300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff's Dept vs. Local PD

I'm looking to get into law enforcment and i'm looking for good career advice. I'll be testing for both DPS and CBP within the next two weeks. However, My local Police Dept. and Sheriif's Dept. will be hiring starting Jan. 2015. Therefore, I was just wondering exactly what is the difference between Local PD and Sheriff's Dept. Any and all info and input is appreciated, pros, cons, career advancement, pay, ETC....

Thanks

In Ohio, the sheriff provides security for county buildings and the courts, administers and maintains the county jail, serves civil process papers and subpoenas, and provides police services to the unincorporated areas of the county, and to areas that contract for their services (as well as a few other things).

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      In Ohio, the sheriff provides security for county buildings and the courts, administers and maintains the county jail, serves civil process papers and subpoenas, and provides police services to the unincorporated areas of the county, and to areas that contract for their services (as well as a few other things).
      pretty much the same for Iowa
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Contact your local departments or go to their websites. Each agency has a little bit different responsibility.

Typically the sheriff's office will be responsible for the unincorporated areas and the jail.

Comment

In many areas, sheriff departments provide the same LE services as the local PD. One difference is that the sheriff has jurisdiction over the entire county to include the PDs limited jurisdiction. The deputies also serve arrest and civil warrants.

In many metro areas, as stated by my colleagues, the sheriff department main service is to run the jails, the courthouses, and serve civil process.

I'd imagine in AZ the first type of SD applies to you.
          One other thing to consider: very few sheriff departments utilize two officer units. You're generally on your own in rural areas where back up may be many minutes away.
          SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

1) Uhm, I really recommend you go to each department website and educate yourself. Unless those jurisdictions are ran by cavemen the www should answer ALL your questions.

2) As stated by the members above the general rule is......
            sheriff = jail/civil process/courts/county-wide cop stuff
            police = city cop stuff

3) Some may differ a bit but that's it. Lastly, sheriff's TYPICALLY make a little less than the PD whether it be $, bennies, etc.
            Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
            “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
            “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
            "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
            ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              Same for VA. Typically here city gets paid more but county gets take home cars.

Comment

Sheriff Deputy = generally wears browns or greens
                Police Department = generally wears blues or black

To get any more specific, you really need to do what the others said and research the specific departments.

Comment

In Virginia, a city, a town and a county may have their own police department -- but every county AND independent city will usually have a sheriff's office {but never a sheriff's DEPARTMENT}.

In larger metro areas, the PD will handle patrol duties, 911 calls and traffic enforcement.......while the sheriff will be responsible for warrants, civil process, prisoner transport, evictions, courthouse security, jail operation, etc., etc. When you get out into rural areas, they may not have a police department (such as where I was a deputy) and the sheriff's office is responsible for everything - known as a "full service" agency. About 2/3 of the counties in VA don't have a PD.

Some deputies are "full-grown bears" who are law enforcement qualified, while others might just be jailers. Every agency is different.

As stated above, sheriff's deputies generally wear brown or tan uniforms -- and police officers will often wear blue, gray or black uniforms.

** EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT; SO IT MIGHT VARY GREATLY FROM PLACE TO PLACE. **

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I believe that the OP was asking about local agencies in Arizona, not the rest of the nation.
                    Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                      I believe that the OP was asking about local agencies in Arizona, not the rest of the nation.

Nope--------------no where does he talk about the state of Arizona

He specifically asks for ANY AND ALL INFO

Originally posted by MIRACLE View Post
                      I'm looking to get into law enforcment and i'm looking for good career advice. I'll be testing for both DPS and CBP within the next two weeks. However, My local Police Dept. and Sheriif's Dept. will be hiring starting Jan. 2015. Therefore, I was just wondering exactly what is the difference between Local PD and Sheriff's Dept. Any and all info and input is appreciated, pros, cons, career advancement, pay, ETC....

Thanks

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
                      [color=blue]
                      {but never a sheriff's DEPARTMENT}.

AND you would be wrong

The LARGEST Sheriff AGENCY in the country is the Los Angles Sheriff's DEPARTMENT

http://sheriff.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/lasd
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        Nope--------------no where does he talk about the state of Arizona

He specifically asks for ANY AND ALL INFO

AND you would be wrong

The LARGEST Sheriff AGENCY in the country is the Los Angles Sheriff's DEPARTMENT

http://sheriff.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/lasd

I don't agree with you. He said "However, My local Police Dept. and Sheriif's Dept. will be hiring starting Jan. 2015." His profile says he is from Tucson, Az. Logical to assume he is referring to Arizona departments.
                        Retired

Comment

Regardless of whether the OP was requesting info on sheriff's departments in general or AZ specifically, the general information given above is correct for most Western states: Sheriffs and their deputies are responsible for operation of the jail, security of the courts, prisoner transport, service of civil processes and patrol of unincorporated areas. They also generally have concurrent jurisdiction in incorporated areas, and often are contracted to provide police service in incorporated areas as well.

Local PDs are generally much more focused on their limited jurisdiction, and have fewer of the peripheral responsibilities... tho they usually provide security for the municipal court and perform some transport functions related to that court. A local PD _may_ have more diverse special duty assignments.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                              Not many people remember this.
                              Retired

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4698 users online. 275 members and 4423 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X