugs into packaging and containers that aren't clearly labeled "illegal drugs". Sometimes they'll even put those naughty substances in packages that were meant for other things! It's deplorable, really, but there just isn't much regulation in that industry.

As for shortsighted administrators paying off bull**** lawsuits, all that does is encourage more cockroach lawyers to emerge from the woodwork and sue for everything, but that's a different topic.

Comment

Sometimes they use their kids to stash their supplies.

Comment

Sometimes they have an accomplice create a diversion by yelling and screaming and the real stash is spirited away by yet a different accomplice. They also bring and use children to divert the cops attention and cause them to hesitate. It's organized crime. Some we win some we lose.

Comment

Kind of like this

http://qctimes.com/news/local/crime-...e10af54b1.html

Police arrested a Davenport woman they say purchased heroin with her 3-year-old daughter.

Amanda Rae Barrett, 26, appeared Friday for an initial hearing in Scott County District Court, Davenport. She is charged with child endangerment, an aggravated misdemeanor, and possession of a controlled substance, a serious misdemeanor.

She was arrested Wednesday and released the next day from the Scott County Jail after posting bond.

On June 27 about 11:19 p.m., Davenport police conducted surveillance on a red Cadillac DeVille as part of an ongoing heroin investigation. The vehicle was parked in front of Barrett's home in the 700 block of West 16th Street.

Police observed Barrett sitting in the vehicle with her daughter on her lap when she purchased .7 grams heroin, according to her arrest affidavit.

She was stopped by police after leaving the vehicle with her daughter, and officers spotted the heroin inside a small aluminum foil bundle on the ground, the affidavit states.

Police reports weren't updated Friday to reflect if the driver of the vehicle had been charged.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

At least it wasn't Skittles!!!!!
                          My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                            Ya don't say! Hey OP, this might shock you, but sometimes drug dealers will rip off addicts with counterfeit substances. Now listen, you might wanna sit down for this next part, OK? Dealers will occasionally put drugs into packaging and containers that aren't clearly labeled "illegal drugs". Sometimes they'll even put those naughty substances in packages that were meant for other things! It's deplorable, really, but there just isn't much regulation in that industry.

As for shortsighted administrators paying off bull**** lawsuits, all that does is encourage more cockroach lawyers to emerge from the woodwork and sue for everything, but that's a different topic.
                            Originally posted by Steve856
                            Actually, Chomp there is.

I’ve worked in the drug industry for many years; not in manufacturing or distributing directly (I only provided protection from competitors), so I do not have an intimate knowledge of the issues that you’ve described, but I do know that any of these acts that you’ve described is a very serious violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The introduction or delivery of misbranded drug is a violation of 21 U.S.C. § 331(a), misbranding of the drug is prohibited under 331(b), receipt and delivery for pay is prohibited under §331(c), manufacture -- §331(g), failure to register as a producer -- §331(p), failure to retain records -- §331(s), importation -- §331(t), and so forth.

Under §333, each of these violations is punishable by imprisonment of up to a year and fine of up to $1000 (3 yrs, and $10,000 for second offenses), but there are some restriction on the applicability of these statutes (cocaine is listed in my latest USP/NF, whereas some other drugs may not be; some violations apply to drugs in interstate commerce only; I have no idea about merging of these violations, etc.)

So even if all the drugs became “legal” overnight, a drug dealer on a street may still be potentially looking at many years in prison due to failure to follow the FDA laws.

Or am I wrong? Do police not arrest drug dealers due to failure to properly label drugs according to the FDA laws? If so, why not?
                            Ahem....................Steve,

Chomp was talking about there not being much regulation IN THE DRUG DEALING BUSINESS Not the Drug Industry

Comment

More than likely, this is what happened.

The drug dealer got a good, free, ACLU lawyer. The department attorneys looked at the evidence and realized that they could probably win, but would spend way more than $33k to do so. So, they settled. unfortunately these often become budgetary issues more than right/wrong issues. $33k is a lot of money to you and me, but not for the city of NY.

The OP has an agenda folks. Read his introduction and you will see. He is going to try and post every little thing he can find to prove that all cops are horrible, until he finally steps across the line (which he will) and the mods boot him.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3081 users online. 187 members and 2894 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X