300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding used vehicles for small PD

I'm on the hunt for a new K9 vehicle for my small department. I know we won't be able to convince the mayor to buy a brand new vehicle this year and honestly the K9 vehicle doesn't need to be new.

Does anyone have anymore ideas of places I could look into? I called the bigger county department around here but they don't have any road worthy vehicles they are taking off the road. And most departments around here don't retire vehicles until they absolutely have to.
    So I'm trying to think of bigger cities/counties that retire vehicles early mostly because of milage. (East coast)
    I browsed govdeals but they don't have much listed as far as good looking police vehicles go. Not to mention we'd prefer something 4wd or AWD. But honestly I'd present anything and everything.

I used to work for a dept that purchased state patrol cruisers that were rotated out of their fleet. Anything like that where you are at?

This may sound kind of corny, but if you have a good relationship with your citizens, look into some type of fundraiser/chicken roast or something. Have the county animal shelter bring in some dogs for adoption. Have an animal control officer set up a dog registration table, see if the ASPCA wants a table, etc. People love dogs. Get the local media involved. Maybe a bounce house and a snow cone machine... See if any local veteranians or kennels would like to advertise or set up a table in exchange for a donation to the cruiser fund. Do some K9 demonstrations. There are a lot of creative things you can do with this to raise funds and turn it into a community/police event.
    Last edited by just joe; 09-02-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post

This may sound kind of corny, but if you have a good relationship with your citizens, look into some type of fundraiser/chicken roast or something. Have the county animal shelter bring in some dogs for adoption. Have an animal control officer set up a dog registration table, see if the ASPCA wants a table, etc. People love dogs. Get the local media involved. Maybe a bounce house and a snow cone machine... See if any local veteranians or kennels would like to advertise or set up a table in exchange for a donation to the cruiser fund. Do some K9 demonstrations. There are a lot of creative things you can do with this to raise funds and turn it into a community/police event.
      A neighboring city to my old PD did this. They made enough for a brand new Tahoe with a really nice cage and temperature sensors that turns the vehicle on when it gets too hot or cold inside for the dog.

Comment

I think the Kansas Highway Patrol has a used vehicle program
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Does WV have a WV Chief's Association with email for members? In Florida donation requests happen all the time between governments. Also check PropertyRoom.com
          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Check with Southwest Police Supply - which sells high-quality used (reconditioned) police cruisers to the public AND to other agencies. They are located in Texas.

http://www.swps.net

http://www.swps.com/used-police-cars---vehicles.html

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Thanks guys!! I'll look into it all. Our town is A LOT like Mayberry. Although we don't even have one stop light... I went from a busy city to a town where everyone already knows my name and they all wave.
              I'm sure fundraising may work if chief and the mayor would be ok with it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3729 users online. 218 members and 3511 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X