• DEP_134
    replied
    now he's going some where where people love to pull pants down

Leave a comment:

• DEP_134
    replied
    that suv would get filed with .40cal after taking cover
    Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
    Who cares what he thought he was doing? What he did was assault someone.

The idiots who did this considered it a prank:

They probably would have died if they had tried that 'prank' on better prepared subjects.

Leave a comment:

• Carbonfiberfoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve856
    Interesting.

That’s actually one thing that I love about this forum: I am always learning. For example, what I’ve always thought that police consider important is frequently different than what police actually consider important.

As I understand it, motivation is never (or exceedingly rarely) an element of a crime. Mens rea is commonly an element, but motivation is not. Therefore, it makes sense that police officers not consider motivation when enforcing the law. The above comments appear to reflect that.

However, I would think that motivation is very relevant to preventing crimes. I don’t know how criminal minds work, and I understand that sometimes the thought process is stochastic and no matter what anyone does, there will be crimes without any reasons. But I would think that in a majority of cases a person has some sort of a motivation or some sort of a reason to kill someone, or rob someone, or shoplift.

Are police officers interested in mitigating crimes, and care about the motivation for crimes? Or do police officers not really care about prevention of crimes ex ante, and simply expend their resources on post-facto enforcement?

Thank you!
    Firstly, I am not a police officer. My quotes should not be attributed as such.

Secondly, for being such an eloquent person, your logical perspective (in this particular reply) appears to be exceedingly dense. If someone's motivation is to drive home (sounds innocent enough), but, they do it while intoxicated and end up killing an innocent family, who cares what their intention was? The result of their actions was an egregious felony, and that is what they should be held accountable for. I couldn't care less if every idiot who runs around parks pulling people's clothes off eats a .45 during their attempt.
    Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 09-29-2014, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Trauma1
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Not going to feed the troll no more
    Agreed. It's enough to give one a migraine.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-28-2014, 11:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied

Are police officers interested in mitigating crimes, and care about the motivation for crimes? Or do police officers not really care about prevention of crimes ex ante, and simply expend their resources on post-facto enforcement?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-28-2014, 11:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyVet
    replied
    Originally posted by usetobe View Post
    From what I am reading this started as a simple assault or battery. We don't know his intentions. He might of been only being stupid by pulling her shorts down. Without him making another attempt at something more, there isn't enough for sexual assault. His real problems began when she identified herself as a LEO and he ran. Then he attacked her when cornered under the staircase.
    Wrong. It matters not what his intentions were or what he was thinking. He committed indecent assault, a sexual offense in Pennsylvania, when he groped the marshal and pulled down her pants.

Leave a comment:

• usetobe
    replied
    From what I am reading this started as a simple assault or battery. We don't know his intentions. He might of been only being stupid by pulling her shorts down. Without him making another attempt at something more, there isn't enough for sexual assault. His real problems began when she identified herself as a LEO and he ran. Then he attacked her when cornered under the staircase.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Any thoughts?
    On this forum you get the answers you get. If they are "non responsive" ---so be it

This forum is a collection of cops-----(for a very long time ONLY COPS were allowed)----------------the civilians that participate are guests that are allowed by the new owners.

The cops talk "cop talk" and you are going to get answers in that vernacular for the most part. And yes, if you don't like it----don't participate. It's pure and simple.

In our mind----------we really dont' care what Flynn was thinking.........................And trust me------------you will continue getting answers on this forum that are from a Cop's point of view

We really don't care that you have spent your life hanging out in chat rooms and think you know how they should be run. This one is run the way it is...................the owners really let the long time forum members "run" and "police" the board ---and they only step in when things get out of hand. It works for us (the intended audience of this forum COPS)

Most of the time the offices participating in this forum are doing so on their OWN TIME. They are not representing their agency. They are using the time on the forum as recreation (or to help OTHER OFFICERS). The drivel that comes in from NON COPS are just something that we put up with because we like to use the forum.

If you can't put up with that ----------------------------I don't remember anyone begging you to join this forum.

Have the best day ever

Leave a comment:

• WillBrink
    replied
    Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
    Marshal is 5'5". Suspect is 6'4", 210 lbs. The Marshal took care of business.
    Well and fine, but does not change my point. Again, glad it worked out for her.

Leave a comment:

• NYCDep
    replied
    Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'm glad it ended well for the Marshal, but had he been larger and or armed, it may not have.
    Marshal is 5'5". Suspect is 6'4", 210 lbs. The Marshal took care of business.

Leave a comment:

• WillBrink
    replied
    I'm glad it ended well for the Marshal, but had he been larger and or armed, it may not have. I'm surprised any Marshall, especially a female marshal, would go jogging minus a means of self defense. I doubt she ever does that again.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyVet
    replied
    I'm with Iowa on this. Sexual assault is NOT a prank, nor does the perpetrator think it's a prank - although they might claim so when caught. Their motivation is control and disempowerment of the victim. They look for easy targets. This guy picked the wrong person and got off easy.

Leave a comment:

• BNWS
    replied
    Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
    I'm with Steve. I think this guy watched Sharking videos on the interwebz, and thought he was going to have some fun and do it too. There might have even been someone filming his actions that was not seen by the victims.

The fact that he was doing it during the day in busy areas, makes me think he was not seeking to do anything further at that time then what he did.

If you want to be disturbed, do a Google search for "Sharking videos" and watch some of the videos that these predators consider pranks.
    Lots of sexual offenders commit their crimes in broad day light an in crowded places. Subways are a prime place. Women are groped , rubbed up against and even masturbated in front of and in some cases ejaculated on in crowded subways. When I worked the beach detail in Coney Island there were guys that used to hang out under the board walk and look up women's skirts and masturbate while the women waited on a concession line. It got to be such a problem they had to push sand under the board walk to eliminate the problem. Don't let the time of day fool you. These guys try to melt away in the crowd. Ask any transit cop. These guys are probably more prevalent than your nighttime peeping tom.

Leave a comment:

• Carbonfiberfoot
    replied
    While I do not think that his behavior is in anyway acceptable, or funny, or a prank to me, and concur that Mr. Flynn should be punished for his attack, I also recognize that young people make poor choices and have a propensity to pull “pranks” that seem funny to them but not to others. Some teens and young adults simply have a different way of looking at the world than you or I do. Youtube is full of video of young people that purport to show young adults doing potentially very destructive and life-threatening actions. Giving someone a wedgie or pulling down running shorts seems pretty tame compared to some actions seen, for example, in
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylY6-7vAefE ,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB82EMFK8Ro ,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXBt0iIEXDk ,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRWc5px0eI
    It seems that such “pranks” are perpetrated by bored, white, middle-class males, who have really not been exposed to crime, or people who have been exposed to crime.

Or I am wrong, #1603? Is there anything in the story that would make it obvious that Mr. Flynn did not think that this was just a prank?
    Who cares what he thought he was doing? What he did was assault someone.

The idiots who did this considered it a prank:

They probably would have died if they had tried that 'prank' on better prepared subjects.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5208 users online. 310 members and 4898 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X