300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I was president

i would put all warrants into a national database and actually have them served. Hire more US marshalls and more cops. The speeding ticket you got in Anchorage, 1986 comes home to roost. While you may get off cause the officer is no longer on the force, you would still pay contempt of court fees. Say $1000.00to $5000.00. Or 30 days to 6 months in prison. Plus the cost of prosecution.

I'd start with a six month amnesty program, turn yourself in, clear the old warrants. After that, if you are stopped, and found to have a warrant ( even for littering) you get brought into the station. You get held for transport ( which you pay for,or do more time,. This time can be picking up crap on the side of the road or whatever).

The country could rebuild it's infrastructure with free inmate labor,or at least clean the roads. When you write a stop sign ticket or quality of life ticket,and it is ignored, when the offender goes overseas for a trip and comes back, surprise,they now have to pay the piper,even if it's 20 years past due.

The local circuit court clerks would love you for this plan too lol.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I picked up a guy last week on a warrant that was issued by our agency in 2001..............................Failure to register as a Sex Offender. I believe the date of occurrence was in 1997 and it took until 2001 to figure out he was not in compliance...

Idiot had been in prison in TX in 1999-2008 and just moved back to Iowa in 2014--------then got stopped for a traffic violation BINGO NCIC hit on our warrant.............
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What Constitutional business does the federal government have enforcing state and local law?

The federal government overreaches too much already. Having US Marshals tracking down municipal bench warrants for 20 year old traffic tickets is a waste of time and resources, not to mention a perversion of our federal system. The federal government has certain specific responsibilities... no less, but no more. It needs to stay that way.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

This plus infinity.

As much as I support LE, and want you to get all the bad guys, the reality is that sometimes despite your best efforts, you aren't. Some people simply are going to get away with stuff and escape the consequences for stuff.

I am willing to accept that, rather than get the feds involved in the day to day minutiae of local/state LE, which is what clearing warrants is.

This is a case IMO where the suggested cure would be worse than the disease.

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
          What Constitutional business does the federal government have enforcing state and local law?

The federal government overreaches too much already. Having US Marshals tracking down municipal bench warrants for 20 year old traffic tickets is a waste of time and resources, not to mention a perversion of our federal system. The federal government has certain specific responsibilities... no less, but no more. It needs to stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ink Stained Wretch View Post
            This plus infinity.

As much as I support LE, and want you to get all the bad guys, the reality is that sometimes despite your best efforts, you aren't. Some people simply are going to get away with stuff and escape the consequences for stuff.
            I don't believe that...
            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Don't US Marshals already do that on their "down time"? Could of swore I've stopped by the jail a time or two to see Marshals with failure to appear/contempt of court arrestees?

Comment

Originally posted by irish156 View Post
                Don't US Marshals already do that on their "down time"? Could of swore I've stopped by the jail a time or two to see Marshals with failure to appear/contempt of court arrestees?
                Unless I'm much mistaken those are always tied to federal cases. Federal FTA, Federal contempt, etc. They may have state charges as well, or find people with state wants while looking for federal fugitives, but they don't usually go out looking for people with no federal connection.

...or, perhaps, when a fugitive appears to have fled the state of jurisdiction.

However, there's a world of difference between that an what the OP is proposing.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-31-2014, 07:48 PM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Unless I'm much mistaken those are always tied to federal cases. Federal FTA, Federal contempt, etc. They may have state charges as well, or find people with state wants while looking for federal fugitives, but they don't usually go out looking for people with no federal connection.

...or, perhaps, when a fugitive appears to have fled the state of jurisdiction.

However, there's a world of difference between that an what the OP is proposing.
                  The US Marshal's Fugitive Task Force in the Northern District AND the Southern District of Iowa do warrant services on ANY warrant active in the state. It's a joint effort of City/County/State/Federal Officers and go after all fugitives.
                  Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-31-2014, 08:00 PM.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Like I said, hire more cops. They local cops do the arresting/jailing. So Susan has a prostitution warrant out from daytona 1990. Never showed. She is in Portland maine now and when she gets stopped, if the warrant even shows, it is not enforced, it is in state only. My proposal is to hook her, book her and the Marshalls can take her down south on the first avail flight.
                    You get more hires,more money coming in and less people ignoring their citations. Just sayin..

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      It's a joint effort of City/County/State/Federal Officers and go after all fugitives.
                      ...so it's a joint task force. STILL not the feds going out on their own and looking for municipal FTAs.

hire more cops
                      Oh, well.... why didn't I think of that?

Just hire more cops. States can print their money to pay for it.

Comment

The Marshals do that to an extent in my area too, there's a good relationship between them and local LE.

The thing is, they get involved when there's somebody really dangerous on the loose. They don't go after whores or people with 20-year-old parking tickets, nor IMO should they.

I know I'm probably out of tune with folks on a LE board, and I know the OP is just tossing something out for discussion purposes on a discussion board, the president of the U.S. doesn't have the power to do what he's suggesting. But I really can't get worked up enough over a whore or somebody who ran a stop sign in 1982 and didn't pay their ticket "being brought to justice no matter how long it takes" to get the feds involved just to get more fine money and free labor to repair the infrastructure, although God knows states and cities could use the money and it's going to take a lifetime to get this country's infrastructure back up to snuff. There's no way in this or any known solar system you're going to get that past the politicians, who still get to make the laws, either, you would hear the name "Javert" tossed around a lot in the debate.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        The US Marshal's Fugitive Task Force in the Northern District AND the Southern District of Iowa do warrant services on ANY warrant active in the state. It's a joint effort of City/County/State/Federal Officers and go after all fugitives.
                        Last edited by Ink Stained Wretch; 08-31-2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

just to get more fine money and free labor to repair the infrastructure,
                          ...and it costs more money to track them down than you would get. How many man-hours to track down a 20 year old municipal FTA with a $50 bail?

Comment

LE where I'm at does a warrant roundup about twice a year on such cases. They even tell people the roundups are coming, although not exactly when of course, because they put out the word: If there's a warrant out for your arrest, turn yourself in before X date; if you owe a fine, traffic or otherwise, pay it before X date. Because if you don't, we are going to come arrest you (and your picture may be in the paper or on TV or online for all your friends and family to see, because the media is always there), you're going to have a "come to Jesus" with the judge and you're not going home until you get this settled up. And they follow through on it.

I'm all for that, but not for getting the feds involved any more than they are.

Comment

...and it costs more money to track them down than you would get. How many man-hours to track down a 20 year old municipal FTA with a $50 bail?
                              In most jurisdictions those types of warrants are only served when the person gets stopped for some traffic violation and NCIC hits on them.

My sheriff isn't shy about going around to get someone on one of our warrants---------------today I went and picked up one in a neighboring county on a Theft warrant. She was stopped yesterday on a traffic stop and hit. She saw the magistrate in that county then they called us to pick her up................It WAS a bordering counties only pickup (per the sheriff).

Others----------anything above a misdemeanor---------we have statewide pickups and Felony warrants are usually Nationwide.

I get a lot of windshield time

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6115 users online. 370 members and 5745 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X